St. John Fisher College Presents Friday Faculty Lecture Series
PITTSFORD, N.Y., November 30, 2005-For the second consecutive year, St. John Fisher College is presenting its Friday Faculty Lecture Series to College alumni and residents of the Rochester community. The free lectures are designed for individuals who are interested in hearing perspectives on a variety of current topics from members of the St. John Fisher College faculty, encouraging a commitment to lifelong learning.
The lectures take place on the first Friday of each month. In the spring semester, they will take place from February through April.
December's lecture will take place on Friday, December 2, 2005, in Basil Hall, Room 135, on the St. John Fisher College campus. The lecture begins at 10:00 a.m. Preceding the lecture, there is an optional Mass at 9:00 a.m., with a continental breakfast, in the midlevel of the Golisano Gateway.
This month's lecture will be delivered by Dr. Timothy Madigan, Professor in St. John Fisher College's Philosophy and Classical Studies Department. The topic of his lecture is "A Quest for Perfection: The Continuing Relevance of Sir Thomas More's Utopia."
In his lecture, Professor Madigan will describe the world of the Utopians, a perfect society existing somewhere in the newly discovered Americas. He will pose the question of why a devout Catholic like More would seem to extol the virtues of a place where divorce, assassination, and euthanasia were practiced.
Thomas More, Chancellor of England, Humanist, and friend to John Fisher (both of whom were executed by King Henry VIII for refusing to accept the Act of Supremacy, which made the sovereign the supreme head on earth of the Church of England), wrote Utopia in 1516. Almost 500 years later, it remains his best-known and most discussed work.
Earlier this year, Professor Madigan took part in a two-month long discussion of More's Utopia at St. Paul's Episcopal Church's "Christian Pathways" group, under the auspices of Fisher professor and colleague, Dr. David White.
For more information about the lecture series or to register, please contact Shannon Hansford at 585-385-7322 or email@example.com.
Latest College News Stories
- Cooking Up a Sustainable First Friday Lecture October 3
- Nicolay Publishes Monograph
- Cleaner and Greener – College Introduces New Trash and Recycling Centers Campuswide
- Trustee Ronald Hermance, Jr. ’69 Passes Away
- College Welcomes New Faculty for 2014-15 Academic Year
- Get Involved at Involvement Fest Next Tuesday
- Exchanging Courses and Lives
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges 2015
- Wegmans School of Nursing Introduces Dedicated Education Unit Clinical Site to Students
- Courage Bowl X Slated for September 20, Fisher to Face Brockport
- Pittsford High School AP Chemistry Students work with Fisher Faculty on Project, Presentation
- Chemistry Faculty Members Present at Biennial Conference on Chemical Education
- Sashittal Publishes Book, Article
- Welcome Class of 2018!
- First-Year Pharmacy Students Include Service in Orientation