Kathrine Torres '08 Receives First Year Teacher of the Year Award from RCSD
Kathrine Torres, a 2008 graduate of St. John Fisher College, is the recipient of a First Year Teacher of the Year Award from the Rochester City School District. The award was presented to Torres last spring.
Torres is a fifth grade teacher at RCSD School #33. She received her bachelor's degree in elementary and special education, with a minor in educational technology. Torres is currently enrolled in the Master's in Literacy Program at Fisher.
Recipients of the First Year Teacher of the Year Award are nominated based on recommendations from their mentors. Torres was nominated by her mentor, Shawn Daniels, and her administrator, Bill Atkins. Daniels said that Torres's interaction with her students is outstanding. She uses well-structured centers and small reading groups, which enable her to focus on individual student learning, with an emphasis on setting high goals for all of her students. Daniels went on to say that Torres has superb questioning skills that lead her students to reflect daily on their progress.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Perales Tapped to Serve as Fisher's Interim VP for Enrollment Management
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article