Wegmans School of Nursing Participating in Nationwide Sneak Peek Screening of Award-Winning Documentary September 19
On Wednesday, September 19, the St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing is participating in a nationwide sneak peek screening of “ESCAPE FIRE: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare,” an award-winning documentary that explores the nation’s broken healthcare system. The School of Nursing is one of 50 healthcare institutions across the country hosting a campus screening and discussion. The screening is also being supported by the Student Nurses Association, Delta Sigma Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International (the Honor Society for Nursing), and the Wegmans School of Pharmacy. The screening will take place from 6:00–9:00 p.m. in Basil 135, with a panel discussion immediately following the film.
The film premiered at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival and exposes the perverse nature of American healthcare, contrasting powerful forces opposing change with compelling solutions and stories of pioneering leaders and the patients they seek to help. The film has won numerous awards at film festivals, including the Human Rights Award at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival and the Social Issue Award at the Silverdocs Film Festival.
“ESCAPE FIRE” gained access to patients and leaders around the country, including Dr. Don Berwick, former head of Medicare and Medicaid; Dr. Steven Nissen, chair of Cardiovascular Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic; Dr. Dean Ornish, founder and president of the Preventive Medicine Research Institute; and Dr. Andrew Weil, founder of the University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine. It also follows young doctors such as Dr. Erin Martin, a primary care physician frustrated at having too little time to help patients because of her clinic’s push to see as many people as possible due to the pressures of reimbursement.
The panel will include Dr. Tom Mahoney, MD, Associate Director of the Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency;
Mel Callan, FNP, Highland Family Medicine, Past-President of the New York State Nurses Association; Dr. Francesca Decker, Resident, Highland Family Medicine; and Dr. Jill Lavigne, Wegmans School of Pharmacy. It will be moderated by Dr. Marilyn L. Dollinger, Associate Dean, Wegmans School of Nursing.
The film’s national release date is October 5 and will be shown in theaters across the country, on iTunes, and via Video On Demand.
Latest Nursing News
- Fisher Receives $410,000 Higher Ed Capital Funding for Science Building
- Senator Funke Announces Grant to Support Fisher’s Academy for Leadership in Long Term Care
- Weinschreider Presents Workshop at International Conference
- Course Teaches Community-Based Nursing
- Wegmans School of Nursing Launches Three New Master’s Programs
- Nelson-Tuttle Named Advanced Pediatric Nurse of the Year by March of Dimes
- Nursing Student’s Community Bike Program Transforms a Neighborhood
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Nursing Students Spend Summer in Internships Learning Patient Care and More