St. John Fisher College Receives $300,000 Grant for Nursing Education Equipment
St. John Fisher College has received a $300,000 grant from the Fred L. Emerson Foundation of Auburn, NY, to outfit the Wegmans School of Nursing’s new Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and Obstetrics (OB) simulation rooms, currently under construction in the School of Nursing’s new annex, slated to open this fall.
The grant will be used to purchase specialized medical equipment and furniture that will replicate ICU and birthing room settings.
“This generous gift from the Emerson Foundation will allow us to expand opportunities for clinical simulation in our new nursing addition. These expanded opportunities are an integral part of nursing education today, assisting students to build confidence and competence, and challenging them to think in complex and complicated ways. The grant will help place our students at the forefront of nursing education and entry-level clinical competence, and position them as new leaders in professional practice,” said Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean, Wegmans School of Nursing.
The simulation experience complements the nursing students’ clinical rotations, thus reinforcing the experiential learning component of the nursing curriculum. Approximately 90% of Fisher nursing students work and reside in Rochester upon graduation.
The new two-story, 10,400 square-foot addition to the existing 42,000 square-foot Wegmans School of Nursing building will also include classrooms, laboratories, and faculty offices to accommodate the growth in the program.
Latest College News Stories
- St. John Fisher College Named a 2015 Best Value College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Fisher Announces 2+2 Partnership Agreement with Hudson Valley Community College
- Teddi Committee Announces Teddi 33 Schedule
- 2014 Day of Celebration Honors Haitian Culture
- Cunningham Studying King Penguins in Sub-antarctic through February
- CNR Ed.D. Extension Site Holds Reunion Event
- Brown Honored with Clinical Achievement Award
- Fisher Honored for Community Service
- Wegmans School of Nursing Represented at Simulation User Network Conference
- Fisher Team Wins 2014 NYU Diamond Dollar Baseball Analytic Case Competition
- Freligh Wins Poetry Award
- Students, Faculty Receive Mini Grants and Civic Engagement Grants for Community Engagement Work
- Fisher Selected as a Top School in Military Advanced Education’s 2015 Guide to Colleges & Universities
- School of Education Hosts Pal-Mac Students on Campus
- Fenti Repeats as Empire 8 Offensive Player of the Year