Trovato Lecture Set for February 20
On Thursday, February 20, St. John Fisher College will host the annual Joseph A. Trovato Lecture featuring Dr. Harry Murray, Chair of the Sociology and Anthropology Department at Nazareth College. He will present “Hellfire from Heaven: The Morality of Weaponized Drones,” addressing the moral and ethical issues raised by weaponized drones in light of Catholic social teaching, biblical perspectives, and international law. The lecture will begin at 7:00 p.m. in Basil 135.
Murray will address issues including the killing of civilians, drones as a way to save American lives, the effect of drones on children and community in the tribal areas of Pakistan, the execution of American citizens without due process, drones in the context of international law, the effect of drones on the growth of terrorism, and the blurring of the line between war and peace. He will also discuss the nonviolent resistance to weaponized drones that has arisen in Upstate New York and throughout the country.
Murray has been teaching at Nazareth since 1987. He received a Ph.D. in Sociology from Syracuse University and a master's degree in Regional Planning from Cornell University. He is the author of Do Not Neglect Hospitality: The Catholic Worker and the Homeless (1990) and, most recently, co-author of “Toward a Psychology of Nonviolence” in Toward a Socially Responsible Psychology for a Global Era (2014). Murray has been a member of the St. Joseph’s House of Hospitality community since 1987, responsible for coordinating the Saturday meal. In addition, he has been involved in the peace movement since the 1970s and has participated in nonviolent civil disobedience at the Pentagon, Griffiss Air Force Base, Seneca Army Depot, the School of the Americas, the Monroe County Department of Social Services, and, most recently, Hancock Air National Guard Base in Syracuse, site of a control center for MQ-9 Reaper drones.
The lecture is hosted by the Ethics Minor Program, and is free and open to the public.
Stay connected with the Fisher community! Update your contact information to hear about upcoming alumni events, news, and more!
Latest Alumni News
- April First Friday Lecture Explores Italian American Identity
- Jill Knittel ’94, ’03 (MBA) Honored as St. John Fisher College’s Outstanding Accounting Alumnus of the Year
- St. John Fisher College Names 7th President
- Club Hockey Team Wins National Collegiate Hockey Association National Tournament
- Fisher Advances to the Sweet 16
- 2015 Lobene Lecture to Feature Best-Selling Author Dr. Sherry Turkle March 23
- 2013 Alumnus Publishes Article in U.S. Naval Institute Magazine
- March First Friday Lecture Focus is European Influence in Rochester
- Fisher to Participate in 2015 “If All of Rochester Reads the Same Book” Program
- Lavery Library to Host Traveling Lincoln Exhibition