The pharmaceutical sciences are a group of interdisciplinary areas of study involved with the design, action, delivery, disposition, and use of drugs. This field draws on many areas of basic and applied science such as chemistry, biology, mathematics, physics, and engineering. The pharmaceutical sciences are generally divided into the following subdivisions:
- Pharmacology: the study of the biochemical and physiological effects of drugs on organisms
- Pharmacodynamics: the study of the cellular and molecular interactions of drugs with their receptors
- Toxicology: the study of the harmful or toxic effects of drugs
- Pharmacokinetics: the study of the factors that control the concentration of drug at various sites in the body
- Pharmaceutics: the study and design of drug dosage forms for optimal delivery, stability, pharmacokinetics, and patient acceptance
- Medicinal Chemistry: the study of drug design to optimize the pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and synthesis of new drug candidates
- Pharmacogenomics: the study of the inheritance of characteristic patterns of interaction between drugs and organisms
As a team, the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences promotes a passion for learning and scholarship demonstrated through a commitment to community partnership and student mentoring.
Faculty of the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences are responsible for all of the basic science courses taught in the first 3 years of the Pharm.D. curriculum.
» Learn more about Teaching in the Pharmaceutical Sciences
Since its inception, the department has been continuously successful in obtaining outside funding to support the research and scholarship of both faculty and students.
» Learn more about Research in the Pharmaceutical Sciences
The department is actively engaged in community partnerships aimed at providing students and the global community with unique learning opportunities and solutions to today's health care problems.
» Learn more about Service in the Pharmaceutical Sciences
Engaged in a variety of educational, research, service, and advisory projects, the faculty of the department represent the disciplines of pharmaceutics, molecular pharmacology, cell biology, immunology, toxicology, and medicinal chemistry.
» Meet the Faculty in the Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Birnie Receives Fulbright Scholar Award
- Pharmacy Faculty Member and Student Travel to India on Medical Mission
- The Wegmans School of Pharmacy Class of 2016 Receives White Coats
- Pharmacy Students Present at National Meetings
- Pharmacy Faculty and Staff Volunteer at Mary’s Place
- Pharmacy Faculty Attain Certifications
- Pharmacy Residency Programs Receive Accreditation