Pharmacy Faculty, Staff, and Students Participate in Rochester River Challenge
Last month, 35 faculty, staff, and students from the Wegmans School of Pharmacy mobilized and formed five teams to participate in the 15th Annual Rochester River Challenge. The event is the largest outrigger canoe sprint race on the east coast.
The event benefits Cape Ability Outrigger Ohana, a local non-profit organization, whose mission is to provide an opportunity for individuals with disabilities to gain confidence through participating in paddle sports, recreation, and other educational programs.
Pharmacy student My Lien Nguyen currently serves on the organization's board of directors, and was one of its "pioneer paddlers." She tried to get the students from the school involved two years ago, and this year, decided to ask faculty to be a part of the event as well. According to her, that was the factor that helped make it a reality.
"The faculty really started the wave of excitement. Dr. Sapinoro and Professor Corigliano embraced the event and the excitement was contagious," said Nguyen. "Dean Swigart was excited and offered his support as well."
The School of Pharmacy sent two faculty teams and three student teams to the event. Nguyen hopes to not only have more pharmacy participation next year, but also hopes to involve other student organizations and departments.
"Outrigger canoeing takes the whole team working in unison to win, so it was a great way to do something together that was away from school and books. And it was all for a great cause," she said.
Dr. Ramil Sapinoro, one of the faculty members to take the lead, said the event was a great opportunity for the School to come together to help a local organization.
"The spirit of Ohana (family) was at the heart of the friendly competition between mixed faculty and staff teams, appropriately named 'The PHARManimals,'" he said. "Watching some of the other teams was a humbling experience, and reinforced the concept that a disability does not put you at a disadvantage. We hope to make this an annual event."
Wegmans School of Pharmacy faculty and staff show their competitive side for a great cause.
Faculty and staff teams row across the finish line full of smiles.
One of the three student teams rowing to the end!
All participants from the Wegmans School of Pharmacy.
Latest Pharmacy News
- Pharmacy Professor Fosters Research Partnership with Indian University
- Fisher Receives $410,000 Higher Ed Capital Funding for Science Building
- Pharmacy/MBA Students Win State Business Competition
- Pharmacy Students Place in Top 10 at National Clinical Skills Competition
- Walgreens Representative Presents Check for Diversity Scholarship
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Hosts Pharmacist Training Session on Medical Marijuana
- Pharmacy Student Wins Poster Competition at International Conference
- White Coat Ceremony Marks Milestone for Wegmans School of Pharmacy Class
- Dave, Zhao Receive Research Grants
- Juba Wins Paper Presentation Competition at Clinical Pharmacy Conference