Madigan Authors Sports: Why People Love Them!
University Press of America has published Sports: Why People Love Them! by Dr. Tim Madigan, Assistant Professor of Philosophy at St. John Fisher College, and Tim Delaney, Associate Professor of Sociology at SUNY Oswego.
The book examines the reasons why billions of people, from all over the world, love sports. The media is increasingly dedicated to the heated rivalries of sports teams, academic institutions are held in sports' thrall, sports metaphors are commonplace in our language, and most individuals participate in athletics or follow a team sport in some variation. The authors provide an overview of the history of sports, with a constant focus upon the social conditions through which sport arises and by which it continues to thrive.
Latest College News Stories
- Martínez-Hernández, Rovira-Figueroa, and Eaton presented at STANYS Conference
- Alumna Releases Romance Novel
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee Host Olympics for Wilson Foundation Academy
- Alumna Named President of Roberts Communications
- Alumna Shares Journey with Cushing’s Disease with Nursing Students
- Rhone Attends BGS Student Leadership Fall Forum
- Staff Recognition Program Seeking Nominations
- St. John Fisher College’s 12th Justinian Medal Presented to Michael R. Law, Esq. ’69
- Students Receive Dante Scholarship from Italian Women’s Civic Club
- Madigan to Serve as Guest Lecturer for December First Friday Lecture
- Investment Club Travels to New York City
- Student Athletes “Scare Away Brain Cancer” in Honor of Teammate
- Veterans Affairs Club, President Bain Host Veterans Day Celebration
- St. John Fisher College to Celebrate 12th Annual Philosophy Day
- St. John Fisher College and Herkimer College Announce 2+2 Partnership Agreement