Faculty & Staff Detail
Christine R. Birnie, Ph.D.
Title: Professor and Interim Dean, Wegmans School of Pharmacy
Office: WEGPHR 312
Phone: (585) 385-7202
Education: Ph.D., University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
B.S.Pharm., Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science
Dr. Birnie received her B.S. in Pharmacy from the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia and continued her studies at the same institution, completing a Ph.D. in the area of Pharmaceutics. After a few years working in pharmaceutical industry, Dr. Birnie joined the ranks of academia, joining the faculty of Palm Beach Atlantic University in West Palm Beach, FL., helping to develop the compounding laboratories and pharmaceutical science curriculum in the newly founded school. In 2006, Dr. Birnie joined the Wegmans School of Pharmacy as a founding faculty and was promoted to Department Chair, Pharmaceutical Sciences in 2010.
In addition to her administrative responsibilities as department chair, Dr. Birnie remains active in the classroom team teaching pharmacy calculations, pharmaceutics and the compounding laboratory. In addition, she also developed and teaches an elective course entitled Introduction to Medical Missions, which also includes students from nursing and pre-professional disciplines. She also precepts final year students in clinical rotations related to international medical missions and local service learning rotations.
Dr. Birnie’s research interests include the development and formulation aspects of semi-solid dosage forms, stability of compounded products, veterinary pharmacy, medical missions and academic course design. She has stayed active in scholarship, publishing and presenting poster/podium presentations on topics related to all of these areas and is a regular speaker nationally on the topic of Pharmacy Missions.
Dr. Birnie also is actively involved in service, both to the profession and the global community at large. She is an avid proponent for service and volunteerism both locally and abroad. She has led and participated in over 15 student-based medical mission trips around the world and travels regularly to both El Salvador and India. She has served in elected positions and boards for the Christian Pharmacists Fellowship International and advisory committee for the Global Missions Health Conference. She remains actively involved in American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP), having served on the Compounding Task Force, Pharmaceutics Section programming committee, abstract reviewer and NIP grant reviewer. She is a 2012 graduate of the AACP Academic Leadership Fellowship program (ALFP). Dr. Birnie is also a member of AAPS, APhA, CMDA and is a registered pharmacist in PA, NJ and FL.
Over the years, Dr. Birnie has been the recipient of several awards, including Teacher of the Year in 2006, CPFI’s Warren Weaver Service Award in 2008, SJFC’s Diversity Innovation Bricoleur Award in 2010 and a Fulbright Scholar to India in 2013.
- Pignato, A. and Birnie, C. Analysis of Compounded Pharmaceutical Products to Teach the Importance of Quality in an Applied Pharmaceutics Laboratory Course. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 78(3):61, 2014.
- Birnie, C. Acquisition of Medications for Short-Term Mission Trips. Christianity and Pharmacy, 14(4):22-26, 2013.
- Gleason B., Siracuse M., Moniri N., Birnie C., Okamoto C., Crouch M. Evolution of the Preprofessional Pharmacy Curricula. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 77(5):95, 2013.
- Rahiman, R. Gohel, N., Patel, V., and Birnie, C. Affordable Care Act's Impact on Free and Charitable Clinics. The Bulletin, 79(3):20-21, 2013.
- Mehta, R., Zhang, M. and Birnie, C. Caring for the Refugee Patient: A Pharmacist's Role. New York State Pharmacist: Century II, 87(4):26-28, 2013.
- Narolis, K., Tran, A. and Birnie, C. Impacting Your Local Community: Pharmacy Volunteers in Local Free Clinics. New York State Pharmacist: Century II, 87(1):20-22, 2013.
- Shrewsbury, R., Augustine, S., Birnie, C., Nagel, K., Ray, D., Ruble, J., Scolaro, K. and Athay Adams, J. Assessment and Recommendations of Compounding Education in AACP Member Institutions. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 76(7):S9, 2012.
- O'Brocta R, Abu-Baker A, Budukh P, Gandhi M, Lavigne J, Birnie C. A Continuous Professional Development Process for First-Year Pharmacy Students. Am J Pharm Educ, 76(2):29, 2012.
- Birnie, C., Dahler, A. and Kosh, M.C., Students Care for Underserved Patients in Pune, India. Christianity and Pharmacy, (14)2:14-16, 2011.
- Dugan, D., Kyle, J., Birnie, C. and Wahba, W. Integrating Spirituality in Patient Care: Preparing Students for the Challenges Ahead. Current in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, 3(4):260-6, 2011.
- Pignato, A., Pankaskie, M. and Birnie, C. Stability of Methimazole in Poloxamer Lecithin Organogel to Determine Beyond-Use Date. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding, 14(6):522-5, 2010.
- Zakian, A., Duong, C., Woloszyn, M., DeLucenay, A., Kane, M., Patel, K. and Birnie, C. An OTC Drug for Humility. Christianity and Pharmacy, (12)1, 2009.
- Birnie, C. Brown, D. Planning a Pharmacy Missions Elective as an Advanced Practice Experience. Christianity and Pharmacy, 10(2), 2007.
- DeLucenay, A., Duclos, E., Dahler, A., Lampell, E. and Birnie, C. Learning the Richness of Life on a Mission Trip to El Salvador. Christianity and Pharmacy, 10(2), 2007.
- Eley, John G. and Birnie, Christine R. Retention of Compounding Skills Among Pharmacy Students. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 70(6):132, 2006.
- Kane, M., Beirnes, E., Pinder, P. and Birnie, C. Mabuhay: A Health Teaching and Service Medical Mission Trip to the Philippines. Christianity and Pharmacy, 9(2):22-23, 2006.
- Williams, H. and Birnie, C. Design and Implementation of a Pharmacy Evangelism Tool (PET). Christianity and Pharmacy, 8(2): 23-24, 2005.
- Hall, L., Lombardo, L., Hrabchak, R. and Birnie, C. The Story of His Glory: A Pharmacy Student Mission Trip to Bolivia. Christianity and Pharmacy, 8(1):26-27, 2005.
- Birnie, Christine. Resources for Today's Compounding Pharmacist. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, (44):4, 526, 2004.
- Kokonis, N., Birnie, C. Pharmacy Workship in Ecuador: Work and Worship at the Center of the World. Christianity and Pharmacy. 6(2):20-23, 2003.
- Birnie, C. Missionary Pharmacy: All You Need is a Willing Heart – A Missionary Venture to Nepal. Christianity and Pharmacy. 4(1):6-9, 2001.
- Birnie, C., Malamud, D., Thomulka, K., Schwartz, J. and Schnaare, R. Antimicrobial and Diffusional Correlation of N-Alkyl Betaines and N-Alkyl-N,N-Dimethylamine Oxides from Semi-Solids. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science. 90(9):1386-1394, 2001.
- Birnie, C., Malamud, D. and Schnaare, R. Antimicrobial Evaluation of N-Alkyl Betaines and N-Alkyl-N,N-Dimethylamine Oxides with Variations in Chain Length. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 44(9):2514-2517, 2000.
Recent Poster Presentations (past 3 years)
- Manning, K., Wilbert, K., Habershaw, A. and Birnie, C. "Effect of education and socioeconomic status on incidence of diabetes and hypertension in Pune, India." American Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting, March 2013
- Richards, K., Krier, M., Gandhi, M., and Birnie, C. "Development of student-run health clinics for professional improvement." American Society of Health System Pharmacists Mid-Year Meeting, Dec, 2012.
- Birnie, C. and Jimenez, S. "Personal Impact of a Service-Learning Medical Missions Elective Course on Pharmacy Student's Attitudes and Value." American Association of College of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, July 2012.
- Budukh, P. and Birnie, C. "Development, Implementation and Evaluation of a Pharmaceutical Biotechnology Elective Course in Hybrid Format." American Association of College of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, July 2012.
- Koester, Nicolle A., Parker, Karen M., Cunningham, Vivian, and Birnie, Christine. "Acute Clinical Conditions of School-Aged Children In a Rural Kenyan Community." American Society of Health System Pharmacists Mid-year Meeting, Dec 2011.
- Birnie, C. and Budukh, P. "Evaluation of Student Performance Using Multiple Choice and Open-Ended Examination Questions in a Pharmacy Calculations Course." American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, July, 2011. AJPE, 75(5), Article 105, p. 36 (2011)
- Budukh, P. and Birnie, C." Lecture podcasts - Supplement or Replacement for In-Class Lectures in Traditional Classroom Courses?" American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, July, 2011. AJPE, 75(5), Article 105, p. 37, 2011.
- Nagel, A., Parkhill, A., Lavigne, J., Phillips, L., Slish, J., Abu-Baker, A., Corigliano, A., Lowry, B., Traina, A., Birnie, C., Pankaskie, M. "Synchronizing Basic and Clinical Science Education at the Wegmans School of Pharmacy," American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, July 2011.
- Lull ME, Mathews JL, Jannetta EC, Birnie CR. "Student-led learning in the pharmaceutical sciences curriculum." American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Jul 2011.
- Zhao, F., Birnie, C., Corigliano, A., Hughes, S., Loughner, J., and Valentine, S. "The design of a sterile product laboratory module as preparation for an institutional IPPE course." American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting and Seminars, Jul 2011.
- Pankaskie, M., Pignato, A. and Birnie C., "Development of a Stability-Indicating Assay for Methimazole in Semi-Solid Dosage Forms," American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. Nov 10.
- Zhao, F., Birnie, C., and Budukh, P. "Punch or Tamp – Capsule compounding in pharmaceutics lab courses," American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, Jul 10. Abstract: AJPE 2010; 74(5):96.
- O'Brocta, R., Abu-Baker, A., Birnie, C., Lavigne, J., Valesano, M. "A Continuous Professional Development (CPD) Student Program," American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, Jul 10. Abstract: AJPE 2010; 74(5):96.
Recent Podium Presentations (past 3 years)
- Birnie, Christine R. "Medication Errors: Avoiding the Miscalculation," Pharmaceutical Society of Rochester (PSR), Rochester, NY, March 2013.
- Birnie, Christine R. "Caring for the Underserved: A Medical Mission project to Pune, India," Rochester Christian Physicians Breakfast, Rochester, NY, January 2013.
- Birnie, Christine R. "Culture that Cares: Caring for the Underserved," International Student Network Culture Café, Nazareth College, Rochester, NY, November 2012.
- Birnie, Christine R. "Evaluating Success as a Department Chair," Department Chairs Session, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, Kissimmee, FL, July 2012.
- Moniri N., Gleason B., Birnie C., Crouch M., Okamoto C., Siracuse M., McKay A. The evolving landscape of pre-professional pharmacy curricula. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, Kissimmee, FL, 2012.
- Birnie, Christine R. "Serving the Underserved, Both Locally and Globally," Union University School of Pharmacy, Jackson, TN, March 2012.
- Birnie, Christine R. "The US Pharmacy Education System," Dr. D. Y. Patil Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, Pune, India, January 2012.
- Birnie, Christine and Krause, Jane. "The Use of Supportive Personnel: Doctor of Pharmacy Students as Teaching Assistants in the laboratory Setting," Laboratory Instructors Special Interest Group (SIG) Session, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, July 2011.
- Birnie, Christine R. "Preparing Pharmacists for Lives of Missionary Service," Prayer Breakfast , American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, July 2011.
- Birnie, Christine R. "Medical Missions: Serving Our Global Communities," Pharmaceutical Society of Rochester (PSR), Rochester, NY, January 2011.
- Birnie, Christine R. "Planning an Effective Pharmacy on Short-Term Medical Mission Projects," 14th Annual Global Missions Health Conference, Louisville, KY, November 2010.