Bawany ’13 Named Peace Prize First Finalist
Mohammad Husain Bawany ’13 has advanced to the final round of the Peace First Prize competition, and now, he needs your help. The organizer of the national competition, which showcases and rewards young people who have worked towards making a difference in their own communities and beyond, is having a mini-competition using social media. The nominee who receives the most “likes” and Tweets from their story on the Peace Prize First website will be featured on the USA Network’s Characters Unite website.
Bawany, a religious studies and biology major while at Fisher, was nominated by the College for his peacemaking efforts and initiatives on campus.
As a student, Bawany worked with the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence as a Gandhi Service Fellow. As part of his fellowship, he organized the Coexistence Dinner and Dialogue, an event that brought together 80 students and administrators from area colleges to the Fisher campus in order to engage in active dialogue regarding their various faith traditions.
Bawany also served as President of the College’s Muslim Student Association, and was a member of the Student Government Association Senate. He was the recipient of the College’s 2012 Jennifer Koon Courage Award for Peacemaking. In addition, he received the Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Undergraduate Diversity Scholarship in 2013, which is awarded to a student involved in Fisher clubs and organizations whose programs reflect a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and social justice.
Vote for Bawany by “liking” his story on the website.
Winners will be announced this fall, and each will receive a $50,000 Peace First Fellowship over two years to support the continuation of their peacemaking work, and contribute to their ongoing education and professional development.
Stay connected with the Fisher community! Update your contact information to hear about upcoming alumni events, news, and more!
Latest Alumni News
- Comedian, Former Presidential Speech Writer Headline Fisher’s Alumni Weekend
- O’Keefe Ross Gallery Exhibit Showcases Rochester Art Club Member Work
- St. John Fisher College Announces Construction of New Chapel
- Tenures Begin for New Chairs, Member of St. John Fisher College Board of Trustees
- Fisher Alumnus Organized Art Exhibit in Waterford, Ireland, Rochester’s Sister City
- Beyond the Shore: Fisher Alumnus Breaks U.S. Transatlantic Rowing Record
- Executive Leadership Alum Named Superintendent of Greene County School District
- Fisher Alum Appointed Dean of UB School of Dental Medicine
- Convocation Brunch Brings Seniors Together for Reflection, Recognition
- Event Celebrates Tradition of Class Rings