Madigan Authors Sports: Why People Love Them!
University Press of America has published Sports: Why People Love Them! by Dr. Tim Madigan, Assistant Professor of Philosophy at St. John Fisher College, and Tim Delaney, Associate Professor of Sociology at SUNY Oswego.
The book examines the reasons why billions of people, from all over the world, love sports. The media is increasingly dedicated to the heated rivalries of sports teams, academic institutions are held in sports' thrall, sports metaphors are commonplace in our language, and most individuals participate in athletics or follow a team sport in some variation. The authors provide an overview of the history of sports, with a constant focus upon the social conditions through which sport arises and by which it continues to thrive.
Latest College News Stories
- Donahue Presents at Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference
- Kunsch Elected New MBA Program Director
- Fisher Community Makes Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Rice Recognized for Lecture
- Souza Presents Workshop at International Conference in Italy
- Investment Club Visits Paychex
- Lecture Being Held by Author Chris Lowney
- McKinzie Presents at Mathematical Association Fall Meeting
- Birnie Presents in Bangkok, Thailand
- SWAV Trip Kanatsiohareke Mohawk Community Includes Service, Culture
- College Recognizes 67 Employees for Years of Service
- Family Weekend 2014 Kicks Off on Halloween
- Hetzler Honored Through Film, Exhibit
- Women’s Soccer Team Raises $1,500 for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- MacGregor Presents at Statewide Conference