Fisher Named a 2014 Best Private College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
Kiplinger’s Personal Finance has included St. John Fisher College on its list of the country’s best values in private colleges. Kiplinger’s annual list ranks 100 private universities and 100 liberal arts colleges.
Fisher and the other schools included in the 2014 lists represent the colleges that provide high-quality academics at a reasonable cost during these continued tough economic times. The colleges exemplify the attributes parents and students look for in higher education, including small class sizes, a good freshman retention rate, and a high four-year graduation rate.
“This type of recognition just reinforces the value of the Fisher education to our students, parents, alumni, and prospective students,” said Dr. Donald Bain, President, St. John Fisher College. “It is also a testament to the hard work of the entire institution day in and day out, which has led to College-wide enrollment growth, high retention and graduation rates, and successful outcomes for our alumni.”
Fisher was one of only three local colleges to appear on the private universities' list, along with the University of Rochester and Rochester Institute of Technology.
“With President Obama’s recent emphasis on rating colleges and universities based on their value, our rankings serve as a valuable resource to help students and families make more informed choices,” says Janet Bodnar, editor of Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine. “Combining a high-quality education with an affordable price tag is a challenge, but the colleges on this year’s list offer the best of both worlds.”
Kiplinger’s rankings measure academic quality and affordability. Academic criteria include the student admission rate (the number of students accepted out of those who apply), the test scores of incoming freshmen, the ratio of students to faculty members, and the four- and five-year graduation rates. On the cost side, Kiplinger’s measures the sticker price, the availability and average amount of need-based and merit-based financial aid, and the average student debt at graduation. Many of the schools on the top 200 list have appeared in Kiplinger’s rankings in previous years, demonstrating that these schools consistently deliver good value. The top 50 colleges and top 50 universities appear in Kiplinger’s December issue. The full list is available online now at www.kiplinger.com/links/college.
Latest Campus Happenings
- Fisher Football Marches on in NCAAs in Texas
- Cardinals Crush Courage Bowl IX
- Fisher Named a 2014 Best Private College by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- Women’s Soccer Plays for More Than a Win
- Family Weekend Attracts 130 Fisher Families
- Pharmacy Students Complete Fifth Summer Mission, Help Set Record
- Marketing Club Prepares for the Annual AMA Marketing Week
- Communication/Journalism Department Now Department of Media and Communication
- St. John Fisher College Recognized on List of America’s Best Colleges
- College Introduces #FisherCares Initiative
- Roba Named 2nd Farash Scholar at Fisher
- Welcome Class of 2017!
- St. John Fisher College Hosts Annual College Bound Program
- “Camp College” Comes to St. John Fisher College This Weekend
- Local High School Students Are Now “College Bound”
- Students and Faculty Complete 7th Medical Mission to El Salvador
- Fisher Joins Liberty League for Rowing
- Fisher Accounting Storms Europe
- Fisher Marketing Club Wins AMA Collegiate Chapter Excellence Award
- Nursing Seniors Return from Clinical Rotation in Peru