Joint Grant Award to Fund Student Research
The Biology Department was recently awarded a 2012 Center for Imaging Science (CIS) Research Micro-Grant, in the amount of $5,150.00, from the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) that will fund joint research between Fisher students and RIT students. The grant was established by RIT to promote new, interdisciplinary collaborations.
Dr. Fernando Ontiveros, Assistant Professor of Biology, and Dr. Maria Helguera, Associate Professor of Biology at CIS, will oversee the research project. Students will use the grant to explore the use of ultrasound frequencies to enhance the transdermal delivery of lipid-based nanoparticles. The research will begin in summer 2013.
“Drawing from Dr. Helguera’s expertise in ultrasound tissue characterization, and Dr. Ontiveros’ training in cellular and animal models and controlled-release technologies, the project will involve students in cutting-edge research that seeks more effective ways to deliver preventive and/or therapeutic treatments to patients in the not-so-distant future,” said Dr. Kristin Picardo, Associate Professor and Interim Chair of Biology.
- O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery to Open “Parallel Universe and Figurations” Exhibit May 20
- Wegmans School of Nursing Acknowledges Nine with Graduate Awards
- MBA Graduates Recognized
- Inaugural Joining Forces Conference Attracts 170 Health Care Professionals, Veterans to Campus
- Executive Leadership Program Honors Students
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Honors Students During Hooding Ceremony
- Bain Awards President’s Medals at 59th Commencement
- President’s Awards Ceremony Recognizes 47 Graduating Seniors
- Madigan, Plata, and McGregor Honored During Commencement Weekend
- Class of 2013 Presents Class Gift
- Goonan ’75 Receives Honorary Degree
- McCullough Urges Graduates to ‘Keep Learning, Cultivate Curiosity’
- Sodano Receives Father Dorsey Award
- School of Pharmacy Holds 2013 Student Awards
- “Undergraduate Review” Now Available Online