Contact the Center for Academic Advising and Support Services

Office: Kearney Hall, 202
Phone: (585) 385-8034
Fax: (585) 385-8117

Common Advising Issues

Which Catalog Are You Following?

New freshmen must fulfill all requirements for graduation in the in effect the year that they enter the college, i.e. 2013-2014 for this year's freshmen.

Transfer students' catalog year is indicated on their Transfer Credit Evaluation.

Students may move their catalog year forward to follow new degree requirements (core always remains the same), but they may not move it backward. Degree requirements must be followed from only 1 bulletin. It is important to know which catalog is being followed when using the online degree evaluation. Archived UG Catalogs are available online.

Catalog year changes are made by submitting the Academic Change Form [pdf] to Registrar.

Catalog Year »

The College Core

Students who begin as freshmen must complete the entire College Core. Advanced credit earned in high school, such as AP, IB, CLEP and transfer credit, may be applied toward completion the core.

Transfer students may have part or all of their Core Foundations Tier 1 waived. See the student's Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) for details.

Core Requirements »

Double Major vs. Double Degree

There are significant differences between earning a double degree and adding a 2nd major to a program of study. Students often declare 2nd majors in pursuit of their college degrees. If a student meets all of the course requirements for both majors, the student may graduate with one degree and have two majors listed on the academic transcript. With careful planning, degree requirements for two majors can be completed within the minimum 120 credits needed to earn the one degree.

Sometimes students wish to pursue two distinct degrees—either a BA and a BS, or two BS or BA degrees. In these cases, the requirements for each major and each degree must be met, and students must earn a minimum of 150 credit hours.

In the case of a student returning to earn a 2nd degree after the awarding of the student's first degree, the student must earn a minimum of 30 additional credit hours and meet all requirements for the 2nd degree. Please refer students to the Registrar for clarification.

Dual Degrees »

Foreign Language (P5 Core) Requirement

  • BA degree students must complete the 2 semester sequence of a foreign language. The introductory foreign language sequence also satisfies two P5 Core requirements.
  • Placement details at Modern Languages and Cultures. If further clarification is needed, refer students to the department.
  • Sign language does not satisfy Fisher's FL requirement, however it does fulfill the P5 core. BS Childhood Education students may use sign language to complete the SoE's language requirement.

Core Requirements »

GPA Requirements

  • 2.0 overall for all UG students
  • 2.0 in the major
  • 2.0 in the minor

Transfer course grades are not included in the Fisher GPA. In the case of major and minor electives (courses not specifically required), all courses that may be applied are used in determination of the GPA, even if the student takes extra electives.

Some majors, including SMGT & NURS, require minimum grades of C (2.0) for individual major courses. Other majors, including SMGT & EDUC, require specific GPA's for eligibility for practicums, internships and student teaching.

Grading »

Inter-Institutional Policy

St. John Fisher College is a member of the Rochester Area Colleges Consortium. The Consortium allows undergraduate matriculated students to enroll in undergraduate courses on a space-available basis at any RAC college. The student must be enrolled full-time (12 credits minimum) at the home school and receive the appropriate permission on the "Inter-institutional Undergraduate Student Enrollment Form" available from the Registrar.

There is no tuition charge for Inter-institutional enrollment at the RAC schools, which include Nazareth, MCC, SUNY Geneseo, SUNY Brockport, RIT, U of R, FLCC, and Keuka College. This is not available in the summer. Academic and administrative policies, dates and procedures of the host school govern students. Credit earned from the host school is applied as transfer credit to the Fisher student's record. See the Registrar for more information.

Latin Honors

Sixty (60) hours of Fisher graded coursework must be earned in order to be eligible for Latin Honors at commencement. Coursework graded only on an S/U basis that is required by the major may also count in the graded hours determination.

Transfer students who complete fewer than 60 hours at Fisher are ineligible to receive Latin Honors at commencement.

Academic Honors »

Liberal Arts Requirement

The BS degree requires 60 liberal arts credits. The BA degree re-quires 90 liberal arts credits (plus a foreign language sequence and a minor).

Applied coursework in most professional programs is not considered liberal arts, including NURS, MGMT, MKTG, HRMG, ACCT, and FINA. Many ITDY, SPST, MSTI and EDUC courses are also not considered liberal arts.

Search the Course Offerings for liberal arts courses by selecting "All Courses" and the attribute "YLIB" (Yes Liberal Arts) at the bottom of the list.

Courses that transfer from other institutions in the areas of COMM, ARTS, criminal justice and CSCI-related fields may not transfer in as liberal arts. For clarification, view the student's TCE (Transfer Credit Evaluation) or check with the Registrar.

Liberal Arts and Sciences Requirements »

Repeating Coursework

A course may be repeated as many times as desired unless restricted by a program, i.e. Nursing. When a course is repeated, the original grade is not removed from the student's record, but only the most recent grade is calculated into the cum GPA. When a student repeats a course in which any passing grade has been earned, additional credits are not earned for the course.

199C courses, regardless of their departmental designations, are repeats of one another. A student may not receive credit for more than one 199C course.

Graduate schools may consider all graded attempts at a course as part of the cumulative GPA. This varies by school and program.

A student wishing to repeat a course at Fisher for which transfer credit was already awarded must consult the Registrar.

Repeated coursework might not be considered toward full-time enrollment for some kinds of federal/state aid. Additional aid questions regarding full time-status should be directed to Financial Aid.

Grading and Transcripts »

Residency Requirement

The maximum transfer credit awarded for any combination of 2-year schools, AP, CLEP, IB, and ACE recommendations of credit from non-collegiate sources, such as the Armed Forces, is 66 credits.

All students must complete at least 30 of the final 36 credits of the degree at Fisher. This means that no more than 6 credits may be transferred once a student is in the final 36 credits of degree completion. Students should plan transfer of credits early in their program rather than wait until their senior year.

Every student must complete at least 1/2 of the major and earn a minimum of 30 credits at Fisher in order to earn a degree. See Academic Programs to view major requirements and Degree Requirements for Graduation for full details.

Degree Requirements »

Transferring Course Credit

Awarding transfer credit is based on receipt of official college transcripts and official score reports (AP, IB, CLEP). Fisher does not award credit from a high school transcript. Once credit is awarded, the articulated credit is posted on the student's Fisher transcript, viewable via Fish 'R' Net.

Students need to know what coursework has transferred in order to avoid enrolling in the same course at Fisher. Credit cannot be earned twice for the same course.

Consult the Transfer Articulation Guide for more details and to access the Transfer Credit Request Form, which is required to verify transfer course equivalencies.

Transferring Course Credit »

Course Withdrawal Considerations & Advising Discussion Points

When advising students who are struggling with a course, consider the following questions, courses of actions, and their consequences.

Q: Have you met w/your instructors to discuss your academic progress through midterm?

Q: What is your goal grade for the course? Is it still realistically achievable?

Q: What have you done to try to improve your standing in the class? Are there additional resources you could be using to further assist your efforts?

Q: Is this course required for your major? Do you plan to continue in the major? If so, what are your plans to complete this requirement?

  • Notes: Certain major requirements are only offered once per academic year. Sciences, math and computer science majors have especially strict sequencing considerations.
  • Resources: Undergraduate Catalog, Course Schedule

Q: Will dropping this course put you below full-time (12 credits)?

  • Notes: Dropping below 12 credits can impact financial aid, housing and/or athletic participation. 
    • For financial aid, It may be possible to drop to part-time between midterm and the last day to W, but it's important to see a financial aid counselor (Kearney 204) to assess your individual situation.
    • Resident students need written permission from Residential Life to remain in the residence halls w/less than 12 credits. See Residential Life office on the 2nd floor of the Campus Center.
    • Athletes must be full-time to compete. Students are encouraged to discuss their academic needs with coaches as well.

Map & DirectionsA-Z Site IndexPeople Directory

Copyright © St. John Fisher College • 3690 East Avenue, Rochester, New York 14618 • (585) 385-8000
Questions/Comments? - Email the Webmaster Website Terms of Use