Bawany ’13 Named Peace Prize First Finalist
Mohammad Husain Bawany ’13 has advanced to the final round of the Peace First Prize competition, and now, he needs your help. The organizer of the national competition, which showcases and rewards young people who have worked towards making a difference in their own communities and beyond, is having a mini-competition using social media. The nominee who receives the most “likes” and Tweets from their story on the Peace Prize First website will be featured on the USA Network’s Characters Unite website.
Bawany, a religious studies and biology major while at Fisher, was nominated by the College for his peacemaking efforts and initiatives on campus.
As a student, Bawany worked with the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence as a Gandhi Service Fellow. As part of his fellowship, he organized the Coexistence Dinner and Dialogue, an event that brought together 80 students and administrators from area colleges to the Fisher campus in order to engage in active dialogue regarding their various faith traditions.
Bawany also served as President of the College’s Muslim Student Association, and was a member of the Student Government Association Senate. He was the recipient of the College’s 2012 Jennifer Koon Courage Award for Peacemaking. In addition, he received the Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship in 2013, which is awarded to a student involved in Fisher clubs and organizations whose programs reflect a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and social justice.
Vote for Bawany by “liking” his story on the website.
Winners will be announced this fall, and each will receive a $50,000 Peace First Fellowship over two years to support the continuation of their peacemaking work, and contribute to their ongoing education and professional development.
Stay connected with the Fisher community! Update your contact information to hear about upcoming alumni events, news, and more!
Latest Alumni News
- The Queen of Kings: The history of the Fisher Kings rugby club traces back to one student
- Save the Dates for 2016-2017 First Friday Lectures
- A Look Back at Alumni Weekend
- Five Inducted into Science and Tech Hall of Fame
- Inaugural Ten Under 10 Awards Honor Young Alumni
- Best Bets for Alumni Weekend 2016
- 2010 Grad Named Assistant Coach for NBA Development League Team
- Ed.D. Grad’s Work with Roc Hub Featured in D&C
- Fisher Announces Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Class
- Fisher Grad a Woman to Watch