St. John Fisher College Presents Friday Faculty Lecture Series
PITTSFORD, N.Y., November 30, 2005-For the second consecutive year, St. John Fisher College is presenting its Friday Faculty Lecture Series to College alumni and residents of the Rochester community. The free lectures are designed for individuals who are interested in hearing perspectives on a variety of current topics from members of the St. John Fisher College faculty, encouraging a commitment to lifelong learning.
The lectures take place on the first Friday of each month. In the spring semester, they will take place from February through April.
December's lecture will take place on Friday, December 2, 2005, in Basil Hall, Room 135, on the St. John Fisher College campus. The lecture begins at 10:00 a.m. Preceding the lecture, there is an optional Mass at 9:00 a.m., with a continental breakfast, in the midlevel of the Golisano Gateway.
This month's lecture will be delivered by Dr. Timothy Madigan, Professor in St. John Fisher College's Philosophy and Classical Studies Department. The topic of his lecture is "A Quest for Perfection: The Continuing Relevance of Sir Thomas More's Utopia."
In his lecture, Professor Madigan will describe the world of the Utopians, a perfect society existing somewhere in the newly discovered Americas. He will pose the question of why a devout Catholic like More would seem to extol the virtues of a place where divorce, assassination, and euthanasia were practiced.
Thomas More, Chancellor of England, Humanist, and friend to John Fisher (both of whom were executed by King Henry VIII for refusing to accept the Act of Supremacy, which made the sovereign the supreme head on earth of the Church of England), wrote Utopia in 1516. Almost 500 years later, it remains his best-known and most discussed work.
Earlier this year, Professor Madigan took part in a two-month long discussion of More's Utopia at St. Paul's Episcopal Church's "Christian Pathways" group, under the auspices of Fisher professor and colleague, Dr. David White.
For more information about the lecture series or to register, please contact Shannon Hansford at 585-385-7322 or email@example.com.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference