Pharmacy Faculty and Students Purchase a Gift That Keeps on Giving
Before the Christmas holiday, Wegmans School of Pharmacy faculty and students raised funds to purchase the gift of food for families in India through the World Vision Organization, a Christian relief, development, and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families, and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
Dr. Christine Birnie, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, has a sponsor child through World Vision. During a mission trip to India several years ago, Birnie spent extra time there to meet with her sponsor child.
Birnie was so impressed with the organization that she brought the idea of working with World Vision to campus three years ago. It started off as a project with her Medical Missions class, as part of the class’ mission is to embrace the idea of helping people in underserved populations and developing nations around the world. She said her students in the Medical Missions class have such a great time with the project every year that she extends it to her P1 students.
There are several ways individuals can help the organization. This year, the group raised a total of $700 to purchase a cow, goat, and 10 chickens for families in need. The cow was given to a young mother and her children, and will provide them with milk. The goat and chickens were given to a family, who will use the goat’s milk to make yogurt and cheese and the chicken’s eggs to prepare nutritious meals.
Latest Pharmacy News
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Earns Accreditation for Continuing Professional Education Program
- School of Pharmacy Faculty Present at National Conferences
- Pharmacy Student Matthew Yacobucci Awarded AACP Walmart Scholarship
- Professor, Student Publish Manuscript in Journal of Pharmacy Practice
- Pharmacy Professor Tapped to Join Monroe County Asthma Advisory Committee
- Wegmans School of Pharmacy Holds Hooding, Presents Awards
- Day of Service, Awards Ceremony Cap-Off Academic Year for Pharmacy School
- Students Plan 5K in Honor of Pharmacy Dean
- Swigart Posthumously Honored at Rochester Pharmacy Gala
- Pharmacy Students Travel to Pune, India