Joint Grant Award to Fund Student Research
The Biology Department was recently awarded a 2012 Center for Imaging Science (CIS) Research Micro-Grant, in the amount of $5,150.00, from the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) that will fund joint research between Fisher students and RIT students. The grant was established by RIT to promote new, interdisciplinary collaborations.
Dr. Fernando Ontiveros, Assistant Professor of Biology, and Dr. Maria Helguera, Associate Professor of Biology at CIS, will oversee the research project. Students will use the grant to explore the use of ultrasound frequencies to enhance the transdermal delivery of lipid-based nanoparticles. The research will begin in summer 2013.
“Drawing from Dr. Helguera’s expertise in ultrasound tissue characterization, and Dr. Ontiveros’ training in cellular and animal models and controlled-release technologies, the project will involve students in cutting-edge research that seeks more effective ways to deliver preventive and/or therapeutic treatments to patients in the not-so-distant future,” said Dr. Kristin Picardo, Associate Professor and Interim Chair of Biology.
Check out photos from Fisher's 2015 Commencement Ceremonies on Flickr!
Latest College News Stories
- Westbay Begins Role as Interim Dean of the College School of Arts and Sciences
- Rooney’s Tenure as St. John Fisher College President Begins
- Lavery Library Earns Several Awards
- Media and Communication Alumna Receives Rising Star Award from Local Public Relations Society
- Area High School Students Honored for College Club Participation
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Fisher Ed.D. Candidate Praised for Improving School Attendance
- Fisher Hosts Roundtable Discussion for Government Relations Professionals
- Hundreds Celebrate Dr. Bain’s Presidency during Tribute Gala
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- St. John Fisher College Receives $50,000 Grant for Liberal Arts-Business Education Initiative
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Education Alumnus to Lead Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Students, Faculty Attend Microbiology Conference