Nominations Sought for Jennifer Koon Courage Awards
The Jennifer Koon Peacemaking Foundation at St. John Fisher College has issued a call for nominations for this year's Jennifer Koon Courage Awards. Two awards are given annually: one to a Fisher student, and the other to a member of the Rochester community. Nominations are due no later than Friday, January 22.
Award recipients are those who are committed to peacemaking and strive to make the world a better and more peaceful place in some or all of the following ways:
- By actively demonstrating respect for all persons, regardless of the situation
- By promoting peace and peacemaking among peer groups
- By striving for peace through creative mediation and conflict resolution
- By helping others become more peaceful persons through tact, empathy, and patience
- By encouraging dialogue among persons with opposing viewpoints
- By displaying compassion and wisdom, loving "the other" through it all
Nominations for the Courage Awards should include: a nominating letter that addresses the award criteria; a brief biography of the candidate; a résumé (if available); and any other pertinent information that highlights the candidate's eligibility. In addition, submissions should include the candidate's name, phone number, email address, and mailing address, as well as the name and contact information of the person who submits the nomination.
Please mail all nominations to Jennifer Koon Courage Awards, c/o Dr. Linda MacCammon, Director, Peace & Social Justice Studies Program, St. John Fisher College, 3690 East Avenue, Rochester, N.Y. 14618, or email to email@example.com.
The Jennifer Koon Courage Awards will be presented at "The Road Less Traveled: Celebrating Lives of Peace, Service, and Social Activism" event on Thursday, February 18 at 7:00 p.m. at St. John Fisher College.
The Jennifer Koon Peacemaking Foundation supports peace and peacemaking as distinctive and active processes. Peacemakers foster and maintain positive and supportive relationships that model respect for persons and groups and the environment that everyone shares.
Jennifer's parents established the foundation in Jennifer's honor and memory after she was murdered in 1993 during her sophomore year at St. John Fisher College. The great peace activist, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, once wrote, "There is no way to peace along the way of safety. For peace must be dared. It is the great venture. It can never be safe." During her brief life, Jennifer dared to be a peacemaker and exemplified the characteristics that the College wishes to honor with the Jennifer Koon Courage Awards.
Check out photos from Relay for Life 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Class of 2016 to Graduate from St. John Fisher College Saturday
- Awards Recognize Excellence within the School of Pharmacy
- Fisher Students Contribute to Freshman Survival Guide
- Professor Shares Business Expertise through Fulbright, Aims to Erupt Economic Development on Volcanic Island of Rodrigues
- Chemistry Students Present Research at Regional Symposium
- Unither Scholars Program Benefits Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students
- Speed Networking Connects Students, Industry Leaders
- Ceremony Honors Service-Learning Efforts at Fisher