Senior Martha Black Receives National Geographic Grant
Martha Black, a senior Spanish major with a minor in anthropology, is the recipient of a National Geographic Young Explorer's Grant for her research of Mixtec Sweatbaths and Midwives in Oaxaca, Mexico.
Black will travel to Mexico next summer to conduct ethnographic interviews of the indigenous (Mixtec) midwives. Her research will be conducted in collaboration with a larger archaeological research project of a sweatbath led by Dr. Bill Duncan of Eastern Tennessee State University. Dr. Duncan is a former Professor of Anthropology at St. John Fisher College.
The group also received a grant supporting the research from the National Science Foundation.
Next semester, Black plans to participate in a service-learning program in the Dominican Republic, as she is also a Spanish for the Health Professions minor. After graduation in May, Black plans to serve in the Peace Corps, working on HIV/AIDS education and community outreach in Latin America. She will begin that service in August 2010, and will continue for 27 months.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program