Go Tell Michelle Wins 2009 Letitia Woods Brown Memorial Book Award
Go Tell Michelle: African-American Women Write to the New First Lady is one of the 2009 Letitia Woods Brown Memorial Book Award winners in the category of edited volume. The book features a poem written by Dr. Arlette Miller Smith, Associate Professor of English. The poem, titled "We in Anticipation of You," was chosen to be the first to appear in the compilation of works written for Michelle Obama.
The following is an excerpt from the comments given by the selection committee: "This work is significant documentation of African women's voices throughout the Diaspora. Orchestrated by two African-American women and shared with working class, professional, young and old, these voices resonate with the emotions attached to the witnessing a world power position, a visibly brown-skinned woman as the First Lady. Knowing the history and vitriol hurled throughout time, these women share the hopes, fears, dreams, and courage of ancestor voices, and speak to those yet born girls and women of the future."
For more information on Go Tell Michelle, visit the SUNY Press website.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes