Lavery Library Presents "El Campo: La Crisis En Silencio" Exhibit
Lavery Library's latest exhibit, "El Campo: La Crisis En Silencio (Rural Mexico's Silent Crisis)," is on display through December 22 at St. John Fisher College. The exhibit features photographs by Joseph Sorrentino, taken during his trips to rural Mexico in 2003 and 2008. Featured in the Lower Level Gallery, the exhibit is free and open to the public.
Sorrentino's photographs document the state of crisis in Mexico's rural areas. More than 80 percent of campesinos (rural workers or small farmers) are defined as "extremely poor," meaning that they earn less than $2 per day. During his travels, Sorrentino spent time in approximately 15 villages throughout five Mexican states. He photographed campesinos who grew gourmet coffee, nopal (an edible cactus), jicama (a root vegetable), cacao, and vanilla to sell. They also grew corn and beans for their own consumption.
The situation Sorrentino captured through his lens was the same in every village: dire poverty. The only glimmer of hope that he saw lies in organizations that promote fair trade. These organizations pay campesinos more for their goods and provide programs designed to lift them out of poverty. A recent study showed that fair trade can double a campesino's income. These organizations are also working to preserve traditional ways of living and are promoting organic farming and sustainable living. Sorrentino's photographs help share the story of his experiences as he followed the fair trade movement over the past several years.
In celebration of the exhibit, a reception will be held on Thursday, November 12 at 6 p.m. in Lavery Library on the lower level. Sorrentino will attend to discuss his work and his story.
Parking is available in Lots A and B off of the main entrance to the College at East Ave./Fairport Road. The exhibit is handicapped accessible.
For more information about "El Campo: La Crisis En Silencio," please contact Nancy Greco, Reference Librarian and Head of Circulation, at (585) 385-8139 or email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Martínez-Hernández, Rovira-Figueroa, and Eaton presented at STANYS Conference
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement