Kathrine Torres '08 Receives First Year Teacher of the Year Award from RCSD
Kathrine Torres, a 2008 graduate of St. John Fisher College, is the recipient of a First Year Teacher of the Year Award from the Rochester City School District. The award was presented to Torres last spring.
Torres is a fifth grade teacher at RCSD School #33. She received her bachelor's degree in elementary and special education, with a minor in educational technology. Torres is currently enrolled in the Master's in Literacy Program at Fisher.
Recipients of the First Year Teacher of the Year Award are nominated based on recommendations from their mentors. Torres was nominated by her mentor, Shawn Daniels, and her administrator, Bill Atkins. Daniels said that Torres's interaction with her students is outstanding. She uses well-structured centers and small reading groups, which enable her to focus on individual student learning, with an emphasis on setting high goals for all of her students. Daniels went on to say that Torres has superb questioning skills that lead her students to reflect daily on their progress.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- What to Expect at Orientation 2016
- Advice Straight from the Orientation Team
- New Greater Amsterdam School District Superintendent an Ed.D. Grad
- Bills Selected to Attend Workshop on Medicinal Chemistry
- Fisher Launches New TV Campaign
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Full Accreditation
- Comedian, Former Presidential Speech Writer Headline Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Pharmacy Students Earn 100 Percent Pass Rate on New York State Licensing Exam