Healthy U Hub
Wellness Program at St. John Fisher College
St. John Fisher College values the wellbeing of each individual faculty and staff member. The wellness program, "Healthy U," is committed to encouraging employees to make personal choices that promote optimal health and to creating a culture of total wellness.
It is the mission of the St. John Fisher College Healthy U program to provide a variety of opportunities designed to encourage personal growth in the area of total wellness. St. John Fisher College will recognize its employees' diverse needs and interests by promoting educational programming, events, activities, resources and the use of facilities in areas such as fitness, nutrition and general health.
- Monday and Wednesdays at 11:45 a.m.
- The class meets in the COP room
- Tuesdays from 5:30 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- Meet in the Health & Wellness Center
Rowing at Pittsford Indoor Rowing Center
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday 6 - 8:30 a.m.
- Nov. 24, Dec. 1 - 12, and Jan. 14 - Feb. 19
- Campus shuttle departs Athletic Center at 6 a.m. and returns by 7:45 a.m.
Here are some helpful resources for the entire campus community to use, long after the Eat Well, Live Well challenge is over. We hope these guides will help you continue to eat well and live even better!
Take charge of your weight this holiday season!
Did you know that the average American gains 1-2 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year's? While this may not sound like a lot, most people never lose it, so that weight accumulates over the years. People who are already overweight or obese tend to gain an average of 5 pounds during the holiday season. This holiday season, make a pledge to Maintain, Don't Gain!
Use these tips to avoid those extra holiday pounds:
- Keep moving! Aim for at least 30 minutes a day of exercise. If you currently aren't active, start with 5-10 minutes and build up to 30 - any exercise is better than none. Make a plan and stick to it.
- Add lots of color! Eating lots of colorful fruits and vegetables have proven to help with weight management. They are low in calories and loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, which helps you feel full. Try to make half of each meal vegetables and fruits.
- Set a goal and celebrate your successes! Making exercise and healthy eating a regular habit takes commitment and planning. Set an achievable goal and then celebrate your success. Then set a new goal, and soon you will have lots of new healthy habits!
- What Counts as a Cup? [pdf]
- Eat a Rainbow Every Day [pdf]
- Build a Better Salad [pdf]
- Daily Meal Template [pdf]
- Step Conversion Chart [pdf]
- 100 Ways to Add 2000 Steps [pdf]
- 100 Ways to Eat Healthier [pdf]
- Portion Control Wallet Guide
Links for Wellness and Nutrition
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
- American Diabetes Association
- CDC's Healthy Weight
- Excellus November Heath Break
- Exercise and Building Bones
- Tick Talk
Please submit recipes to our suggestion box, we will be featuring an employee "recipe of the month."
Upcoming Healthy U Events
2014 Corporate Challenge
From Desk Chair to Corporate Challenge; Fisher Team Finds Success
Members of the St. John Fisher College community represented the College well at this year’s J.P. Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge held at the Rochester Institute of Technology on May 29. Over 85 faculty and staff participants joined the crowd of nearly 11,000 runners and walkers from 460 companies and organizations. This year’s Fisher team was the largest one yet.