Madigan Authors Sports: Why People Love Them!
University Press of America has published Sports: Why People Love Them! by Dr. Tim Madigan, Assistant Professor of Philosophy at St. John Fisher College, and Tim Delaney, Associate Professor of Sociology at SUNY Oswego.
The book examines the reasons why billions of people, from all over the world, love sports. The media is increasingly dedicated to the heated rivalries of sports teams, academic institutions are held in sports' thrall, sports metaphors are commonplace in our language, and most individuals participate in athletics or follow a team sport in some variation. The authors provide an overview of the history of sports, with a constant focus upon the social conditions through which sport arises and by which it continues to thrive.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Beyond the Shore: Fisher Alumnus Breaks U.S. Transatlantic Rowing Record
- Health Fair Delivers Medical Care to Refugees in Rochester
- Fisher Hosts National Computers and Writing Conference
- Rice’s Book Earns Philippine Book Award Nomination
- Executive Leadership Alum Named Superintendent of Greene County School District
- Ed.D. Candidate Appointed Dean of Admissions at Morrisville State College
- Community Literacy Center Receives Grant Support
- Fisher Alum Appointed Dean of UB School of Dental Medicine