Senior Martha Black Receives National Geographic Grant
Martha Black, a senior Spanish major with a minor in anthropology, is the recipient of a National Geographic Young Explorer's Grant for her research of Mixtec Sweatbaths and Midwives in Oaxaca, Mexico.
Black will travel to Mexico next summer to conduct ethnographic interviews of the indigenous (Mixtec) midwives. Her research will be conducted in collaboration with a larger archaeological research project of a sweatbath led by Dr. Bill Duncan of Eastern Tennessee State University. Dr. Duncan is a former Professor of Anthropology at St. John Fisher College.
The group also received a grant supporting the research from the National Science Foundation.
Next semester, Black plans to participate in a service-learning program in the Dominican Republic, as she is also a Spanish for the Health Professions minor. After graduation in May, Black plans to serve in the Peace Corps, working on HIV/AIDS education and community outreach in Latin America. She will begin that service in August 2010, and will continue for 27 months.
Latest College News Stories
- Adjunct Faculty Recognized During Appreciation Reception
- Bain Stops in Philadelphia for Farewell Tour
- Mary Ellen Milne Awards Recognize Exceptional Student Employees
- Symposium Remembers Marshall McLuhan
- Fisher Honors Rochester Radio Icon during Room Dedication
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 61st Commencement; Rudolph Giuliani to Serve as Keynote Speaker
- Education, Chemistry Professors Publish Article for Educational Research International
- Deacon Jewell Pens Article for United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Fisher Student-Athletes Participate in the 5th Annual Giant Read
- Statistics Student Will Attend Summer Institute in Biostatistics
- Motivational Speaker Joe Erhmann Addresses Fisher Student-Athletes
- Fisher Senior Earns Fulbright to Turkey
- Workshop Connects Rochester Cultural Organizations to Grant Resources
- Fisher Lights the Steeple Blue for Child Advocacy Month
- Alumni Tour Campus with Mrs. Bain