Faculty & Staff Detail
Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., CACP, BAAP, BCPS
Title: Associate Professor
Office: WEGPHR 240
Phone: (585) 899-3890
Education: Pharm.D., University of Buffalo
B.S.Pharm., University of Buffalo
Dr. Elizabeth (Lisa) Phillips received her B.S. in Pharmacy from the State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo. She entered the profession as a hospital pharmacist but returned to SUNY at Buffalo 4 years later to obtain her Pharm.D.
Dr. Phillips has spent the last 15 years developing a collaborative Ambulatory Care practice. Her clinical practice site is located within the Internal Medicine Ambulatory Care clinics at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY. The Internal Medicine Ambulatory Clinic is a training site for the Internal Medicine Physician Residence. As such, she has been actively involved in the educational training of the medial residents and the site provides an interprofessional environment with collaboration between physicians, nurses, social workers, case managers, pharmacists and pharmacy learners. The clinic also serves as the ambulatory care experience for the hospitals PGY-1 Pharmacy Residents and is the training site for the collaborative Upstate/SJFC PGY-2 in Ambulatory Care. Dr. Phillips serves as Residency Program Director (RPD) for this ASHP accredited post-graduate year 2 (PGY-2) residency in Ambulatory Care.
Dr. Phillips provides clinical pharmacy services ranging from education of medical residents and other health care providers; to providing pharmacotherapy consultations; identifying opportunities to improve medication utilization and a focuses on the safe transitions of care. Additionally, clinical pharmacists participate in Collaborative Drug Therapy Management (CDTM) for Diabetes, Antithrombotic Care and Management of Cardiovascular risk (hypertension and cholesterol). Her practice site was part of the NYS CDTM demonstration project and data from pharmacist-lead initiatives was included in report to the Department of Education [pdf].
Dr. Phillips has been an active member in the professional society of the Central New York Society of Health Systems Pharmacists (CNYHSP) and the state wide Association of Health Systems Pharmacists (NYS-ASHP). She has been an invited speaker for several statewide organizations providing education on topics of diabetes, anticoagulation, and CDTM. She serves on the National Certification Board of Anticoagulation Providers (NCBAP).
Awards and Recognition
- 2014 - Presidents Clinical Team of the Year Award –SUNY Upstate Medical University: Recognized in conjunction with UHCC Ambulatory Care colleagues: Jennifer Morgan, Pharm.D., Mary Jo Lakomski, B.S.Pharm., CDE, Gregory Szymaniak, Pharm.D., Eric Sidman, Pharm.D.
- 2014 - Clinical Research Award – NYSCHP ($2000): Recognized in conjunction with PGY-2 Ambulatory Care Resident – Eric Sidman, Pharm.D.
- 2013 - Teacher of the Year – Wegmans School of Pharmacy
- 2013 - Excellence in Innovation Award – PSSNY
- Diabetes Outcomes in a Global Health Population. Mary Jo Lakomski, B.S.Pharm., CDE, BCACP; Peter Cronkright, M.D.; Astha Ramaiya; Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., BAAP, CACP (North American Refugee Conference - Rochester, NY June 2014)
- Hemoglobin A1c results of a pharmacist-led diabetes ambulatory care clinic as part of collaborative drug therapy management (CDTM). Rachel Saroka, Pharm.D. Candidate , Mary Jo Lakomski, R.Ph., CDE, BCACP and Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., CACP, BAAP (ASHP Midyear 2013)
- Implementation and Evaluation of a Strategic Professional Development Program Melinda Lull, St. John Fisher College; Jane M. Souza, St. John Fisher College; Lisa Avery, St. John Fisher College, Wegmans School of Pharmacy; Gabriela Cipriano, St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Pharmacy; Vivek S. Dave, St. John Fisher College; Lisa Phillips, St. John Fisher College; Melanie Woytowish, St. John Fisher College; Christine R. Birnie, St. John Fisher College (AACP 2013)
- "Medication reconciliation and adherence in ambulatory care. Time is now, but how?" Celia Lu, Pharm.D.; Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., BAAP, CACP; Gregory Szymaniak, Pharm.D., BCACP (ASHP Midyear 2012)
- "Erythema Nodosum in a Refugee: Think TB" L. Camaione, Pharm.D., P. Cronkright, MD, FACP, Gregory Szymaniak, Pharm.D., Elizabeth Phillips, Pharm.D., CACP. Upstate Medical University; Syracuse, NY and St. John Fisher College - Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Rochester, NY (North American Refugee Conference June 2012)
- "Vitamin B 12 supplementation In a Pregnant Nepali Refugee" Marissa Cavaretta, Pharm.D., BCPS; Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., CACP, BAAP, Anthony DiRubbo, M.D. SUNY Upstate Medical University and St. John Fisher College - Wegmans School of Pharmacy, Rochester, NY (North American Refugee Conference June 2012)
- "The 360 Initiative". Marissa Cavaretta, Pharm.D., Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., Greg Szymaniak, Pharm.D. (accepted for ASHP, December 2011)
- "Clinical Impact of Multifaceted Educational Interventions on the Recognition and Treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease in a General Medicine". Margaret MacDougall, M.D., Ph.D., Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., Siriam Narsipur, M.D. (American Society of Nephrology, November 2010)
- "Evaluation of a Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE) scheme for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) Prevention.": Andrew Burgdorf, Pharm.D., Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D. (ASHP, 2007)
- "Evaluation of Serum Digoxin Concentrations in Chronic Heart Failure Patients Seen in n Internal Medicine Ambulatory Care Clinic": Kristyn Churmusi, Pharm.D., Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., William Darko, Pharm.D. (ASHP, 2006)
- "The Clinical and Economic Considerations for Use of Fondapariunx in Patients with Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia (HIT)": Sarabeth Baxter, Pharm.D., Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D. (ASHP, 2006)
- "Chromogenic Factor Xa assay and Heparin Monitoring": Daniel Giesler, Pharm.D., Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., Katlin Banki, M.D. ( Eastern States, 2006)
- "Assessment of the use of spirometry in the diagnosis and management of COPD patients treated in a residency training medical clinic": Sam Hamade, M.D., Vincent Frechette, M.D., Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D. (American Thoracic Society 2005)
- "Use of Dietary Interventions in Blood Pressure Control in a Resident Staffed Ambulatory Care Practice": Julie McNairn, M.D., Surabhi Mukopadhyay, M.D., Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., Vincent Frechette, M.D. (AMA 2004)
- "Impact of pharmacists discharge counseling in a hospital setting on patients understanding of their medications. " Danielle Blais, Pharm.D., Laura Roman, R.Ph., Joseph Medicis, Pharm.D. Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D. (Eastern States 2004)
- "The Role of an Ambulatory Care Clinical Pharmacist in Reducing Hemoglobin A1c in a Residency Run, Urban, Internal Medicine Clinic": Jeanna M. Marraffa, Pharm.D., Lisa Phillips, Pharm.D., Ruth Weinstock, M.D., Ph.D. (Eastern States 2002)
- Current Controversies with Recent Cholesterol Treatment Guidelines. Submitted for publication to: Journal of Pharmacy Practice, February 2015
- New Oral anticoagulants (NOAC) in the Treatment of Pulmonary Embolism: Efficacy, Bleeding risk and Monitoring. Thrombosis 2013
- Recognition of Chronic Kidney Disease in a General Medicine Outpatient Clinic. Renal Failure, Early Online: 1-6, (2011)
- Low molecular weight heparins may alter point of care assay. Pharmacotherapy 2005;25(10):1341-1347.
- Colony Stimulating Factors: Use in the Pediatric Population, Part I, Journal of Pediatric Health Care,1994;Mar-Apr;8(2):82-6.
- Colony Stimulating Factors: Use in the Pediatric Population, Part II, Journal of Pediatric Health Care,1994;Jul-Aug;8(4):185-8.
- Establishment of Safe and Effective Plasma Drug Levels in Simulated Emergency Situations Using a Two-Compartment Glassman Patient. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, vol.53,Fall 1989.