St. John Fisher College Partners With West Irondequoit and Webster Schools to Develop Post-Secondary Program
St. John Fisher College, West Irondequoit Schools, and Webster Schools are partnering to develop a new post-secondary program. The foundation of the partnership is a shared mission of preparing students for lifelong learning and to become productive community members.
The central goal of the program, which takes the form of a satellite high school classroom on the Fisher campus, is for students to develop greater independence, as well as vocational and educational skills. Instruction is designed for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities, have completed four years of high school, and are ready for new challenges and experiences before graduating and entering adult life.
While the program is based on campus, the students are not admitted to the College. Instead, campus resources and activities create an anchor for pragmatic learning experiences. The students look forward to a productive experience here at Fisher, which will include volunteer work experience, use of campus resources, social events, as well as guest speaking about self-advocacy in college courses.
A warm welcome goes out to the five students, as well as their teachers, Craig Jones and Debra Botsford.
Whitney Rapp, Associate Professor of Education, is serving as the liaison between St. John Fisher College and the participating schools. For more information, contact her at (585) 899-3718, or email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- April First Friday Lecture Explores Italian American Identity
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Fisher Students Earn Accolades at Annual Marketing Conference
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Recognizes Doctoral Graduates at Fisher Extension Site
- Fisher Student’s Passion for Airplanes Takes to New Heights
- Grant from Canandaigua National Bank & Trust Funds School of Business Scholarship
- College to Host First-Ever American Studies Undergraduate Research Conference
- Countdown to Commencement: Aidan Evans
- Preventing Youth Violence in Rochester Focus of Annual Trovato Lecture
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- Service-Learning Project Exposes PR Students to City Life
- Countdown to Commencement: Adrienne Aldridge-Kiner
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Kocher Wins Community Service Award
- Comedy Improv Competition Raises Funds for Gilda’s Club