Final First Friday Lecture to Focus on Obamacare
On Friday, April 5, Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean of the Wegmans School of Nursing, and Dr. Scott Swigart, Dean of the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, will be the featured speakers for the final First Friday Lecture of the semester. Their presentation is entitled, “Transforming Health Care Education in Response to the Affordable Health Care Act.” The lecture will take place in Basil Hall, Room 135, at 10:00 a.m., and will include a 9:00 a.m. mass in the Golisano Gateway Midlevel, followed by a breakfast.
In 2014, the Affordable Health Care Act will bring much change to health care as we know it. In anticipation of the change, the Wegmans School of Nursing is reworking the curriculum at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The Wegmans School of Pharmacy sees opportunities for the industry, and is also changing the way in which students are educated in order to meet the new demands. The Deans’ Roundtable lecture will provide an overview of the Affordable Health Care Act and other related initiatives, including the Institute of Medicine’s Future of Nursing Report, the Quality and Safety Education in Nursing Report, and the College’s Prime Care Nursing Center at St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Center. Attendees will also hear more about what St. John Fisher College is doing to prepare the health care professionals of the future.
In addition to her role as dean, Cooney Miner teaches in the undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral programs at Fisher. Her professional career includes practice in acute and critical care, nursing education, and administration. She is the past president of the New York State Council of Deans of Baccalaureate and Higher Degree Programs, and currently serves as a site evaluator for the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. In addition, she is an extended member of the New York State Board for Nursing, founding member of the New York State Nursing Workforce Institute and the New York State Committee to Advance Nursing Education (CANE), and a member of the Health Care Association of New York (HANYS) Nursing Coalition. She is a 2012 Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing.
Swigart’s academic pharmacy experience spans over 30 years, including more than 20 years as a chair and dean in several institutions, including Palm Beach Atlantic University, Palm Beach, FL; Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy, Ft. Lauderdale, FL; and Ferris State University College of Pharmacy, Big Rapids, MI. In addition, he has conducted research, received grant funding, published, and has served on and/or chaired many school and college-wide committees. He has the experience and qualifications for understanding the profession of pharmacy, and the needs of academic pharmacy including teaching, practice, and scholarship.
The First Friday Lecture Series is designed for individuals who are interested in hearing learned perspectives on a variety of topics from members of the St. John Fisher College community.
Parking is available in Lot A off of the main entrance to the College at East Avenue/Fairport Road. For more information about the lecture series or to register for the lecture, please call (585) 385-5292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Forbes.com Ranks Fisher among “America’s Top Colleges”
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- Fisher Alumna Pens RomCom Novel
- Retired Political Science Professor Publishes First Novel
- Chemistry Graduate Wins TA Scholar Award from LSU
- Bank of America Awards $5,000 Grant to Fisher’s College Club Program
- Political Science and Statistics Faculty Wins Fellowship
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- St. John Fisher College Mourns the Loss of Reverend Joseph Lanzalaco, C.S.B.
- Middle Schoolers Stop By Fisher for Digital Download
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Join the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Programs for Summer Fun in Rochester
- Buffalo Bills Announce 2015 Training Camp Ticketed Practice Information
- Sarachan is "Five Minutes of Fame" Presenter at New Media Consortium Conference