Acclaimed Documentary Pray the Devil Back to Hell to be Screened at Fisher on October 22
The award-winning documentary Pray the Devil Back to Hell will be shown on October 22 at St. John Fisher College. The 72-minute film will be followed by a panel discussion featuring three members of the Fisher faculty: Visiting Assistant Professor of Sociology and African American Studies Ruth Harris; Assistant Professor of Modern Languages and Cultures Marc Papé; and Assistant Professor of Political Science Zachary Shirkey. The event is sponsored by the Religious Studies Department at St. John Fisher College. It begins at 7 p.m. in Basil 135, and is free and open to the public.
In Pray the Devil Back to Hell, Liberian women determined to bring dignity and peace back to their country stand up to Charles Taylor and the warlords, armed only with white t-shirts and courage. Their story has inspired legions of fans during the film's nationwide theatrical run, multiple festival awards, and international screenings.
Pray the Devil Back to Hell's appearance in Rochester continues its mission to bring a discussion about grassroots peace efforts to places big and small. The film opened last year to rave reviews in more than 80 cities and film festivals around the world, and has also been part of events for war survivors and policymakers in conflict zones around the world. In May 2009, the women featured in Pray the Devil Back to Hell were awarded the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage award for their efforts.
"People who see this film are alternately surprised, startled, amazed and inspired. They immediately want to tell a friend, talk about the ideas in the film, and do something to contribute to peace," says Abigail Disney, producer of Pray the Devil Back to Hell. "Pray is a case study on how people can band together to take charge of their destiny. What better way to celebrate the UN's international Day of Peace?"
Pray the Devil Back to Hell is directed by Academy Award-nominated, Emmy-winning documentary filmmaker Gini Reticker and produced by Abigail Disney, who is also the Co-Founder and Co-President of the Daphne Foundation. For more information on the film, visit www.praythedevilbacktohell.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Swigart Posthumously Honored at Rochester Pharmacy Gala
- 2015 Lobene Lecture to Feature Best-Selling Author Dr. Sherry Turkle March 23
- President and Mrs. Bain Inducted into Camp Good Days’ Ring of Honor
- Madigan Receives Summer Fellowship in Ireland
- School of Arts and Sciences to Host Free Screening of “Shadows of the Lynching Tree”
- College to Host Storytelling Festival
- #MeetTheMedia with #FisherComm Thursday
- St. John Fisher College Top Ranked NYS Institution in 2014 CPA Exam Results
- Renfro Called Upon for Bush Family Expertise
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- Students "Tapped" to Join Beta Gamma Sigma
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Countdown to Commencement: Cole Lachance-Tofany
- Teddi Dance for Love Surpasses $1 Million Mark
- Miss Norma, Lackmann Honored by Parent Company