Trovato Lecture Set for February 20
On Thursday, February 20, St. John Fisher College will host the annual Joseph A. Trovato Lecture featuring Dr. Harry Murray, Chair of the Sociology and Anthropology Department at Nazareth College. He will present “Hellfire from Heaven: The Morality of Weaponized Drones,” addressing the moral and ethical issues raised by weaponized drones in light of Catholic social teaching, biblical perspectives, and international law. The lecture will begin at 7:00 p.m. in Basil 135.
Murray will address issues including the killing of civilians, drones as a way to save American lives, the effect of drones on children and community in the tribal areas of Pakistan, the execution of American citizens without due process, drones in the context of international law, the effect of drones on the growth of terrorism, and the blurring of the line between war and peace. He will also discuss the nonviolent resistance to weaponized drones that has arisen in Upstate New York and throughout the country.
Murray has been teaching at Nazareth since 1987. He received a Ph.D. in Sociology from Syracuse University and a master's degree in Regional Planning from Cornell University. He is the author of Do Not Neglect Hospitality: The Catholic Worker and the Homeless (1990) and, most recently, co-author of “Toward a Psychology of Nonviolence” in Toward a Socially Responsible Psychology for a Global Era (2014). Murray has been a member of the St. Joseph’s House of Hospitality community since 1987, responsible for coordinating the Saturday meal. In addition, he has been involved in the peace movement since the 1970s and has participated in nonviolent civil disobedience at the Pentagon, Griffiss Air Force Base, Seneca Army Depot, the School of the Americas, the Monroe County Department of Social Services, and, most recently, Hancock Air National Guard Base in Syracuse, site of a control center for MQ-9 Reaper drones.
The lecture is hosted by the Ethics Minor Program, and is free and open to the public.
Stay connected with the Fisher community! Update your contact information to hear about upcoming alumni events, news, and more!
Latest Alumni News
- O’Keefe Ross Gallery Exhibit Showcases Rochester Art Club Member Work
- St. John Fisher College Announces Construction of New Chapel
- Tenures Begin for New Chairs, Member of St. John Fisher College Board of Trustees
- Beyond the Shore: Fisher Alumnus Breaks U.S. Transatlantic Rowing Record
- Executive Leadership Alum Named Superintendent of Greene County School District
- Fisher Alum Appointed Dean of UB School of Dental Medicine
- Convocation Brunch Brings Seniors Together for Reflection, Recognition
- Event Celebrates Tradition of Class Rings
- Fisher Grad Discovers Frederick Douglass Photograph
- Philanthropy Week by the Numbers