Senior Martha Black Receives National Geographic Grant
Martha Black, a senior Spanish major with a minor in anthropology, is the recipient of a National Geographic Young Explorer's Grant for her research of Mixtec Sweatbaths and Midwives in Oaxaca, Mexico.
Black will travel to Mexico next summer to conduct ethnographic interviews of the indigenous (Mixtec) midwives. Her research will be conducted in collaboration with a larger archaeological research project of a sweatbath led by Dr. Bill Duncan of Eastern Tennessee State University. Dr. Duncan is a former Professor of Anthropology at St. John Fisher College.
The group also received a grant supporting the research from the National Science Foundation.
Next semester, Black plans to participate in a service-learning program in the Dominican Republic, as she is also a Spanish for the Health Professions minor. After graduation in May, Black plans to serve in the Peace Corps, working on HIV/AIDS education and community outreach in Latin America. She will begin that service in August 2010, and will continue for 27 months.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems