St. John Fisher College Presents Friday Faculty Lecture Series
PITTSFORD, N.Y., November 30, 2005-For the second consecutive year, St. John Fisher College is presenting its Friday Faculty Lecture Series to College alumni and residents of the Rochester community. The free lectures are designed for individuals who are interested in hearing perspectives on a variety of current topics from members of the St. John Fisher College faculty, encouraging a commitment to lifelong learning.
The lectures take place on the first Friday of each month. In the spring semester, they will take place from February through April.
December's lecture will take place on Friday, December 2, 2005, in Basil Hall, Room 135, on the St. John Fisher College campus. The lecture begins at 10:00 a.m. Preceding the lecture, there is an optional Mass at 9:00 a.m., with a continental breakfast, in the midlevel of the Golisano Gateway.
This month's lecture will be delivered by Dr. Timothy Madigan, Professor in St. John Fisher College's Philosophy and Classical Studies Department. The topic of his lecture is "A Quest for Perfection: The Continuing Relevance of Sir Thomas More's Utopia."
In his lecture, Professor Madigan will describe the world of the Utopians, a perfect society existing somewhere in the newly discovered Americas. He will pose the question of why a devout Catholic like More would seem to extol the virtues of a place where divorce, assassination, and euthanasia were practiced.
Thomas More, Chancellor of England, Humanist, and friend to John Fisher (both of whom were executed by King Henry VIII for refusing to accept the Act of Supremacy, which made the sovereign the supreme head on earth of the Church of England), wrote Utopia in 1516. Almost 500 years later, it remains his best-known and most discussed work.
Earlier this year, Professor Madigan took part in a two-month long discussion of More's Utopia at St. Paul's Episcopal Church's "Christian Pathways" group, under the auspices of Fisher professor and colleague, Dr. David White.
For more information about the lecture series or to register, please contact Shannon Hansford at 585-385-7322 or email@example.com.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- President Rooney Given Top Award by Local Public Relations Association
- Human Resources Student Organization Earns Recognition from National Chapter
- O’Keefe Ross Gallery Exhibit Showcases Rochester Art Club Member Work
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Rev. Patrick O’Conner Braden, C.S.B., Third President of the College
- Parades, Festivals Mark Fun for Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Pilot Program Leads to Successful Residency Matches
- For Volunteers, JASY Camp an Unforgettable Experience
- Summer Construction Projects Mean Campus Enhancements, Upgrades