St. John Fisher College Receives $300,000 Grant for Nursing Education Equipment
St. John Fisher College has received a $300,000 grant from the Fred L. Emerson Foundation of Auburn, NY, to outfit the Wegmans School of Nursing’s new Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and Obstetrics (OB) simulation rooms, currently under construction in the School of Nursing’s new annex, slated to open this fall.
The grant will be used to purchase specialized medical equipment and furniture that will replicate ICU and birthing room settings.
“This generous gift from the Emerson Foundation will allow us to expand opportunities for clinical simulation in our new nursing addition. These expanded opportunities are an integral part of nursing education today, assisting students to build confidence and competence, and challenging them to think in complex and complicated ways. The grant will help place our students at the forefront of nursing education and entry-level clinical competence, and position them as new leaders in professional practice,” said Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean, Wegmans School of Nursing.
The simulation experience complements the nursing students’ clinical rotations, thus reinforcing the experiential learning component of the nursing curriculum. Approximately 90% of Fisher nursing students work and reside in Rochester upon graduation.
The new two-story, 10,400 square-foot addition to the existing 42,000 square-foot Wegmans School of Nursing building will also include classrooms, laboratories, and faculty offices to accommodate the growth in the program.
Check out photos from Teddi 34 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Fisher Professor’s Study Says Brands on Snapchat Need to be Relatable, Feel-Good
- The Buffalo Girl: How the heart of a Fisher graduate shaped the heart of “Four Falls of Buffalo”
- Pharmacy Professor Fosters Research Partnership with Indian University
- Women’s Leadership Series Event Focuses on Strengths-Based Development
- Fisher Receives $410,000 Higher Ed Capital Funding for Science Building
- Freshmen, Seniors Asked to Participate in Student Engagement Survey
- Pharmacy/MBA Students Win State Business Competition
- Fisher Celebrates National Girls and Women in Sports Day