Faculty & Staff Detail
Jack E. Brown
Title: Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Pharmacy Practice & Administration
Office: WEGPHR 315
Phone: (585) 385-7208
Education: Pharm.D., Philadelphia College of Pharmacy
M.S., Dartmouth Medical College (Epidemiology and Biometrics)
B.S. Philadelphia College of Pharmacy
Certifications: Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist
Jack Brown, Pharm.D., M.S., BCPS, FCCP is an associate professor (with tenure) and department chairman for the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Administration at Wegmans School of Pharmacy.
He received his Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and subsequently completed pharmacy practice and infectious diseases specialty residencies at The Ohio State University Medical Center. He then took a position at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and Dartmouth Medical College as an infectious disease specialist and medical school faculty member. During his time there Dr. Brown obtained a master's degree in epidemiology and biometrics from Dartmouth College.
After years of clinical practice and research at Dartmouth, Dr. Brown accepted a position as a scientific director with Cubist Pharmaceuticals. During his time with Cubist, he was involved in the Daptomycin Investigator Initiated Grants program and several independent clinical and economic studies of daptomycin.
In 2008, Dr. Brown accepted a faculty position at The University at Buffalo with a clinical practice site at the University of Rochester Medical Center. After 5 years at University at Buffalo, he accepted his current position at the Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College.
Dr. Brown’s patient care activities, teaching, and research focus is in infectious diseases pharmacotherapy, pharmacoepidemiology, and using cutting-edge technologies to enhance clinical outcomes. He has also co-authored over 120 abstracts, journal articles, and book chapters on these topics and has been invited to present his research at seminars, grand rounds, and regional, national, and international meetings.
Dr. Brown is a board certified pharmacotherapy specialist, a fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy, and has served on medical advisory boards for several small biotech companies.
List of Awards
- Fellow of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy (2014)
- ASHP/OSUMC Jerry Siegel Clinical Achievement Award for Significant and Sustained Contributions to Research and Clinical Practice (2014)
- University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy Teacher of the Year (2013)
- New York State ACCP, Researcher of the Year (2012)
- Juba K, Khadem T, Hutchinson D, Brown J. Methadone and QTc Prolongation in Pain and Palliative Care Patients: A Case Control Study. The 2015 ACCP Annual Meeting, October 2015.
- Khadem T, Stevens V, Holt K, Hoffmann C, Dumyati GG, Brown J. Risk Factors for Carbapenem-non-susceptible Pseudomonas aeruginosa Infections Compared to Susceptible Counterparts: a Case-Control Study. I D Week. San Diego, CA October, 2015.
- Stenehjem EA, Brown J, Bookstaver PB, Haynes AM, Lopes C, Scoble PJ, Zhu H, Goldwater SH, Owens, RC. Factors Driving Emergency Department Revisits or Hospitalization Within 30 Days Post-Discharge in Patients with Acute Bacterial Skin and Skin Structure Infections (ABSSSI). I D Week. San Diego, CA October, 2015
- Stenehjem EA, Brown J, Bookstaver PB, Haynes AM, Lopes C, Scoble PJ, Zhu H, Goldwater SH, Owens, RC. Multicenter Study of Antimicrobial (AM) Treatment in Admitted (ADM) vs Not Admitted (NADM) Patients with Acute Bacterial Skin And Skin Structure Infection (ABSSSI). Annual Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), San Diego, CA, September, 2015.
- Nagel A, Ahmed-Sarwar N, Cipriano G, Brown J. Sitagliptin associated Pancreatic Carcinoma: A Review of the FDA AERS Database. The 2014 ACCP Annual Meeting, Austin TX, October 2014, Poster 124
- Khadem T, van Manen RP, Brown J. Azithromycin Associated Risk of Cardiovascular Death from Arrhythmia: A Review of the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System Database. The 2013. Annual Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), Washington, DC September, 2014. Poster 2325
- Khadem T, van Manen RP, Brown J. Azithromycin Associated Risk of Cardiovascular Death from Arrhythmia: A Review of the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System Database. The 2013 ACCP Annual Meeting, Albuquerque, NM, October, 2013. Poster 544.
- Khadem T, van Manen RP, Brown J. Impact of pharmacist-administered seasonal influenza vaccinations on influenza vaccination coverage rates for adults in New York State. The 2013 ACCP Annual Meeting, Albuquerque, NM, October, 2013. Poster 129.
- Choma A, Rightmier E, Huntress J, Dodds-Ashley E, Brown J. Comparative Vancomycin Exposure Targeting Trough Concentrations versus Area Under the Curve over Minimum Inhibitory Concentration (AUC24/MIC). Annual Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), Denver, CO, September, 2013. Poster 2394
- Wang I, Suen A, Khadem T, Brown J, Tsuji BT. Ceftaroline Pharmacodynamics against Accessory Gene Regulator Dysfunctional, Heterogeneous Vancomycin-Intermediate Staphylococcus aureus Bloodstream Isolates. Annual Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), Denver, CO, September, 2013. Poster 2161
- Weiland AW, Wrobel MJ, Brown J, Khadem T, McEvoy AM. Perceptions of New York Pharmacists Towards the Modernization of the State Prescription Drug Monitoring Program. American Pharmaceutical Association Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, March, 2013. Poster 421
- Diehl C, Prescott W, Brown J, Khadem T, McEvoy AM. Characterizing the Methods of Delivering Community Pharmacy-based Smoking Cessation Programs. American Pharmaceutical Association Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, March, 2013. Poster 61
- Coon S, Stevens V, Brown J, Wrobel MJ. Comparison of Product Knowledge and Confidence Between Pharmacists and Health Food Store Employees. American Society of Hospital Pharmacy, Midyear Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, December, 2012. Poster 2-049
- Onufrak N, Stevens V, Forrest A, Brown J. Association between Vancomycin AUC24/MIC and Attainment and Time-to-Clinical Cure among Patients with Enterococcal Bloodstream Infections. American Society of Hospital Pharmacy, Midyear Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, December, 2012. Poster 2-116
- Bossard W, Brown J, Albanese N, Slazak E, Stevens V. Anti-diabetic Agents and the Risk of Clostridium difficile Infections. American Society of Hospital Pharmacy, Midyear Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, December, 2012. Poster 2-153
- Trezza C, Brown J, Kelchlin PA, Holden PN, Lin Z, Forrest A, Tsuji B. An evaluation of the combination of daptomycin and rifampin against vancomycin-resistant Enterococci isolated from the bloodstream of neutropenic patients. At the 2012 ACCP Annual Meeting, Hollywood, FL, October, 2012. Poster 388.
- Soon RL, Turner SJ, Forrest A. Tsuji BT, Brown J. Pharmacokinetic (PK) / Pharmacodynamic (PD) Evaluation of the Efficacy and Safety of Daptomycin Against Staphylococcus aureus. Annual Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), San Francisco, CA, September, 2012. Poster A-605.
- Onufrak N, Stevens V, Brown K, Brown J. Vancomycin Dose and Duration of Therapy as Risk Factors for Nephrotoxicity in Adult Patients. Annual Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), San Francisco, CA, September, 2012. Poster A-615.
- Stevens V, Onufrak N, Brown K, Brown J. Average 24-hour Area Under the Vancomycin (V) Serum Concentration-Time Curve (AUC), Degree of Nephrotoxicity (NT), and Need for Dialysis. Annual Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), San Francisco, CA, September, 2012. Poster A-617.
- Nagel AK, Ahmed-Sarwar, Werner PM, Cipriano GC, VanManen RP, Brown J. Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 Inhibitor–Associated Pancreatic Carcinoma: A Review of the FAERS Database. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2015 Epub ahead of print.
- Ademen S, Brown J, Dave V. Colon-Targeted Oral Drug Delivery Systems: Design Trends and Approaches. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2015 Aug;16(4):731-41.
- Coon S, Stevens V, Brown J, Wolff SE, Wrobel MJ, Comparison of product knowledge and confidence between pharmacists and health food employees. Journal of the American Pharmaceutical Association 2015:e100-e107
- Hoffman C, Khadem T, Schweighardt A, Brown J. New Thoughts on the "Forgotten" Aspect of Antimicrobial Stewardship: Adverse Event Reporting. Pharmacotherapy. 2015;35:59–63
- Chiarella D, Khadem TM, Brown J, Wrobel MJ. Information Literacy Skills Retention Over the First Professional Year of Pharmacy School. Medical Reference Services Quarterly 2014;33:302-12.
- Khadem T, van Manen R, Brown J. How safe are recently FDA-approved antimicrobials? A review of the FDA adverse event reporting system database. Pharmacotherapy 2014;34:1324-9
- Brown J. Potential Pitfalls of Basing Specific Antibiotic Therapy on Rapid Susceptibility Reporting. American Journal of Health System Pharmacy 2014;71:1246
- Stevens V, Gieger K, Concannon C, Nelson RE, Brown J, Dumyati G, Inpatient Costs, Mortality, and 30-Day Readmission Related to Central Line-Associated Blood Stream Infections (CLABSI). Clinical Microbiology and Infection 2013; 10:1469-91.
- Gawronski KM, Goff DA, Brown J, Khadem TM, Bauer KA. Vancomycin AUC24/MIC and Time to Microbiological Clearance in Patients with Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia and Osteomyelitis. Clinical Therapeutics 2013; 38:772-9
- Chan B, Khadem T, Brown J. A Review of Tuberculosis with a Focus on bedaquiline. American Journal of Health System Pharmacy 2013;70:1984-94
- Turner S, Brown J, Paladino J. Protease Inhibitors for Hepatitis C: Economic Implications. Pharmacoeconomics 2013;31:739-751.
- Soon RL, Turner SJ, Forrest A, Tsuji B, Brown J. Pharmacokinetic (PK) / Pharmacodynamic (PD) Evaluation of the Efficacy and Safety of Daptomycin Against Staphylococcus aureus. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 2013;42:53-58
- Trezza C, Khadem T, Snyder C, Brown J. Fluoroquinolones and the Risk of Serious Arrhythmias. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2013;56;1356-57.
- Hutchinson D, Barkley M, Prescott W, Brown J. Title: Aztreonam Inhalation: An Evidence Based Review. Expert Opinion in Pharmacotherapy 2013;14: 2115-24.
- Thoman SJ, Heine AM, Lakshminrusimha S, Mathew B, Brown J, Fominaya CE, Johnson KK. The effect of caffeine on the development of necrotizing enterocolitis: A retrospective review. American Journal of Health System Pharmacy 2013;70:603-8.
- Geiger KL, Brown J. Rapid MRSA susceptibility testing and implications for antimicrobial stewardship. American Journal of Health System Pharmacy. 2013; 70:335–42.
- Okon E, Engell C, van Manen R, Brown J. Tigecycline-related pancreatitis: A review of spontaneous adverse events reports. Pharmacotherapy 2013;33:63-68.
- Thomas S, Wrobel MJ, Brown J. Bed bugs: A primer for health-system pharmacists. American Journal of Health System Pharmacists 2013; 70:126–30.
- Fominaya CE, Doloresco F, Brown J. Clostridium difficile infection trends in US community hospitals. Epidemiology and Infection 2012;140:1251-53.
- Khadem T, Dodds-Ashley E, Wrobel M, Brown J. Antimicrobial stewardship: A matter of process or outcome? Pharmacotherapy 2012; 32:688-712.
- Stevens V, Lodise TP, Tsuji B, Stringham M, Butterfield J, Dodds-Ashley E, Brown K, Forrest A, Brown J. The utility of APACHE II scores for confounder control and prediction of mortality among ICU and non-ICU patients with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) bacteremia. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology. 2012;33:558-564.
- Brown J, Fominaya C, Christenson K, McConnell S, Lamp KC. Daptomycin use in critical care patients. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2012;46:495-502.
- Stevens V, Onufrak N, Brown J. Fidaxomicin: Balancing evidence and economics. American Journal of Health System Pharmacy 2012;69:931.
- Brown J, Brown KA, Forrest A. Vancomycin AUC24/MIC in MRSA complicated bacteremia and infective endocarditis patients and its association with attributable mortality during hospitalization. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2012;56:634-638.
- Zietler K, Salvas B, Stevens V, Brown J. Aztreonam lysine for inhalation: New formulation of an old antibiotic. American Journal of Health System Pharmacy. 2012;69:107-15.
Practice site: URMC Infectious Disease Consult Service
Courses taught/coordinated: Vancomycin and aminoglycoside Pharmacodynamics and Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacy Calculations
- Senior Contributing Editor for Therapeutics, American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, 2013-
- Finger Lakes Regional Economic Council, Member of the Life Sciences Committee