If you are not currently enrolled in a degree program at St. John Fisher College, you may* be able to take classes as a non-matriculated student. Registration is on a space available basis, for either audit or credit enrollment, after the designated registration period for continuing matriculated students. You will not receive an academic advisor and are not eligible for financial aid.
*Students who are inadmissible to the College or who are academically dismissed from St. John Fisher College or any other college may not audit or enroll in non-matriculated status.
Certain courses may have prerequisites or may be restricted to upper-level degree candidates. Proof of prerequisite completion or permission from the instructor may be required to take such a course.
Requirements for Non-Matriculated Students
Non-matriculated students taking a course for credit:
- Must provide college transcripts, proof of high school graduation, or a completed G.E.D., whichever is most recent
- Must present transcripts for courses requiring prerequisites
- Are not admitted or accepted to Fisher as matriculated students
- May take a maximum 12 credit hours (4 courses) in non-matriculated status, and no more than 11 credits in any one semester
- Are not eligible for financial aid through the College
Auditing a Course
In addition to the guidelines above, to audit a course you must meet with the instructor prior to registration for permission and agreement about the nature of your participation in the course and assignments. The instructor will sign the Undergraduate Non-matriculated Form. The cost of auditing a course is the same as taking a course for credit.
Courses which require ongoing, active participation in the work of the course, such as Independent Study and Foreign Language, are not open for audit.
Exceptions must be approved by the provost or designee.
Registration Dates for Non-Matriculated Students
Summer 2016 - begins May 2.
Fall 2016 - begins August 22.
Dates for non-matriculated student registration usually abide by the following guidelines:
- Fall Semester - Two weeks before fall semester begins
- Spring Semester - One week before spring semester begins
- Summer - Two weeks after continuing students may register
See the Registration Information page for more information on academic calendars.
How to Register for a Class as a Non-Matriculated Student
- Identify the undergraduate class(es) you wish to take. See Course Offerings for details (refer to Exploring Fisher's Course Offerings [pdf] for help navigating page). If you are looking for summer online classes only, view Summer Online Courses. Be sure seats are available and you meet any required prerequisites. Note: registration for graduate level courses are handled differently, through Graduate Admissions.
- Submit the Undergraduate Non-Matriculated form [pdf] to Academic Affairs, Kearney 202, either in person, by fax (585-385-8117), or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide official/unofficial college transcripts, proof of high school graduation or GED, whichever is most recent, and proof of any required prerequisites.
- Your bill will be mailed to the address you provide on the form. Tuition and fee(s) are due 14 business days from the date of your registration, at the current rate per credit hour for part-time undergraduate students. See the Student Accounts website for additional information.
Questions about undergraduate non-matriculated course registration? Contact us at (585) 385-8034.