Fisher Holds 10th Annual Justinian Order Luncheon
The Justinian Order of St. John Fisher College held its tenth annual civic luncheon for members of the judiciary, the bar, government, law enforcement, and the business sector at the Rochester Plaza Hotel on Friday, June 3rd. The guest speaker at this year's luncheon was Lieutenant Governor Robert Duffy.
The Lt. Gov. was introduced by Dr. Donald Bain, President, after opening remarks.
"In the few short months that the Cuomo/Duffy team has been in Albany, it's clear that Bob has embraced his new role with the same energy and passion that he exhibited in Rochester," he said.
Prior to this role, Duffy had been mayor of Rochester since 2006. He navigated the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression by reducing the cost of government. While he was mayor, Rochester property values increased, and the tax rate declined. In addition, he reduced the city workforce to its lowest level since the Truman administration, while attracting millions of dollars in private-sector investments.
He is credited with developing Rochester's Center City by attracting major businesses to downtown locations—such as Paetec and ESL Federal Credit Union. And, with the creation of the Office of Public Integrity, he fostered government transparency and accountability.
Other highlights from his time in office include the successful launch of the Midtown Rising Project, and the completion of the Brooks Landing development after over 20 years of planning.
Since joining Governor Cuomo's leadership team in Albany, he has traveled extensively throughout the state presenting the executive budget message as well as the "People First Campaign."
The Justinian Order of St. John Fisher College is an academic and legal society intended to create collegiality among Fisher graduates professionally involved in the law. It is currently composed of over 400 judges and attorneys, all of whom are graduates of the College.
Stay connected with the Fisher community! Update your contact information to hear about upcoming alumni events, news, and more!
Latest Alumni News
- Recent Alum Selected for AmeriCorps Program
- Four Fisher Alumni among RBJ’s ‘Forty Under 40’
- Service-Learning Topic of December First Friday Lecture
- Four Fisher Grads among 2016 Athena Award Finalists
- Fisher Unveils Statue in Memory of Alumnus Thomas Way ’66 on Veteran’s Day
- Natural Landscapes Subject of New Exhibit at Fisher’s Patricia O’Keefe Ross Art Gallery
- Eight Inducted into Athletics Hall of Fame
- Rosica, Smith Meet with Pope Francis
- Annual Giving Campaign Kicks Off with Luncheon
- Rochester Radio Show Comes to Fisher during November First Friday Lecture