Accounting Students Compete in 8th Annual Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition
Four accounting majors from St. John Fisher College recently participated in the 8th Annual Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition. The Deloitte Foundation, the not-for-profit arm of Deloitte LLP, invited students from more than 100 leading academic institutions to compete.
On October 16 and 17, the Fisher students - Christina Schmidt, Becky Slater, Lea Spikes, and Jason VanRiper - and other students throughout the country teamed up to address real world business issues, solve complex tax challenges, and compete for more than $100,000 in scholarship and institutional awards.
"Each year we leverage the Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition to encourage and inspire the next generation of tax leaders by exposing students to scenarios that they would encounter in current business environments," said Shaun Budnik, President of the Deloitte Foundation, and Partner, Deloitte LLP. "Additionally, this event is designed to help participants enhance their ability to work in teams and grow the fundamental business skills required for professionals to thrive."
The Tax Case Study Competition features two divisions, graduate and undergraduate. At each level, teams of up to four students are given five hours to complete a case study that requires participants to analyze information, identify issues and alternative tax treatments, and develop a recommended solution that appropriately cites the Internal Revenue Code and Treasury Regulations. At the end of the competition, each team prepares a written solution to their case and submits it to a panel of judges from Deloitte Tax LLP for evaluation.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes