Help Topic Detail
Students with disabilities have priority use of workstations marked for accessible features in public computer labs.
Accessible workstations are located in:
- Kearney 300
- Kearney K050 24/7 Lab (accessible via card swipe)
Both stations have scanners and Kurzweil software installed. Additionally, Kearney 300 has Dragon Naturally Speaking software installed. Software descriptions are below:
- Dragon Naturally Speaking is a voice recognition software product. Use your voice to create and edit documents, launch applications, open files, control your mouse, and more.
- Kurzweil 3000 is a scanning, reading, writing, and learning solution for students with learning disabilities or reading difficulties.
- Read:OutLoud 6 is an easy-to-use software application that reads eBooks, .pdf, .txt, and .rft files and the Internet aloud. It also includes several comprehension tools like highlighters, notes, reading outlines, and smart bookmarks. Read:OutLoud is installed on all academic computers on the Fisher campus.
An Induction Loop Listener is installed in ISHS Room 117, within the Integrated Science and Health Science Building. This audio induction loop receiver allows the user to listen to an audio frequency induction loop system using a standard pair of stereo headphones. There are 2 receivers and headphones available for use within the classroom.
A Merlin CCTV is located in Kearney 300 within the Disability Services area. The CCTV features HD video magnifier with text-to-speech. More information is available on the Enhanced Vision website.
For assistance with providing equal access to all web based information regardless of physical or developmental abilities and creating content to insure access for all users please read Creating Accessible Content [pdf]
Additional Resources & Documentation
- Dragon Naturally Speaking User Guide [pdf]
- Gmail Tips [pdf] - Take control of your Inbox
- Evernote User Guide [pdf]
- Inspiration 9 Software Guide [pdf]
- Livescribe Smartpen - Step by Step Basic Guide [pdf]
- Getting Started with Kurzweil [pdf]
- Natural Reader Screen Reader [pdf]
- Nook Study Guide [pdf]
- Quizlet User Guide [pdf]
- StudyBlue [pdf]
- Study Tips and Tricks [pdf]
- Text-to-Speech Software Review [pdf]
- Read:OutLoud - Quick Card [pdf] and Read:OutLoud 6 Tutorial [pdf] - learn in 30 minutes!