St. John Fisher College Partners With West Irondequoit and Webster Schools to Develop Post-Secondary Program
St. John Fisher College, West Irondequoit Schools, and Webster Schools are partnering to develop a new post-secondary program. The foundation of the partnership is a shared mission of preparing students for lifelong learning and to become productive community members.
The central goal of the program, which takes the form of a satellite high school classroom on the Fisher campus, is for students to develop greater independence, as well as vocational and educational skills. Instruction is designed for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities, have completed four years of high school, and are ready for new challenges and experiences before graduating and entering adult life.
While the program is based on campus, the students are not admitted to the College. Instead, campus resources and activities create an anchor for pragmatic learning experiences. The students look forward to a productive experience here at Fisher, which will include volunteer work experience, use of campus resources, social events, as well as guest speaking about self-advocacy in college courses.
A warm welcome goes out to the five students, as well as their teachers, Craig Jones and Debra Botsford.
Whitney Rapp, Associate Professor of Education, is serving as the liaison between St. John Fisher College and the participating schools. For more information, contact her at (585) 899-3718, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out photos from the Inauguration of Gerard Rooney on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Fisher’s Budding PR Students Learn from the Pros during National Conference
- Campus Conversations Report on State of the College
- Students Learn Dialogue Skills during Semester-long Workshop
- Business Student Hones Leadership Skills at Global Summit
- Niche.com Ranking Places Fisher among Top 30 Best Colleges in New York
- Fisher Teams Take First, Second in Regional Tax Competition
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Sacks Publishes Textbook on Financial Derivatives
- Rapp Delivers Keynote Address at Teaching and Technology Symposium
- School of Education Faculty Present at International Conference
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes