Irish Reverend Serves as Guest Lecturer
On Monday, February 25, the Irish Studies Program hosted a guest lecture by Reverend Bill Shaw, OBE, Director of the 174 Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland. He presented, “Building Peace and Reconciliation in Northern Ireland: A Personal Perspective.”
Shaw, a Presbyterian minister from North Belfast, Northern Ireland, grew up in the Loyalist (Protestant) area of that city. He graduated from Queen's University in Belfast and became a minister in 1989, during the time of "the Troubles," when violence between Catholics and Protestants was constant. He became the director of the 174 Trust, a non-denominational community-based organization in one of the most divided and disadvantaged areas of North Belfast. Situated in the middle of "Murder Mile," where more than 20% of all murders related to the Troubles occurred, the Trust is committed to building peace and promoting reconciliation in what continues to be a divided—and at times violent—society.
His lecture was co-sponsored by the Irish Studies Program, the William and Helen Cavanaugh Chair of Catholic Studies, the Ethics minor, and the International Studies Program.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference