Chemistry, Pharmacy, Math Faculty Land $111,000 Grant
The National Science Foundation has awarded a group of St. John Fisher College faculty with a grant in the amount of $111,881.00 to support a collaborative project.
Drs. Irene Kimaru, Assistant Professor of Chemistry; Bernard Ricca, Director of the Graduate Program in Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education; Fang Zhao, Associate Professor in the Wegmans School of Pharmacy; Kimberly Chichester, Assistant Professor of Chemistry; and Kristina Lantzky-Eaton, Assistant Professor and Chair of Chemistry, along with Dr. Marina Koether of Kennesaw State University, submitted the grant proposal for funds to put towards their project, "Collaborative Research: Analytical Method Transfer - Development of Case Studies."
For the project, undergraduate students enrolled in senior level analytical chemistry laboratory courses from both schools will work together to create two experiments that are being validated through Analytical Method Transfer (AMT). Students at one college will develop the experimental method, standard operating procedures, and figures of merit (i.e., accuracy, precision, specificity, selectivity, sensitivity, repeatability, reproducibility, linearity, range, detection limit, quantitation limit, robustness, and ruggedness). The experiment will then be transferred to the partnering college to undergo method equivalency testing by students.
The collected data will be used to determine whether the learning outcomes for students participating in a laboratory POGIL activity (with access to instrumentation) are equivalent to those for students participating in a classroom POGIL activity (with no access to instrumentation).
The National Science Foundation (NSF) is an independent federal agency created by Congress in 1950 to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; and to secure the national defense. The Foundation serves as a funding source for approximately 20 percent of all federally supported basic research conducted by America's colleges and universities.
Latest Pharmacy News
- Health Fair Delivers Medical Care to Refugees in Rochester
- School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding Ceremony
- Professor Shares Clinical Pharmacy Best Practices with India University
- Pharmacy Students Participate in Albany Legislative Day
- Awards Recognize Excellence within the School of Pharmacy
- Unither Scholars Program Benefits Wegmans School of Pharmacy Students
- Pharmacy School Gives Back during Day of Service
- Student Research Takes Center Stage this Month
- Pharmacy Faculty Collaborate with Bioscience Company on Research Project
- Chablani Published in Pharmaceutical Science Newsmagazine