Birnie Completes Fellowship Program
Dr. Christine Birnie, Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences in the St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Pharmacy, recently completed the Academic Leadership Fellowship Program (AFLP) with the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP).
The one-year competitive fellowship program ran from July 2011-July 2012, and included 30 fellows selected from pharmacy schools across the nation. The program covers personal and interpersonal competencies for leadership, practical management responsibilities, administrative competencies of an academic pharmacy administrator, and leadership in advocacy and the profession.
As part of the program, Birnie completed a group research project entitled, “The Evolving Landscape of Pre-Professional Pharmacy Curricula.” She worked on the project with faculty from five other institutions, and it was presented at the AACP national meeting in July. The group is also submitting the project for publication.
Birnie’s research team was mentored by Dr. Alan McKay, Dean of the Shenandoah University Bernard J. Dunn School of Pharmacy. The group met throughout the year, and communicated extensively through email, conference calls for leadership programming, and legislative training for research development. Dr. Scott Swigart, Dean of the Wegmans School of Pharmacy, also served as a mentor for Birnie throughout the program.
“It was an incredible program,” said Birnie. “I expanded my professional network, gained collaborative research experience, and learned a lot of very practical skills that can be applied to my daily setting as department chair here at the College.”
The ALFP is in its eighth year and has over 200 alumni.
Latest Pharmacy News
- Juba Wins Paper Presentation Competition at Clinical Pharmacy Conference
- Lull and Mathews Present Research at Gay and Lesbian Medical Association Conference
- Dave Appointed to United States Pharmacopeia Committee
- St. John Fisher College Pharmacy Faculty Study Effects of New Dispensing Device on Medication Adherence
- First Early Assurance Cohort Begins Coursework at Wegmans School of Pharmacy
- Williams Appointed General Counsel of the American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education
- Service Trips Defining Experience for Pharmacy Students
- Grant Funds Substance Abuse Screening and Intervention Training for Pharmacy, Nursing, and Mental Health Counseling Students
- Fisher Celebrates Opening of New Integrated Science and Health Sciences Building
- Thomas Selected to Participate in Paul Ambrose Scholarship Program