Irish Reverend Serves as Guest Lecturer
On Monday, February 25, the Irish Studies Program hosted a guest lecture by Reverend Bill Shaw, OBE, Director of the 174 Trust, Belfast, Northern Ireland. He presented, “Building Peace and Reconciliation in Northern Ireland: A Personal Perspective.”
Shaw, a Presbyterian minister from North Belfast, Northern Ireland, grew up in the Loyalist (Protestant) area of that city. He graduated from Queen's University in Belfast and became a minister in 1989, during the time of "the Troubles," when violence between Catholics and Protestants was constant. He became the director of the 174 Trust, a non-denominational community-based organization in one of the most divided and disadvantaged areas of North Belfast. Situated in the middle of "Murder Mile," where more than 20% of all murders related to the Troubles occurred, the Trust is committed to building peace and promoting reconciliation in what continues to be a divided—and at times violent—society.
His lecture was co-sponsored by the Irish Studies Program, the William and Helen Cavanaugh Chair of Catholic Studies, the Ethics minor, and the International Studies Program.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes