Irish Reverend Serves as Guest Lecturer
On Monday, February 25, the Irish Studies Program hosted a guest lecture by Reverend Bill Shaw, OBE, Director of the 174 Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland. He presented, “Building Peace and Reconciliation in Northern Ireland: A Personal Perspective.”
Shaw, a Presbyterian minister from North Belfast, Northern Ireland, grew up in the Loyalist (Protestant) area of that city. He graduated from Queen's University in Belfast and became a minister in 1989, during the time of "the Troubles," when violence between Catholics and Protestants was constant. He became the director of the 174 Trust, a non-denominational community-based organization in one of the most divided and disadvantaged areas of North Belfast. Situated in the middle of "Murder Mile," where more than 20% of all murders related to the Troubles occurred, the Trust is committed to building peace and promoting reconciliation in what continues to be a divided—and at times violent—society.
His lecture was co-sponsored by the Irish Studies Program, the William and Helen Cavanaugh Chair of Catholic Studies, the Ethics minor, and the International Studies Program.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins