Dr. Singh Presents at Caste and Contemporary India Conference
Dr. Roja Singh, who teaches in the Women and Gender Studies Program, presented her paper, "Critical-Constructive Narratives by Bama (Dalit Woman Writer): Interweaving Liberation of 'Visible' Bodies and Silenced 'Voices' as TEXTure for Dalit Women's Freedom," at Columbia University on October 16.
The conference, Caste and Contemporary India, was organized by the South Asia Institute at Columbia and featured established academicians and political analysts from all over the world.
Dr. Singh's paper was a theoretical analysis of the sexual vulnerability of young Dalit girls and the ways in which caste, patriarchy, and class get re-invoked repeatedly on these young unprotected bodies.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins Today
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference
- School of Ed Alum Receives Transformational Leader Award from Nursing Organization