Accounting Students Compete in 8th Annual Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition
Four accounting majors from St. John Fisher College recently participated in the 8th Annual Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition. The Deloitte Foundation, the not-for-profit arm of Deloitte LLP, invited students from more than 100 leading academic institutions to compete.
On October 16 and 17, the Fisher students - Christina Schmidt, Becky Slater, Lea Spikes, and Jason VanRiper - and other students throughout the country teamed up to address real world business issues, solve complex tax challenges, and compete for more than $100,000 in scholarship and institutional awards.
"Each year we leverage the Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition to encourage and inspire the next generation of tax leaders by exposing students to scenarios that they would encounter in current business environments," said Shaun Budnik, President of the Deloitte Foundation, and Partner, Deloitte LLP. "Additionally, this event is designed to help participants enhance their ability to work in teams and grow the fundamental business skills required for professionals to thrive."
The Tax Case Study Competition features two divisions, graduate and undergraduate. At each level, teams of up to four students are given five hours to complete a case study that requires participants to analyze information, identify issues and alternative tax treatments, and develop a recommended solution that appropriately cites the Internal Revenue Code and Treasury Regulations. At the end of the competition, each team prepares a written solution to their case and submits it to a panel of judges from Deloitte Tax LLP for evaluation.
Latest College News Stories
- Nursing Faculty Participate in Cost of Poverty Experience
- Buffalo Bills Release 2015 Training Camp Schedule
- Community Service Efforts Land Fisher on President’s Honor Roll
- Justinian Order Honors President Bain during Luncheon
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference