Joint Grant Award to Fund Student Research
The Biology Department was recently awarded a 2012 Center for Imaging Science (CIS) Research Micro-Grant, in the amount of $5,150.00, from the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) that will fund joint research between Fisher students and RIT students. The grant was established by RIT to promote new, interdisciplinary collaborations.
Dr. Fernando Ontiveros, Assistant Professor of Biology, and Dr. Maria Helguera, Associate Professor of Biology at CIS, will oversee the research project. Students will use the grant to explore the use of ultrasound frequencies to enhance the transdermal delivery of lipid-based nanoparticles. The research will begin in summer 2013.
“Drawing from Dr. Helguera’s expertise in ultrasound tissue characterization, and Dr. Ontiveros’ training in cellular and animal models and controlled-release technologies, the project will involve students in cutting-edge research that seeks more effective ways to deliver preventive and/or therapeutic treatments to patients in the not-so-distant future,” said Dr. Kristin Picardo, Associate Professor and Interim Chair of Biology.
Check out photos from Commencement 2016 on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- What to Expect at Orientation 2016
- Advice Straight from the Orientation Team
- New Greater Amsterdam School District Superintendent an Ed.D. Grad
- Bills Selected to Attend Workshop on Medicinal Chemistry
- Fisher Launches New TV Campaign
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Full Accreditation
- Comedian, Former Presidential Speech Writer Headline Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- Pharmacy Students Earn 100 Percent Pass Rate on New York State Licensing Exam