St. John Fisher College Partners With West Irondequoit and Webster Schools to Develop Post-Secondary Program
St. John Fisher College, West Irondequoit Schools, and Webster Schools are partnering to develop a new post-secondary program. The foundation of the partnership is a shared mission of preparing students for lifelong learning and to become productive community members.
The central goal of the program, which takes the form of a satellite high school classroom on the Fisher campus, is for students to develop greater independence, as well as vocational and educational skills. Instruction is designed for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities, have completed four years of high school, and are ready for new challenges and experiences before graduating and entering adult life.
While the program is based on campus, the students are not admitted to the College. Instead, campus resources and activities create an anchor for pragmatic learning experiences. The students look forward to a productive experience here at Fisher, which will include volunteer work experience, use of campus resources, social events, as well as guest speaking about self-advocacy in college courses.
A warm welcome goes out to the five students, as well as their teachers, Craig Jones and Debra Botsford.
Whitney Rapp, Associate Professor of Education, is serving as the liaison between St. John Fisher College and the participating schools. For more information, contact her at (585) 899-3718, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest College News Stories
- Charles McVay Inducted into National Math Honor Society
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Recognition Ceremony Celebrates School of Nursing Grads
- Dr. Katrina Arndt Receives Trustees’ Distinguished Scholar Award
- Hooding and Awards Ceremony Celebrates Ed.D. Candidates
- Bain Presents Two with President’s Medals
- Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement, Campus Leadership at President’s Awards Ceremony
- Banquet Honors Senior Student-Athletes
- Nearly 1,200 Graduate during Fisher’s 61st Commencement
- National Biology Honor Society Inducts 29
- Entrepreneurship in the Classroom Focus of Education Conference
- Fisher Researcher Awarded Patent for New Technology
- Classroom Dedication Celebrates a True Fisher Family
- Education Celebration Honors Students, Alumni, Community Partners
- Three at Fisher Named Outstanding Adult Students