Pharmacy School Hosts Continuing Education Event on Transgender Patients
On Sunday, March 11, the St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Pharmacy presented, “A Different Point of View: Overcoming Barriers to Healthcare in Transgender Patients,” during a continuing education event aimed at local pharmacists and pharmacy students. The event attracted over 100 attendees.
Dr. Jennifer Mathews, Assistant Professor, worked with pharmacy student Kevin Eich to organize the event. It included an informative review of basic transgender terminology, presented by Eich. Then Dr. Ashley R. Zuppelli, Assistant Professor, facilitated a presentation on the limited coverage of transgender health in pharmacy and medical education, and shared thoughts on promoting transgender-friendly environments. She also discussed the goals of hormone therapy, and gave a review of drug interactions and the adverse effects associated with the therapy.
The event concluded with a panel discussion facilitated by Jeanne Gainsburg, Outreach Coordinator at the Gay Alliance. The panel consisted of Gay Alliance Speakers Bureau members who shared their individual stories, including personal experiences with hormone treatment and thoughts on making pharmacies and medical clinics safe and inclusive for all people.
The presentation was co-sponsored by the Gay Alliance, the Pharmacy Society of Rochester, and the Rochester Area Society for Health-Systems Pharmacists.
Front row (L to R) panelists: Shauna O’Toole, Patti Jones, Noah Wagoner, Jason Robert. Back row (L to R): Jeanne Gainsburg (Gay Alliance, Moderator), Dr. Jennifer Mathews (WSOP), Kevin Eich (WSOP P2, Pharm.D. candidate), Dr. Ashley Zuppelli (WSOP), Dr. Amy Parkhill (WSOP).
Latest Pharmacy News
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Professor, Student Publish Manuscript in Journal of Pharmacy Practice
- Pharmacy Professor Tapped to Join Monroe County Asthma Advisory Committee
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Day of Service, Awards Ceremony Cap-Off Academic Year for Pharmacy School
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Swigart Posthumously Honored at Rochester Pharmacy Gala