Kathrine Torres '08 Receives First Year Teacher of the Year Award from RCSD
Kathrine Torres, a 2008 graduate of St. John Fisher College, is the recipient of a First Year Teacher of the Year Award from the Rochester City School District. The award was presented to Torres last spring.
Torres is a fifth grade teacher at RCSD School #33. She received her bachelor's degree in elementary and special education, with a minor in educational technology. Torres is currently enrolled in the Master's in Literacy Program at Fisher.
Recipients of the First Year Teacher of the Year Award are nominated based on recommendations from their mentors. Torres was nominated by her mentor, Shawn Daniels, and her administrator, Bill Atkins. Daniels said that Torres's interaction with her students is outstanding. She uses well-structured centers and small reading groups, which enable her to focus on individual student learning, with an emphasis on setting high goals for all of her students. Daniels went on to say that Torres has superb questioning skills that lead her students to reflect daily on their progress.
Check out photos from Move In Day 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Event Registers 60 Bone Marrow Donors
- Employees Recognized for Milestone Service Years
- Women’s Basketball Team Hosts Toy Drive during Crosstown Basketball Tournament
- College to Host 17th Annual Day of Celebration
- National Conference Offers Fisher Students Chance to Network with PR Pros
- Business Students Find Success at BGS Summit
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Senator Rich Funke, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals Launch Safe Medication Disposal Campaign
- For Fifth Consecutive Year, Students Take First in Regional Tax Competition