Go Tell Michelle Wins 2009 Letitia Woods Brown Memorial Book Award
Go Tell Michelle: African-American Women Write to the New First Lady is one of the 2009 Letitia Woods Brown Memorial Book Award winners in the category of edited volume. The book features a poem written by Dr. Arlette Miller Smith, Associate Professor of English. The poem, titled "We in Anticipation of You," was chosen to be the first to appear in the compilation of works written for Michelle Obama.
The following is an excerpt from the comments given by the selection committee: "This work is significant documentation of African women's voices throughout the Diaspora. Orchestrated by two African-American women and shared with working class, professional, young and old, these voices resonate with the emotions attached to the witnessing a world power position, a visibly brown-skinned woman as the First Lady. Knowing the history and vitriol hurled throughout time, these women share the hopes, fears, dreams, and courage of ancestor voices, and speak to those yet born girls and women of the future."
For more information on Go Tell Michelle, visit the SUNY Press website.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- President Rooney Given Top Award by Local Public Relations Association
- Human Resources Student Organization Earns Recognition from National Chapter
- O’Keefe Ross Gallery Exhibit Showcases Rochester Art Club Member Work
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Rev. Patrick O’Conner Braden, C.S.B., Third President of the College
- Parades, Festivals Mark Fun for Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Pilot Program Leads to Successful Residency Matches
- For Volunteers, JASY Camp an Unforgettable Experience
- Summer Construction Projects Mean Campus Enhancements, Upgrades