Faculty & Staff Detail
Alexander DeLucenay, Pharm.D., BCACP
Title: Assistant Professor
Office: WEGPHR 236
Phone: (585) 385-8373
Education: Ambulatory Care Residency, Mission Hospitals and Mountain Area Health Education Center (Asheville, NC)
Pharm.D., St. John Fisher College
B.S., St. John Fisher College
Dr. DeLucenay received his Pharm.D. from the Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College in 2010, following his Bachelor of Science in Biology from Fisher in 2006. He continued his training as an ambulatory care pharmacist in a PGY1 Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Residency at Mission Hospital and the Mountain Area Health Education Center in Asheville, North Carolina. He is currently a Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist.
Dr. DeLucenay has a passion for underserved populations and working with chronic disease states. At his practice site at the outpatient clinics of Rochester General Hospital, he participates in interdisciplinary team-based management of various disease states including diabetes, hypertension, and anticoagulation. He has developed a collaborative drug therapy management protocol with the attending physicians at his site, allowing for the co-managing of chronic disease states by permitting him to write prescriptions for both medications as well as related labs.
Dr. DeLucenay has participated in many medical mission trips to Central America to serve the peoples of El Salvador, Honduras, and the Dominican Republic. As a faculty member, he has joined Dr. Birnie, Dr. Lull, and Dr. Parkhill in leading the annual SJFC trip to El Salvador for a week-long medical mission trip to provide medical services in an interdisciplinary team.
In the classroom, Dr. DeLucenay spends most of his time coordinating and teaching in the Communications and Counseling course, an area that he is very passionate about. He also assists in coordinating the Concepts in Pharmacy Practice course in the P3 year, assisting students in applying concepts from both their clinical and scientific training with their communication training.
- Excellence in Action Award (RRHS). Award given to team for developing interdisciplinary hypertension clinic model.
- IPRO Quality Award. Award given for recognition of excellence in care and service for improving individual patient care in preventing oral anticoagulant adverse effects.
- DeLucenay A, Scott M, Bunting B. Development of pharmacist-led wellness clinic using the clinical pharmacist practitioner model. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2013 March; 53(2) 118-119
- Alex DeLucenay, Michael Van Ornum. Ask a Pharmacist: Affordable Pharmacy Resources for Volunteers. The Bulletin: Monroe County Medical Society. Fall, 2009.
- Annie Zakian, Celine Duong, Matt Woloszyn, Alex DeLucenay, Madoussou Kane, Krutika Patel, Christine Birnie. An OTC Drug for Humility. Christianity and Pharmacy, (12)1, 2009.
- Alex DeLucenay, Elizabeth Duclos, Adrienne Rosenbauer, Elysa Lampell, Christine Birnie. Learning the Richness of Life on a Mission Trip to El Salvador. Christianity and Pharmacy 10 (2), 2007.
- DeLucenay A, Corigliano A, et al. Impact of live versus delayed feedback in a simulated patient care experience. Presented AACP Annual Meeting, July 2013.
- Nelson P, Monahan M, Smith M, Birnie C, DeLucenay A. Incidence of Undiagnosed Diabetes and Hypertension in San Miguel, El Salvador. Presented at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, December 2013.
- Pena A, Zhang M, Tran A, DeLucenay A, Birnie C. Development and evaluation of community health education programs in free inner city clinics prepared and presented by pharmacy students. Presented at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, December 2013.
- Monahan M, Smith M, Nelson P, Birnie C, DeLucenay A. Incidence of Undiagnosed Hypertension in Villages in South East Kenya. Presented at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, December 2013.
- DeLucenay A, Schweitzer K, Myrka A, et al. Comparison of Anticoagulation Outcomes in a Paper-Based Medical Chart versus Electronic Medical Record. Presented at THSNA, April 2014.
- Curran K, Nelson P, DeLucenay A. Evaluation of the Implementation of an Interdisciplinary Clinic for the Treatment of Hypertension Utilizing Collaborative Drug Therapy Management. Presented at ASHP Midyear Meeting, December 2014.
- DeLucenay A, Lampell E, Torcello D, Gueli A, Birnie C. Evaluation of Patient Understanding of Medications on a Medical Mission Trip. Presented at ASHP Midyear Meeting, December 2009.
- Update on the Treatment of Hypertension and Dyslipidemia. CE Presentation given for PSSNY in Rochester NY, October 2014
- Collaborative Drug Therapy Management. CE Presentations given for RASHP and WNYCHP in Rochester and Buffalo, NY, March 2013 and March 2014.
- Update on oral anticoagulants: pathophysiology, pharmacology, and clinical use. CE Presentation co-taught for the Wegmans School of Pharmacy Alumni Continuing Education event, May, 2013.
- Assessing the Significance of Common Drug Interactions. CE Presentation co-taught for the Wegmans School of Pharmacy Alumni Continuing Education event, May, 2012.
- Dr. DeLucenay enjoys working on research that shows the clinical benefit of pharmacists in the primary care setting, as well as evaluation of different care and teaching models.