St. John Fisher College Partners With West Irondequoit and Webster Schools to Develop Post-Secondary Program
St. John Fisher College, West Irondequoit Schools, and Webster Schools are partnering to develop a new post-secondary program. The foundation of the partnership is a shared mission of preparing students for lifelong learning and to become productive community members.
The central goal of the program, which takes the form of a satellite high school classroom on the Fisher campus, is for students to develop greater independence, as well as vocational and educational skills. Instruction is designed for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities, have completed four years of high school, and are ready for new challenges and experiences before graduating and entering adult life.
While the program is based on campus, the students are not admitted to the College. Instead, campus resources and activities create an anchor for pragmatic learning experiences. The students look forward to a productive experience here at Fisher, which will include volunteer work experience, use of campus resources, social events, as well as guest speaking about self-advocacy in college courses.
A warm welcome goes out to the five students, as well as their teachers, Craig Jones and Debra Botsford.
Whitney Rapp, Associate Professor of Education, is serving as the liaison between St. John Fisher College and the participating schools. For more information, contact her at (585) 899-3718, or email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company
- 33rd Annual Teddi Dance Reveals Packed 24-Hour Schedule
- Health & Wellness Center to Recognize National Eating Disorders Awareness Week