Apply to Fisher

Request Info graphic

Visit Fisher

Contact Graduate Admissions

Office: Welcome Center
Phone: (585) 385-8064
Fax: (585) 385-8344

Graduate Admissions FAQs

Applying for Graduate Programs

What are the steps to applying to St. John Fisher College?

Review the Graduate Application Procedures page.

When are the application deadlines?

Please refer to the Deadlines for Graduate Admissions page.

I applied for graduate study and would like to know the status of my application. Whom do I contact?

The Program Director and admissions committee will make a decision within 4 weeks of an applicant applying. Please call or email the Office of Graduate Admissions ( if you are concerned about the status of your graduate application.

Do I have to have official transcripts sent for every college-level class I have taken?

Yes, official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work must be submitted with your application.

How many copies of each official transcript should I send?

St. John Fisher College only requires one official copy from each institution.

What should I write in my personal statement?

The Admissions Committee values a well-developed personal statement that speaks to an applicant's specific professional plans and career objectives. The quality of the student's statement is an indication of the ability to express thoughts cogently. Applicants should view this essay as an opportunity to analyze past professional developments and consider anticipated future contributions as a result of graduate education.

What should the letters of recommendation include?

The letters of recommendation should evaluate the applicant's capacity to undertake a rigorous academic program as well as address the applicant's leadership ability as the person giving references sees it. Applicants who are current students or recent graduates must submit at least one recommendation from a college instructor. Applicants who are working should submit at least one recommendation from a supervisor. The person making the recommendation should have knowledge of the requirements of graduate-level work.

Letter of Recommendation Form [pdf]

Will you accept letters of recommendation mailed from my university's career center or letter service?

Yes, we will accept letters of recommendation that are included in your university credential files. However, if the letters are more than one year old, you may be requested to submit more recent references.

Transfer Credits, Deferral, and Readmission

Does St. John Fisher College accept transfer credit from other graduate schools?

A maximum of nine credits of graduate work done at other accredited institutions will be considered for transfer. These credits must have been taken in an accredited graduate program within six years prior to entering Fisher. They must have been completed with a grade of "B" or higher and be appropriate to the program of study at Fisher. Students should submit the Graduate Transfer Credit Request Form [pdf] to the Office of Graduate Admissions with the course descriptions and official transcript.

Determination of appropriateness for transfer credit will be made by the Program Director. For course work taken as quarter hours, students receive credit for 2/3 of the total hours earned. Grades earned in courses transferred from other institutions do not affect the student's grade point average.

If I am unable to accept the offer of admission, may I defer my acceptance to another semester?

Admitted students who wish to delay their entrance may do so for one semester. Students may request a deferral by contacting the Office of Graduate Admissions. Students who do not request a deferral must apply for readmission with the Office of Graduate Admissions.

I was a graduate student at Fisher but couldn't register or attend classes for a year due to work and family obligations. What do I need to do in order to return to graduate school?

Readmission is required for any graduate student who did not register at St. John Fisher College for more than one calendar year or was accepted but did not enroll or update his or her application status. When applying for readmission, the program director may require the student meet any new requirements for the degree. Please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions for a readmission packet at (585) 385-8064 or

The process for readmission is listed below:

  • Submit a new application along with an updated resume and personal statement to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
  • Request any official transcripts from the Registrar's office of each college and/or university that you attended since you first applied or attended St. John Fisher College. The transcripts are to be attached to the readmission form.

Once the application is received in the Office of Graduate Admissions it will be forwarded on to the program director. Readmission applicants may be required to meet with the program director to discuss educational goals and their decision to return to St. John Fisher College.

About Graduate Programs at St. John Fisher College

Where can I get more information about the departments at St. John Fisher College and their graduate programs?

The Graduate Programs page has a list of all degree programs offered at St. John Fisher College, as well as links to the department websites.

When are graduate courses offered?

Graduate courses are offered in a flexible format designed with the working professional in mind. Most classes are offered on the weekend and in the evening along with a few classes scheduled during the day. Refer to each department website to learn the different formats and course schedules for each program.

Detailed course schedule information can be found on the Course Schedule page.

Can I take non-matriculated classes and if so, how do I arrange that?

If you are interested in taking a non-matriculated course you must first contact the Office of Graduate Admissions. You will be asked to submit a transcript from the undergraduate institution indicating a completion of a bachelor's degree as well as complete a non-matriculated Acceptance form. The program director must also grant permission in order for you to take any non-matriculated course. Non-matriculated status does not indicate acceptance into a graduate program at Fisher. You may only be a non-matriculated status for one semester and enroll in no more than 6 credits.

Please keep in mind that some programs do not allow non-matriculated students to take classes. Please contact graduate admissions for specific programs information at

Can I schedule an appointment to see a graduate admissions counselor?

Yes! Scheduling an appointment with a graduate counselor is a great opportunity for you to become better acquainted with the program you are interested in as well as the application process.

» Schedule an Appointment Now

Graduate Student Profiles

Allison Rioux

Allison Rioux

Literacy coach Allison Rioux spent her days at French Road Elementary School in Brighton and her nights in the literacy education master’s program not too long ago.

As an undergraduate at Fisher, she loved the professors and felt that they really pushed her to become a great teacher. So, it seemed natural to continue her education with those same individuals.

She felt that she had a good balance of theory and practice in the program, thanks to the faculty, and she was able to bring back what she was learning to her classroom and apply it to her teaching right away.

She always felt comfortable seeking professional advice from her teachers, who all felt as passionate as she does about literacy. Completing the degree helped her to realize that literacy teaching and learning was her true calling in life.


Map & DirectionsA-Z Site IndexPeople Directory

Copyright © St. John Fisher College • 3690 East Avenue, Rochester, New York 14618 • (585) 385-8000
Questions/Comments? - Email the Webmaster Website Terms of Use