Fisher to Host Northeast Popular Culture Association Annual Conference October 26 and 27
St. John Fisher College will host the annual Northeast Popular Culture Association (NEPCA) Conference on Friday, October 26, and Saturday, October 27, and several faculty members will be part of the program. All of the sessions are free and open to the campus community.
Dr. Tim Madigan, Associate Professor of Philosophy and Director of the Irish Studies Program, is a NEPCA board member.
The 2012 conference keynote speaker is Scott Eberle, Vice President for Play Studies at The Strong National Museum of Play and Editor of the American Journal of Play. Eberle holds a doctorate in Cultural History from the University at Buffalo, and has developed dozens of exhibits for the museum. In addition, he has lectured extensively on historical interpretation, and contributed articles to American Journal of Play, Journal of Museum Education, Death Studies, and History News. He is author, co-author, or co-editor of four books, including “Classic Toys of the National Toy Hall of Fame: A Celebration of the Greatest Toys of All Time.” Currently, he is co-editing “Handbook of the Study of Play,” slated for publication in 2014. Eberle is also a blogger, and regularly contributes to “Play Stuff” for the museum and “Play in Mind,” for Psychology Today.
Faculty sessions on Friday, October 26, include:
“Comics and Graphic Novels” – 3:30-5:00 p.m./Basil 119
Dr. Charles Natoli, Professor and Chair of Philosophy, will present, “Little Orphan Annie and Conservative Politics.” Faculty from SUNY Fredonia and St. Bonaventure University will also present during this session.
“Philosophy I: Ethics and Popular Culture” – 3:30-5:00 p.m./Basil 209
Drs. Tim Madigan and Linda MacCammon, Associate Professor of Religious Studies, will present “’And Goodbye to You Too, Old Rights of Man’: Ethical Dilemmas and Billy Budd.” Medaille College and SUNY Oswego faculty will present along with Madigan and MacCammon in this session.
“Visual Culture and Digital Media” – 3:30-5:00 p.m./Basil 211
Tom Proietti, Resident Scholar in Media, will moderate the “The Social Revolution: The Future of Media” panel. Panelists include: Amanda DeVito, Director of Strategy and Innovation at Butler/Till Media Services; Ray Martino, Partner, Martino Flynn; Julie Goonan, Director of Marketing, Excellus Blue Cross/Blue Shield; and Steve Dawe, Director of Information, Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES.
Faculty sessions on Saturday, October 27, include:
“History and Uses of the Past” – 1:15-3:45 p.m./Kearney 317
Dr. Dougie Bicket, Associate Professor of Communication/Journalism, will present, “Staying Above the Fray: The Strange Case of the National Park Service in an Era of Hyper-partnership.” Faculty from New York University, West Virginia University, and as far away as the University of Hamburg, Germany will present during this session as well.
“Philosophy II: Philosophy and the Zeitgeist” – 1:15-3:45 p.m./Kearney 325
Dr. David White, Associate Professor of Philosophy, presents, “Philosophy: Popular, Professional, and Curative.” He will present alongside faculty from Monroe Community College and Buffalo State College.
“Television” – 3:00-4:30 p.m./Kearney 323
Communication/Journalism Professor Todd Sodano will present, “Say It Again: Aaron Sorkin and Dialogue Repetition on The West Wing.” Faculty from La Salle University, East Stroudsburg University, and Wentworth Institute of Technology will present in this session as well.
NEPCA is a regional affiliate of the national Popular Culture/American Culture Association, and is an association of scholars in New England and New York. The purpose of the association is to encourage and assist research, publication, and teaching on popular culture and culture studies topics by scholars in the northeast region of the United States.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Joins on to Sponsor Race for the Space Entrepreneurship Competition
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Ed.D. Candidate Presents at D.C. Educator Conference
- iHeartMedia Names Fisher Alum L.A. Market President
- Two Fisher Students Participate in LeaderShape Institute
- President Rooney Shares the Vision of Fisher’s Founders with Rochester Rotary
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Rodzina” Exhibit
- Find Food, Friends, Football, and Fun at Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Fisher Welcomes the Cleveland Browns to Campus for Practice with the Buffalo Bills
- Fisher Alumna Attends White House Commemoration of Americans with Disabilities Act
- Madigan Delivers Paper at International Conference on MacIntyrean Enquiry
- Business Horizons, Harvard Business Review Pick Up Business Professor's Papers
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program