Accounting Students Compete in 8th Annual Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition
Four accounting majors from St. John Fisher College recently participated in the 8th Annual Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition. The Deloitte Foundation, the not-for-profit arm of Deloitte LLP, invited students from more than 100 leading academic institutions to compete.
On October 16 and 17, the Fisher students - Christina Schmidt, Becky Slater, Lea Spikes, and Jason VanRiper - and other students throughout the country teamed up to address real world business issues, solve complex tax challenges, and compete for more than $100,000 in scholarship and institutional awards.
"Each year we leverage the Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition to encourage and inspire the next generation of tax leaders by exposing students to scenarios that they would encounter in current business environments," said Shaun Budnik, President of the Deloitte Foundation, and Partner, Deloitte LLP. "Additionally, this event is designed to help participants enhance their ability to work in teams and grow the fundamental business skills required for professionals to thrive."
The Tax Case Study Competition features two divisions, graduate and undergraduate. At each level, teams of up to four students are given five hours to complete a case study that requires participants to analyze information, identify issues and alternative tax treatments, and develop a recommended solution that appropriately cites the Internal Revenue Code and Treasury Regulations. At the end of the competition, each team prepares a written solution to their case and submits it to a panel of judges from Deloitte Tax LLP for evaluation.
- Fisher Marketing Club Wins AMA Collegiate Chapter Excellence Award
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
- Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
- MBA Graduates Recognized
- Inaugural Joining Forces Conference Attracts 170 Health Care Professionals, Veterans to Campus
- Executive Leadership Program Honors Students
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Honors Students During Hooding Ceremony
- Bain Awards President’s Medals at 59th Commencement
- President’s Awards Ceremony Recognizes 47 Graduating Seniors
- Madigan, Plata, and McGregor Honored During Commencement Weekend
- Class of 2013 Presents Class Gift
- Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
- McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
- Sodano Receives Father Dorsey Award
- School of Pharmacy Holds 2013 Student Awards