Student Email to Move to Gmail
The Office of Information Technology is pleased to announce the migration of all student email accounts to the Google Email system (Gmail) at the end of December 2011.
After discussions with students, faculty, and staff, it became clear that the Gmail service could offer many additional features and services that our current email system could not provide as it is configured today. Since over 49% of students already have a personal Gmail account, a significant portion of the student body is already familiar and knows how to use Gmail.
Some of Gmail benefits include:
-Email addresses will remain the same.
-Vastly larger mailbox sizes. New Gmail mailboxes will be 25 GB in size, which is 125 times more space for emails and attachments than currently available in the SJFC email system.
-Access to Google Docs for collaboration purposes.
-Superior integration with mobile devices. Many apps for Android and iPhone exist to link your mobile device to Google at no cost.
OIT will be making information available to students on their website. This includes how students can configure their mobile device(s) to properly access their Gmail accounts.
- Fisher’s Tech Support Services Director Shares Best Practices at Tech Summit
- Campus Phone Upgrade
- Summer Computer Updates
- OIT Staff Member Wins Award at SUNY Film Festival
- OIT Launches Mobile App
- OIT and Wegmans School of Pharmacy Publish Case Study
- OIT Staff Member Receives Award
- “The Irish Vampire” Coming to Fisher
- OIT Staff to Present at Regional Conference
- OIT to Add Two New Wireless Networks