Accounting Students Compete in 8th Annual Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition
Four accounting majors from St. John Fisher College recently participated in the 8th Annual Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition. The Deloitte Foundation, the not-for-profit arm of Deloitte LLP, invited students from more than 100 leading academic institutions to compete.
On October 16 and 17, the Fisher students - Christina Schmidt, Becky Slater, Lea Spikes, and Jason VanRiper - and other students throughout the country teamed up to address real world business issues, solve complex tax challenges, and compete for more than $100,000 in scholarship and institutional awards.
"Each year we leverage the Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition to encourage and inspire the next generation of tax leaders by exposing students to scenarios that they would encounter in current business environments," said Shaun Budnik, President of the Deloitte Foundation, and Partner, Deloitte LLP. "Additionally, this event is designed to help participants enhance their ability to work in teams and grow the fundamental business skills required for professionals to thrive."
The Tax Case Study Competition features two divisions, graduate and undergraduate. At each level, teams of up to four students are given five hours to complete a case study that requires participants to analyze information, identify issues and alternative tax treatments, and develop a recommended solution that appropriately cites the Internal Revenue Code and Treasury Regulations. At the end of the competition, each team prepares a written solution to their case and submits it to a panel of judges from Deloitte Tax LLP for evaluation.
Latest College News Stories
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club
- Go Green during Fisher’s Recycling Drive and Sustainability Fair