Cooney Miner Inducted into American Academy of Nursing 2013 Class of Fellows
Dr. Dianne Cooney Miner, Dean of the Wegmans School of Nursing at St. John Fisher College, was inducted into the American Academy of Nursing’s 2013 Class of Fellows on Saturday, October 19. The induction ceremony took place in Washington, DC, during the Academy’s 40th annual meeting.
Cooney Miner, the founding dean of the Wegmans School of Nursing, is one of 172 esteemed nurse leaders who was recognized, and one of only 10 from New York State. The Academy is composed of more than 2,000 nurse leaders in education, management, practice, policy, and research. The Academy Fellows include hospital and government administrators, college deans, and renowned scientific researchers. With this new class, Fellows represent all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and 19 countries.
“I am profoundly grateful to the Academy for this recognition, to the many faculty, colleagues, and friends who have helped me develop as a clinician, educator, and activist; and to my family who have always been so proud of ‘my wife, my mom, the nurse,’” said Cooney Miner.
Selection criteria include evidence of significant contributions to nursing and health care and sponsorship by two current Academy Fellows. Applicants are reviewed by a panel comprised of elected and appointed Fellows, and selection is based, in part, on the extent the nominee’s nursing career has influenced health policies and the health and wellbeing of all.
Cooney Miner’s selection was based on a career that reflects substantive accomplishments related to influencing and improving patient care through the vehicle of nursing education. She has helped to develop an innovative model to accomplish legislative change to advance the education of registered nurses, known as the New York State “BS in 10,” and has worked as an activist to influence stakeholders for legislative change in New York and across the country. She is a founding board member of ANA NY, a new state affiliate of the American Nurses Association and the Institute for Nursing – New York State Nursing Workforce Center.
Working to overcome barriers to nurse practitioner practice, Cooney Miner secured funds for a Nurse Managed Care Center to provide primary care to vulnerable populations in Rochester. Most recently, she is the founding co-editor of the DNP Forum, the first online journal focused on the dissemination of DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice) clinical practice scholarship.
Cooney Miner serves on the board of the Children’s Agenda and the Children’s Institute. In addition, she is the U.S. representative to UDINE, a group of European Union faculty working to standardize nursing education in the Union. She has been recognized locally for her leadership — as a finalist for the Athena Women’s Leadership award and as a winner of the Rochester Business Alliance health care leadership award. Her research interests focus on high-performance work teams, and she is currently a Co-Principal Investigator on a study on interdisciplinary team performance with the Veterans Administration and Brown University.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Move In Day on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Pie in the Face, Wear Pink Wednesday, Think Pink Bingo Planned for Cancer Awareness Week
- Martino ’71 to be Honored During Palvino Excellence in Communication Award Luncheon
- Checking the Box to Make a Difference
- Golf Tournament a Chance to Network for Accounting Club Members
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- Melissa Bissonette Honored by Literacy Volunteers of Rochester
- Meet the Man behind the Basketball Brackets
- Chemistry Alum Wins Prestigious Gilliam Fellowship from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Community Conversation: “It’s All About the Kids”
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Communication Professors Earn Awards at National Conference
- Swiencicki Published in Women’s Studies in Communication Journal
- Fisher Communications/Journalism Alum Given Courage in Journalism Award
- Seven Presidents, 60 Years. Dr. Don Muench Reflects on Fisher’s Fearless Leaders
- Journalism Students Work with Local News Station to Cover Rochester’s Hidden Gems