Senior Martha Black Receives National Geographic Grant
Martha Black, a senior Spanish major with a minor in anthropology, is the recipient of a National Geographic Young Explorer's Grant for her research of Mixtec Sweatbaths and Midwives in Oaxaca, Mexico.
Black will travel to Mexico next summer to conduct ethnographic interviews of the indigenous (Mixtec) midwives. Her research will be conducted in collaboration with a larger archaeological research project of a sweatbath led by Dr. Bill Duncan of Eastern Tennessee State University. Dr. Duncan is a former Professor of Anthropology at St. John Fisher College.
The group also received a grant supporting the research from the National Science Foundation.
Next semester, Black plans to participate in a service-learning program in the Dominican Republic, as she is also a Spanish for the Health Professions minor. After graduation in May, Black plans to serve in the Peace Corps, working on HIV/AIDS education and community outreach in Latin America. She will begin that service in August 2010, and will continue for 27 months.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference
- Fellowship Sends Journalism Instructor Back to the Newsroom
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative