Lavery Library Presents "El Campo: La Crisis En Silencio" Exhibit
Lavery Library's latest exhibit, "El Campo: La Crisis En Silencio (Rural Mexico's Silent Crisis)," is on display through December 22 at St. John Fisher College. The exhibit features photographs by Joseph Sorrentino, taken during his trips to rural Mexico in 2003 and 2008. Featured in the Lower Level Gallery, the exhibit is free and open to the public.
Sorrentino's photographs document the state of crisis in Mexico's rural areas. More than 80 percent of campesinos (rural workers or small farmers) are defined as "extremely poor," meaning that they earn less than $2 per day. During his travels, Sorrentino spent time in approximately 15 villages throughout five Mexican states. He photographed campesinos who grew gourmet coffee, nopal (an edible cactus), jicama (a root vegetable), cacao, and vanilla to sell. They also grew corn and beans for their own consumption.
The situation Sorrentino captured through his lens was the same in every village: dire poverty. The only glimmer of hope that he saw lies in organizations that promote fair trade. These organizations pay campesinos more for their goods and provide programs designed to lift them out of poverty. A recent study showed that fair trade can double a campesino's income. These organizations are also working to preserve traditional ways of living and are promoting organic farming and sustainable living. Sorrentino's photographs help share the story of his experiences as he followed the fair trade movement over the past several years.
In celebration of the exhibit, a reception will be held on Thursday, November 12 at 6 p.m. in Lavery Library on the lower level. Sorrentino will attend to discuss his work and his story.
Parking is available in Lots A and B off of the main entrance to the College at East Ave./Fairport Road. The exhibit is handicapped accessible.
For more information about "El Campo: La Crisis En Silencio," please contact Nancy Greco, Reference Librarian and Head of Circulation, at (585) 385-8139 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year