Faculty & Staff Detail
Jill E. Lavigne
Office: WEGPHR 340
Phone: (585) 385-5255
Education: Ph.D., Health Services Research and Policy, University of Rochester
M.P.H., University of Rochester
M.S. Public Policy Analysis, University of Rochester
B.A., Duke University
Dr. Jill Lavigne teaches two required courses in the Pharm.D. curriculum covering pharmacoeconomics, pharmacoepidemiology, population medicine, and the health care system. She advises the College’s interdisciplinary Open School Chapter of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, and serves as a master trainer for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality’s TeamSTEPPS curriculum.
Dr. Lavigne is a member of the Wegmans School of Pharmacy’s committees for interprofessional education and strategic planning (administrative leadership). She previously served on the Wegmans School of Pharmacy Curriculum Committee and the College’s committees for Rank and Tenure, Long Term Planning and Budget, Faculty Council, and Faculty Assembly.
Dr. Lavigne is co-principal investigator of the Rochester Area Collaborative Center of Excellence in Pain Education (funded by the National Institutes of Health Pain Consortium, PI: OJ Sahler, MD, University of Rochester Medical Center) which designs video-based case studies in pain management for use in medical, pharmacy, nursing, and other health professional schools to improve pain education and ultimately practice. She has been selected to serve as a reviewer for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services multi-million dollar awards programs: Transforming Clinical Practice Initiative (2015), Healthcare Innovation Awards (2012-2013), and the Bundled Payments Initiative (2012).
Dr. Lavigne currently serves on the editorial board of the Journal of the American Pharmacists’ Association. She has published in such journals as BMJ, Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research, American Journal of Public Health, the American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, and the Journal of the American Pharmacists’ Association.
Selected Presentations and Publications (2012-2015)
*Pharm.D. student, **Post-doctoral fellow
- Lavigne JE. Suicidal Ideation and Behavior as Adverse Events of Prescribed Medications:An Update for Pharmacists. Journal of the American Pharmacists’ Association. In press.
- Decker A, Cipriano G, Tsouri G, Lavigne J. Monitoring Pharmacy Student Adherence to World Health Organization Hand Hygiene Indications Using Radio Frequency Identification. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. In press.
- Lavigne JE, Curran K.* Teaching the World Health Organization's How to Handrub and 5 Moments of Hand Hygiene in a Healthcare Delivery course at a New School of Pharmacy. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 7 (2015):207-213.
- Lavigne JE, Clauser A.* ACOs in Community Pharmacy: Walgreens and the Medicare Shared Savings ACOs. NYS ACCP Annual Meeting, Rochester, NY, September 2014.
- Abu-Baker A, Lavigne JE. Developing Population Based Health Literacy and Pain Management Quality Improvement through Community-Based Data Collection in Sequential Community Experiential Education Rotations and a Required Population Based Healthcare Course: Tools and Pilot Outcomes. Peer-reviewed workshop. International Social Pharmacy Workshop. Boston, MA. August 2014. Research and Social & Administrative Pharmacy. Sept-Oct 2014. Vol 10:5:E73-E74.
- Lavigne JE. NIH Center of Excellence in Pain Education Interprofessional Case Studies: Applications in Social Pharmacy and Experiential Education. Peer-reviewed workshop. International Social Pharmacy Workshop. Boston, MA. August 2014. Research and Social & Administrative Pharmacy. Sept-Oct 2014. Vol 10:5:E74.
- Prohotsky DL,* Abu-Baker A, Conn K,** Volk C,* Novello F,* Lavigne JE. Health literacy in community pharmacy and neighborhood poverty: Student data collection and analysis in experiential education. American Association of the Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting 2014, Texas 2014.
- Novello F,* Abu-Baker A, Lavigne JE. Mapping OTC Analgesic Availability at Community Pharmacies. Institute for Healthcare Improvement Annual Meeting, IHI Open School Graduate Student Storyboard Session. Orlando, Florida, December, 2013.
- Avery L, Wedow R.* Lavigne JE. Ciprofloxacin Automatic Stop on Pneumonia Pathway Orders: Impact on Clinical Outcomes. Infectious Diseases Society of America, San Francisco, CA, October, 2013.
- Lavigne JE. Population Based Pain Management for Interprofessional Collaborative Education: A Pilot Study. 4th International Congress on Neuropathic Pain. Toronto, Canada, May 2013.
- Weiss E,* Lavigne JE. Effects of Interactive Voice Response Technology Interventions on Health Outcomes: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. Student Research Poster session. Institute for Healthcare Improvement Annual Meeting. Orlando, FLA. December 2013.
- Vietri S,* Lavigne JE. Applying architectural intentional design to reduce vectors of transmission of anti-microbial resistant microorganisms in inpatient settings: Design findings and recommendations for quality improvement. Student Research Poster session. Institute for Healthcare Improvement Annual Meeting. Orlando, FLA. December 2013.
- Gilligan AM, Myers J, Nash JD, Lavigne JE, Moczygemba LR, Plake KS, Quinones-Boex A, Holdford D, West-Strum D, Warholak T. Educating Pharmacy Students
- Lavigne JE. Educating pharmacy students to improve quality in a new school of pharmacy. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2012;4:212–216.
- O’Brocta R, Abu-Baker A, Budukh P, Gandhi M, Lavigne JE, Birnie C. A Continuous Professional Development Process for First-Year Pharmacy Students. American Journal of Pharmacy Education. 2012;76(2):29.
- Lavigne JE, Heckler C, Mathews J, Palesh O, Kirshner JJ, Lord R, Jacobs A, Amos E,* Morrow G, Mustian K. Gabapentin 300mg versus 900mg versus placebo for anxiety symptoms in 306 breast cancer survivors: Secondary analysis of a randomized controlled double-blind clinical trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2012. 136:479-86.
- Lavigne JE, McCarthy M, Wagoner L, Chapman R, Knox KL. Exposure to prescription drugs with warnings for suicide among Air Force personnel who died by suicide, 2006 – 2009. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior. 2012. 42(5): 561-566.
- Lavigne JE, Au A,** Jian R, Wang Y, Good CB, Glassman PA, Cunningham F. Utilization of prescription drugs with warnings of suicidal thoughts and behaviors in the US and the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), 2009. Journal of Pharmaceutical Health Services Research. 2012. 3:157-63.
- Lavigne JE. (Ed). Frontiers in Suicide Risk Research, Treatment and Prevention. Nova Science Publishers. In press.
- Lavigne JE, King DA, Lu N, Kemp, J, Knox KL. Pharmacist and pharmacy staff knowledge and attitudes towards suicide and suicide prevention: Lessons from a national training program in the US Department of Veterans Affairs. In: Lavigne JE. (ED). Frontiers in Suicide Risk Research, Treatment and Prevention. Nova Science Publishers. In press.
- Lavigne JE. Comparative safety of multiple drug regimens with adverse effects of suicidal ideation and behavior in bipolar disorder: Design Considerations. In: Lavigne JE. (ED). Frontiers in Suicide Risk Research, Treatment and Prevention. Nova Science Publishers. In press.
- Lavigne JE. Smoking cessation agents and suicide. British Medical Journal. 2009 Nov 5;339-b4360.
Current Funded Grants
Role: Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Sahler)
Title: Rochester Area Collaborative Center of Excellence in Pain Education (RACCoEPE)
Source: National Institutes of Health Pain Consortium
Role: Evaluator (PI: Cipriano)
Title: Improving Medication Adherence: Embedding Clinical Pharmacists into Primary Care Source: Greater Rochester Health Foundation
Dates: 2014 - 2017