Accounting Students Compete in 8th Annual Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition
Four accounting majors from St. John Fisher College recently participated in the 8th Annual Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition. The Deloitte Foundation, the not-for-profit arm of Deloitte LLP, invited students from more than 100 leading academic institutions to compete.
On October 16 and 17, the Fisher students - Christina Schmidt, Becky Slater, Lea Spikes, and Jason VanRiper - and other students throughout the country teamed up to address real world business issues, solve complex tax challenges, and compete for more than $100,000 in scholarship and institutional awards.
"Each year we leverage the Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition to encourage and inspire the next generation of tax leaders by exposing students to scenarios that they would encounter in current business environments," said Shaun Budnik, President of the Deloitte Foundation, and Partner, Deloitte LLP. "Additionally, this event is designed to help participants enhance their ability to work in teams and grow the fundamental business skills required for professionals to thrive."
The Tax Case Study Competition features two divisions, graduate and undergraduate. At each level, teams of up to four students are given five hours to complete a case study that requires participants to analyze information, identify issues and alternative tax treatments, and develop a recommended solution that appropriately cites the Internal Revenue Code and Treasury Regulations. At the end of the competition, each team prepares a written solution to their case and submits it to a panel of judges from Deloitte Tax LLP for evaluation.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 to be Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems