College to Host Science Exploration Days May 15-16
For the 43rd year, St. John Fisher College will be hosting Science Exploration Days, an event which brings together many individuals from the community, industry, and academia to share their interest in science and science-based technology with students. The two-day event kicks off on Thursday, May 15, with a Family Science Activity Night that is free and open to the public from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. in the College’s Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Athletic Center.
The event features professional interactive demonstrations and hands-on activities. Scientists and technicians at each exhibit station will share their enthusiasm and knowledge. Areas of interest include wildlife, chemistry, plastics technology, model airplanes, DNA, astronomy, and much more. This program is appropriate for all ages.
Science Exploration Days (SED) is a unique program in New York State. It brings junior and senior high school students from the six counties of Central Western Section/Science Teachers Association of New York State (CWS/STANYS) to the Fisher campus to attend science-related talks, workshops, and demonstrations on campus. These sessions, scheduled to take place on Friday, May 16, are not open to the public. Schools from the six-county area were invited to participate and were required to pre-register. The visiting students and teachers will use Fisher’s classrooms and laboratories. The goal of the program is to encourage student involvement in science and to showcase the different ways science and technology impact everyday lives.
“Exhibits have changed and evolved through the years as has the Rochester scientific community and academia. Truly, Science Exploration Days’ evening program is a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) event that brings together members of the Rochester community, industry, and academia to share their interest in science and science-based technologies for hands-on and minds-on enrichment experiences,” said Sheila Brady-Root, one of the event organizers.
Over these four decades, nearly 100,000 Rochester-area students, from both junior and senior high school, have participated in STEM (scientific, technology, engineering, and mathematics) hands-on enrichment.
For more information, contact Brady-Root, St. John Fisher College Liaison, (585) 218-9642, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference