Go Tell Michelle Wins 2009 Letitia Woods Brown Memorial Book Award
Go Tell Michelle: African-American Women Write to the New First Lady is one of the 2009 Letitia Woods Brown Memorial Book Award winners in the category of edited volume. The book features a poem written by Dr. Arlette Miller Smith, Associate Professor of English. The poem, titled "We in Anticipation of You," was chosen to be the first to appear in the compilation of works written for Michelle Obama.
The following is an excerpt from the comments given by the selection committee: "This work is significant documentation of African women's voices throughout the Diaspora. Orchestrated by two African-American women and shared with working class, professional, young and old, these voices resonate with the emotions attached to the witnessing a world power position, a visibly brown-skinned woman as the First Lady. Knowing the history and vitriol hurled throughout time, these women share the hopes, fears, dreams, and courage of ancestor voices, and speak to those yet born girls and women of the future."
For more information on Go Tell Michelle, visit the SUNY Press website.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Crews Install Cross on Kearney Hall Spire
- Buffalo Bills Announce Ticket Distribution Information for 2016 Training Camp
- Bob Ward to be Inducted into Red Wings Walk of Fame
- St. John Fisher College a “Great College to Work For”
- Fisher Breaks Ground on New Chapel
- Lavery Library Photos on Display at Museum of African American History
- Mental Health Counseling Program Earns Recognition from Trade Website
- Fisher to Break Ground on New Chapel