Faculty & Staff Detail
Fang Zhao, Ph.D.
Title: Professor and Interim Chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Office: WEGPHR 337
Phone: (585) 385-5296
Education: Ph.D., University of Kansas
M.S., University of Kansas
B.A., University of Kansas
Dr. Zhao teaches pharmaceutics, drug delivery, and pharmacokinetics. She joined St. John Fisher College in 2007 after working in the pharmaceutical industry for 11 years as a formulation scientist.
Her current research interests are (a) compounded formulations for pediatric and palliative care patients, (b) characterization of physicochemical properties of drugs and excipients, and (c) development and evaluation of oral, ophthalmic, and parenteral formulations.
Dr. Zhao also provides consulting and contract lab services to pharmaceutical companies. Currently the research lab is equipped with DSC, TGA, dynamic vapor sorption, polarizing microscope, HPLCs, dissolution, disintegration, particle size analyzer, Retsch ball mill, and stability chambers.
- S Rush, S Kim, S Hughes, J Gilbert, P Ciancaglini, and F Zhao. Stability of glutamate-aspartate cardioplegia additive solution in polyolefin IV bags. Pharm. 50:522-525 (2015).
- D Prohotsky, K Juba, and F Zhao. Formulation and stability of an extemporaneously compounded oral solution of chlorpromazine HCl. J. Pain Palliat. Care Pharmacother. 28:367-370 (2014).
- D Prohotsky, S Hughes, and F Zhao. Stability of levetiracetam oral solution repackaged in oral plastic syringes. J. Health Syst. Pharm. 71:219-222 (2014).
- E Almagambetova, D Hutchinson, D Blais and F Zhao. Stability of diluted adenosine solutions in polyolefin infusion bags. Pharm. 48:484-488 (2013).
- F Zhao. Innovative drug delivery and formulation designs to deter drug abuse and misuse related to suicide. In Frontiers in Suicide Risk: Research, Treatment, and Prevention. J Lavigne Ed. Nova Science Publishers, Inc. Hauppage, NY USA. 2012.
- F Zhao, G Derbin, S Miller, S Badawy, and M Hussain. Acid catalyzed hydrolysis of BMS-582664: degradation product identification and mechanism elucidation. Pharm. Sci. 101:3526–3530 (2012).
- D Prohotsky and F Zhao. A survey of top 200 drugs – Inconsistent practice of drug strength expression for drugs containing salt forms. Pharm. Sci. 101:1-6 (2012).
- M Kaltenbach, D Hutchinson, J Bollinger, and F Zhao. Stability of diluted adenosine solutions in IV bags stored at two different temperatures. Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm. 68:1533-1536 (2011).
- I Kimaru, F Zhao, and K Chichester. Spectrophotometric quantification of ibuprofen release in dissolution testing. A Pharmaceutical analysis experiment for instrumental analysis laboratory. Chem. Educator. 15:484-487 (2010).
- D Hutchinson, Y Liou, R Best, and F Zhao. Stability of extemporaneously prepared rufinamide oral suspensions. Ann. Pharmacother. 44:462-465 (2010) [PMID: 20150505]
- S Badawy, M Hussain, F Zhao, Q Ye, Y Huang, V Palaniswamy. Degradation pathways of a corticotropin-releasing factor antagonist in the solution and solid States. J. Pharm. Sci. 98:2636-2647 (2009) [PMID: 19072860]
- C Scheuer, F Zhao, T Erb, G Orsborn. Multi-purpose solutions and rates of biocidal efficacy. Eye & Contact Lens: Science & Clinical Practice. 35:88-91 (2009) [PMID: 19265330]
- S Badawy, D Gray, F Zhao, D Sun, A Schuster, and M Hussain. Formulation of solid dosage forms to overcome gastric pH interaction of the factor Xa inhibitor, BMS-561389. Pharm. Res. 23:989-996 (2006) [PMID: 16715389]
- S Burke, E Phillips, F Zhao, V Barniak, and J Salamone. Ophthalmic compositions comprising a branched, glycerol monoalkyl compound and a fatty acid monoester. US Patent No. 7,670,997 B2. Mar 2, 2010.
- F Zhao, V Malayev, V Rao, and M Hussain. Effect of sodium lauryl sulfate in dissolution media on dissolution of hard gelatin capsule shells. Pharm. Res. 21:144-148 (2004).
- Y Wu, F Zhao, and M Paborji. Effect of fill weight, capsule shell, and sinker design on the dissolution behavior of capsule formulations of a weak acid drug candidate BMS-309403. Pharm. Dev. Tech. 8:379-383 (2003).
- T Wang, Z Zhang, O Wallace, M Deshpande, H Fang, Z Yang, L Zadjura, D Tweedie, S Huang, F Zhao, S. Ranadive, B Robinson, Y Gong, K Ricarrdi, T Spicer, C Deminie, R Rose, H Wang, W Blair, P Shi, P Lin, R Colonno, and N Meanwell. Discovery of a 4-benzoyl-1-[(4-methoxy-1H-pyrrolo[2,3-b]pyridin-3-yl)oxoacetyl]-2-(R)-methylpiperazine (BMS-378806): a novel HIV-1 attachment inhibitor that interferes with CD4-gp120 interactions. J. Med. Chem. 46:4236-4239 (2003).
- F Zhao, D Stein, M Paborji, P Cash, B Root, Z Wei, and C Knupp. Characterization of a backbone cleavage product of BMS-196854 (Oncostatin M), a recombinant anti-inflammatory cytokine. Pharm. Dev. Tech. 6:255-261 (2001).
- C Schöneich, F Zhao, J Yang, and B Miller. Mechanisms of methionine oxidation in peptides. In Therapeutic Protein and Peptide Formulation and Delivery. Z Shahrokh, V Sluzky, J Cleland, S Shire, T Randolph, Eds. ACS symposium series 675. American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C. 1997. pp79-89.
- F Zhao, E Ghezzo-Schöneich, G Aced, J Hong, T Milby, and C Schöneich. Metal-catalyzed oxidation of histidine in human growth hormone. Mechanism, isotope effects, and inhibition by a mild denaturing alcohol. J. Biol. Chem. 272:9019-9029 (1997).
- F Zhao, J Yang, and C Schöneich. Effect of polyaminocarboxylate metal chelators on iron-thiolate induced oxidation of methionine- and histidine-containing peptides. Pharm. Res. 13:931-938 (1996).
- C Schöneich, F Zhao, K Madden, and K Bobrowshki. Side chain fragmentation of N-terminal threonine or serine residue induced through intramolecular proton transfer to hydroxy sulfuranyl radical formed at neighboring methionine in dipeptides. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 116:4641-4652 (1994).
- C Schöneich, F Zhao, G Wilson, and R Borchardt. Iron-thiolate induced oxidation of methionine to methionine sulfoxide in small model peptides. Intramolecular catalysis by histidine. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1158:307-322 (1993).
- F Zhao, C Birnie, A Corigliano, S Hughes, J Loughner, and S Valentine. The design of a sterile product laboratory module as preparation for an institutional IPPE course. AACP (American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy) Annual Meeting and Seminars. Jul 2011.
- J Cottom, L Avery, D Ventura, and F Zhao. Proposed role of pyrogens in vancomycin infusion-related reactions. APhA (American Pharmacists Association) Annual Meeting. Mar 2011.
- S Stoneham and F Zhao. Cost comparison analysis of contact lens rewetting drops. APhA (American Pharmacists Association) Annual Meeting. Mar 2011.
- F Zhao, C Birnie, P Budukh. Punch or Tamp - Capsule compounding in pharmaceutics lab courses. Abstract accepted for AACP (American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy) Annual Meeting and Seminars. July 2010.
- I Kimaru, R Best, F Zhao. UV/Visible spectrophotometric quantification of ibuprofen release in dissolution testing: A pharmaceutical analysis experiment for instrumental analysis. ACS (American Chemical Society) National Meeting. March 2010.
- R Best and F Zhao. Effect of sodium lauryl sulfate on dissolution of hard gelatin capsule formulations. AAPS (American Association of Pharmaceutical Sciences) Annual Meeting. November, 2009.
- F Zhao, P Budukh, C Birnie. Bridging drug physicochemical properties with formulation design — a two-semester series of student projects on pharmaceutics. AACP (American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy) Annual Meeting and Seminars. July 2009.
- C Birnie, F Zhao, P Budukh, and M Pankaskie. Enhancing student awareness of the quality aspects of compounded pharmaceutical preparations. AACP (American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy) Annual Meeting and Seminars. Jul 2008.
- C Scheuer and F Zhao. Rate of disinfection efficacy of multi-purpose contact lens care solutions. 110th Annual AOA (American Optometric Association) Conference. Jun 2007.
- T Adamus, F Zhao, M Coffey and M Bergren. Concentrated multi-purpose contact lens care solutions and biocidal efficacy. ARVO (Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology) Annual Conference. May 2007.
- Nano size me – a snapshot of current nanotechnology applications in drug delivery. Rochester Area Society of Health System Pharmacist CE program. May 2010.
- Invited speaker “A spoonful of salt helps medicine go down.” SUNY Brockport. Undergraduate Summer Research Expo. Sep 2009
- Keynote speaker “A spoonful of salt helps medicine go down.” Rochester Section of American Chemical Society 54th Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium. Apr 2009
- To dye or not to dye – the use of colorant in gelatin capsules. Wegmans School of Pharmacy Profess Seminar Series. Mar 2009.
- Recent advances in ocular drug delivery to treat posterior eye diseases. Rochester Area Society of Health System Pharmacist CE program. Oct 2008.
- S Burke, E Phillips, F Zhao, V Barniak, and J Salamone. Ophthalmic compositions comprising a branched, glycerol monoalkyl compound and a fatty acid monoester. US Patent No. 7,670,997 B2 (2010).
- F Zhao, S Mao, V Barniak, and K Millard. Contact lens care composition. US Patent Application No. 20080214421.
- F Zhao, V Barniak, W Lang, K. Millard, and Y Lai. Ophthalmic composition containing a polyol-acid copolymer. US Patent Application No. 20080197324.
- F Zhao, V Barniak, M Coffey, and R Braun. Packaging solutions. US Patent Application No. 20090100801.
- $5,010 faculty development grant (co-investigator) from St. John Fisher College. Introduce the chemistry and pharmacy students to Raman spectroscopy and its application in the analysis of pharmaceutical products. May 2011 – current.
- $117,000 grant (part of $285,000 total) from US Dept of Education for purchase of pharmaceutics equipment at Wegmans School of Pharmacy. Apr 2009 – current.
- $125,000 grant from Kilian J. and Caroline F. Schmitt Foundation for establishing a preformulation laboratory at Wegmans School of Pharmacy. Jun 2008 – May 2009.
- $25,000 seed grant for research from Bausch & Lomb. Jan 2008.
Service Contracts and Consulting
- $70,000 contract from Lexicon Pharmaceuticals in Houston, Texas. Solubility evaluation and enhancement of LX1031. Jan 2010 – Dec 2010.
- $4,000 contract from Bausch & Lomb. Evaluation of contact lens packaging solutions using moisture sorption/desorption analyzer. Mar – Aug 2010.
- Consultant, Nixon Peabody LLP Attorneys At Law. Patent litigation on an ANDA application of an oral drug product. Apr 2009 – May 2011.
- $8,000 contract from Lexicon Pharmaceuticals in Houston, Texas. Nanosized and lipid formulation development of LX4211 to enhance oral bioavailability. May – Aug 2009.
- Consultant, Phacila Inc. Formulation enhancement to overcome food effect for an oral drug product. Aug 2009 – Jan 2010.