Alumnus Honored by American Medical Association Foundation
Michael Maguire ’07, who is currently an MD/MPH student at University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine (UMMSM), was recently honored by the American Medical Association (AMA) Foundation with the 2014 Leadership Award. He was one of 15 recipients, and accepted his award on June 6 at the Annual Excellence in Medicine Awards Celebration in Chicago.
This national award recognizes medical students, residents/fellows, and early career physicians for achievements in community service, medical education, and public health. Award recipients will receive special training to develop their skills as future leaders in community affairs and organized medicine.
Maguire, who was a Biology major, is a third-year medical student in the UMMSM’s combined four-year MD/MPH program. His interests include primary care, global health, health policy, medical education, and administration. Since his freshman year, he has worked with the World Health Organization as an intern and consultant, focusing primarily on malaria control programs and strengthening health systems. In addition, he is passionately involved in UMMSM's Department of Community Service and is responsible for developing a new student-run clinic partnership with Caridad Center, which cares for a largely uninsured, underserved immigrant population in Palm Beach County, Florida. He is also interested in curriculum reform and has contributed to the creation of multiple new fourth-year rotations at UMMSM, including an elective for Medical Education and a Public Health Clerkship that is now mandatory for MD/MPH students.
The Excellence in Medicine Award program is presented in association with Eli Lilly & Co., Novo Nordisk Pharmaceuticals, Inc., PhRMA, and Pfizer Inc.
Stay connected with the Fisher community! Update your contact information to hear about upcoming alumni events, news, and more!
Latest Alumni News
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Fisher Unveils Statue in Memory of Alumnus Thomas Way ’66 on Veteran’s Day
- Natural Landscapes Subject of New Exhibit at Fisher’s Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Eight Inducted into Athletics Hall of Fame
- Rosica, Smith Meet with Pope Francis
- Annual Giving Campaign Kicks Off with Luncheon
- Rochester Radio Show Comes to Fisher during November First Friday Lecture