Healthy U Hub
Spring 2013 Fitness Class Schedule
Beginning the week of January 21 through May 23
PiYo is a unique class designed to build strength and gain flexibility. Pilates and yoga are combined to create a calorie-burning and muscle-toning workout.
Mondays and Fridays - 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
*Note: During the month of May, classes will be held Mondays and Wednesdays, same time
COP Conference Room
Instructor: Alisa DiMora
Bring: Yoga mat, your bare feet, and clothes that will allow a full range of motion (loose clothes tend to slip out of place during many of the PiYo poses).
A Latin-inspired dance party that features high energy, calorie-burning moves that are fun and easy to follow. The Zumba craze has taken the nation (and now our campus) by storm!
Tuesdays and Thursdays - 4:45-5:30 p.m.
Michaelhouse Performing Arts Space
Instructor: Andrea Bonaccorso
Wear comfortable clothes that allow for plenty of movement and sneakers that offer cushion and support.
Set up and ready to go - no instructor just exercises set up and selected to do the session! Go at your own pace!
Every Tuesday from 4:45 – 6:00 p.m. multipurpose fitness room (next to racquetball courts)
Every Thursday from 12:00-1:00 p.m. in the varsity gym
CLASSES ARE FREE!
Desk Chair to Corporate Challenge!
Informal group sessions will be held every Wednesday from 3:30-4:30 p.m. beginning March 13!
Polisseni Track and Field Complex
Would you like to join your colleagues running the Corporate Challenge, but think you can’t because you’re not an athlete? Join other beginning (or lapsed) runners in the Desk Chair to Corporate Challenge program!
It's a 9-week program that starts by getting us out of our chairs and ends with being able to run comfortably for 30 minutes or more.
To sign up or for more information, contact Ginny Maier (email@example.com)
Staying Heart Healthy
Thursday, March 28 - 12:30-1:30 p.m.
Wilson Formal Lounge
Larry Jacobson will share some of his personal story, and will talk about the College's participation in the annual Heart Walk, held by the American Heart Association. The walk is on Saturday, April 13, and raises funds for research and programs to fight cardiovascular diseases. Larry is working with the Asian Student Union to form the 2013 College team!
2013 Corporate Challenge
Tuesday, May 21
The 2013 J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge® in Rochester will be held on the grounds of Rochester Institute of Technology. This year, Rochester will welcome runners from around the world for the 2013 J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge Championship, which will start five minutes before the regular race.
Registration opened on Wednesday, February 27. Log on and register as part of the St. John Fisher College team today!
With the convenience and flexibility of meetings at work with the Monthly Pass, now is a great time to start reaching your weight-loss goals. Meetings work for both men and women, private weigh-ins, and group support. Currently, Fisher's group has 14 people attending meetings and more are welcome! Since April 2012, the group has lost over 150 pounds! Interested? Contact Julie Chantra (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Links for Wellness and Nutrition
- Cornell Cooperative Extension
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
- American Diabetes Association
Please submit recipes to our suggestion box, we will be featuring an employee "recipe of the month."
Have a Healthy 2013 By...
- Unplug! Take a computer-free vacation next year and let your brain recharge!
- Less texting, more person-to-person conversation! A key to having a good quality of life!
- Buy from the local farmer's market or local farm and avoid toxic chemicals that can be introduced to your food during packaging and shipping.
- Buy and eat organic fruits and vegetables. You'll save in healthcare costs down the line too!
- Don't hold grudges. It's not good for the soul.
- Take daily walks and when the sun is out, go outside! It will help you recharge some energy and get your blood pumping too.
- Exercise - and make it part of your daily routine.
- Be kind to others and help those in need. It will help relieve some of your own stress.
- Don't neglect your financial health - use credit less and try to save more.