St. John Fisher College Partners With West Irondequoit and Webster Schools to Develop Post-Secondary Program
St. John Fisher College, West Irondequoit Schools, and Webster Schools are partnering to develop a new post-secondary program. The foundation of the partnership is a shared mission of preparing students for lifelong learning and to become productive community members.
The central goal of the program, which takes the form of a satellite high school classroom on the Fisher campus, is for students to develop greater independence, as well as vocational and educational skills. Instruction is designed for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities, have completed four years of high school, and are ready for new challenges and experiences before graduating and entering adult life.
While the program is based on campus, the students are not admitted to the College. Instead, campus resources and activities create an anchor for pragmatic learning experiences. The students look forward to a productive experience here at Fisher, which will include volunteer work experience, use of campus resources, social events, as well as guest speaking about self-advocacy in college courses.
A warm welcome goes out to the five students, as well as their teachers, Craig Jones and Debra Botsford.
Whitney Rapp, Associate Professor of Education, is serving as the liaison between St. John Fisher College and the participating schools. For more information, contact her at (585) 899-3718, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- College Presents Accounting Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award
- Fall Exhibit Now on Display in Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Lordy, Lordy, Looks Who’s 40!
- Student Athlete Mentors Spread Awareness of Sexual Assault Prevention
- Loss Lecture Series Scheduled for October 15
- Hundreds Expected on Campus for 2014 Alumni Weekend
- The Éire on the Erie Conference Scheduled for October 17
- Music to Fisher’s Ears: Meet the SJFC Pep Band
- Follow @FisherParking for Updates on Campus Parking Availability
- Mental Health Counseling Program Recognizes First Group of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselors
- Gantner Organizing Workshop for Mathematical Association of America Fall Meeting
- Faculty Appear at Fringe Festival
- College Purchases Park and Ride Lot from New York State
- Fisher Wins 10th Straight Courage Bowl
- Honorary Courage Bowl Coaches, Cheerleaders Announced