Go Tell Michelle Wins 2009 Letitia Woods Brown Memorial Book Award
Go Tell Michelle: African-American Women Write to the New First Lady is one of the 2009 Letitia Woods Brown Memorial Book Award winners in the category of edited volume. The book features a poem written by Dr. Arlette Miller Smith, Associate Professor of English. The poem, titled "We in Anticipation of You," was chosen to be the first to appear in the compilation of works written for Michelle Obama.
The following is an excerpt from the comments given by the selection committee: "This work is significant documentation of African women's voices throughout the Diaspora. Orchestrated by two African-American women and shared with working class, professional, young and old, these voices resonate with the emotions attached to the witnessing a world power position, a visibly brown-skinned woman as the First Lady. Knowing the history and vitriol hurled throughout time, these women share the hopes, fears, dreams, and courage of ancestor voices, and speak to those yet born girls and women of the future."
For more information on Go Tell Michelle, visit the SUNY Press website.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- What to Expect at Orientation 2016
- Advice Straight from the Orientation Team
- New Greater Amsterdam School District Superintendent an Ed.D. Grad
- Bills Selected to Attend Workshop on Medicinal Chemistry
- Fisher Launches New TV Campaign
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Full Accreditation
- Comedian, Former Presidential Speech Writer Headline Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Pharmacy Students Earn 100 Percent Pass Rate on New York State Licensing Exam