Madigan Authors Sports: Why People Love Them!
University Press of America has published Sports: Why People Love Them! by Dr. Tim Madigan, Assistant Professor of Philosophy at St. John Fisher College, and Tim Delaney, Associate Professor of Sociology at SUNY Oswego.
The book examines the reasons why billions of people, from all over the world, love sports. The media is increasingly dedicated to the heated rivalries of sports teams, academic institutions are held in sports' thrall, sports metaphors are commonplace in our language, and most individuals participate in athletics or follow a team sport in some variation. The authors provide an overview of the history of sports, with a constant focus upon the social conditions through which sport arises and by which it continues to thrive.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- President Rooney Given Top Award by Local Public Relations Association
- Human Resources Student Organization Earns Recognition from National Chapter
- O’Keefe Ross Gallery Exhibit Showcases Rochester Art Club Member Work
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Rev. Patrick O’Conner Braden, C.S.B., Third President of the College
- Parades, Festivals Mark Fun for Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Pilot Program Leads to Successful Residency Matches
- For Volunteers, JASY Camp an Unforgettable Experience
- Summer Construction Projects Mean Campus Enhancements, Upgrades