Kathrine Torres '08 Receives First Year Teacher of the Year Award from RCSD
Kathrine Torres, a 2008 graduate of St. John Fisher College, is the recipient of a First Year Teacher of the Year Award from the Rochester City School District. The award was presented to Torres last spring.
Torres is a fifth grade teacher at RCSD School #33. She received her bachelor's degree in elementary and special education, with a minor in educational technology. Torres is currently enrolled in the Master's in Literacy Program at Fisher.
Recipients of the First Year Teacher of the Year Award are nominated based on recommendations from their mentors. Torres was nominated by her mentor, Shawn Daniels, and her administrator, Bill Atkins. Daniels said that Torres's interaction with her students is outstanding. She uses well-structured centers and small reading groups, which enable her to focus on individual student learning, with an emphasis on setting high goals for all of her students. Daniels went on to say that Torres has superb questioning skills that lead her students to reflect daily on their progress.
Latest College News Stories
- Alumni Association Board Welcomes New Members
- St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing Receives Federal Grant
- CCNE On-Site Evaluation Scheduled
- St. John Fisher College Breaks Ground for New Science Building
- AP Summer Institute Held at Fisher
- St. John Fisher College Appoints Interim Dean of School of Business
- Alumnae Receive Top Honors at Local Public Relations Industry Awards
- Bain Travels to Ireland
- Cyber Café Courtyard Open
- St. John Fisher College Elects New Board Member
- Alumnus Honored by American Medical Association Foundation
- TriBeta Students Present Work at National Convention
- Alumnus Honors Two Basilian Fathers Through Classroom Dedication
- College Bound Program Holds Graduation Ceremony
- Fisher’s United Way Co-Chairs Named “Shining Stars”