Senior Martha Black Receives National Geographic Grant
Martha Black, a senior Spanish major with a minor in anthropology, is the recipient of a National Geographic Young Explorer's Grant for her research of Mixtec Sweatbaths and Midwives in Oaxaca, Mexico.
Black will travel to Mexico next summer to conduct ethnographic interviews of the indigenous (Mixtec) midwives. Her research will be conducted in collaboration with a larger archaeological research project of a sweatbath led by Dr. Bill Duncan of Eastern Tennessee State University. Dr. Duncan is a former Professor of Anthropology at St. John Fisher College.
The group also received a grant supporting the research from the National Science Foundation.
Next semester, Black plans to participate in a service-learning program in the Dominican Republic, as she is also a Spanish for the Health Professions minor. After graduation in May, Black plans to serve in the Peace Corps, working on HIV/AIDS education and community outreach in Latin America. She will begin that service in August 2010, and will continue for 27 months.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference