Wegmans School of Nursing Participating in Nationwide Sneak Peek Screening of Award-Winning Documentary September 19
On Wednesday, September 19, the St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Nursing is participating in a nationwide sneak peek screening of “ESCAPE FIRE: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare,” an award-winning documentary that explores the nation’s broken healthcare system. The School of Nursing is one of 50 healthcare institutions across the country hosting a campus screening and discussion. The screening is also being supported by the Student Nurses Association, Delta Sigma Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International (the Honor Society for Nursing), and the Wegmans School of Pharmacy. The screening will take place from 6:00–9:00 p.m. in Basil 135, with a panel discussion immediately following the film.
The film premiered at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival and exposes the perverse nature of American healthcare, contrasting powerful forces opposing change with compelling solutions and stories of pioneering leaders and the patients they seek to help. The film has won numerous awards at film festivals, including the Human Rights Award at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival and the Social Issue Award at the Silverdocs Film Festival.
“ESCAPE FIRE” gained access to patients and leaders around the country, including Dr. Don Berwick, former head of Medicare and Medicaid; Dr. Steven Nissen, chair of Cardiovascular Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic; Dr. Dean Ornish, founder and president of the Preventive Medicine Research Institute; and Dr. Andrew Weil, founder of the University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine. It also follows young doctors such as Dr. Erin Martin, a primary care physician frustrated at having too little time to help patients because of her clinic’s push to see as many people as possible due to the pressures of reimbursement.
The panel will include Dr. Tom Mahoney, MD, Associate Director of the Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency;
Mel Callan, FNP, Highland Family Medicine, Past-President of the New York State Nurses Association; Dr. Francesca Decker, Resident, Highland Family Medicine; and Dr. Jill Lavigne, Wegmans School of Pharmacy. It will be moderated by Dr. Marilyn L. Dollinger, Associate Dean, Wegmans School of Nursing.
The film’s national release date is October 5 and will be shown in theaters across the country, on iTunes, and via Video On Demand.
Latest Nursing News
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Markwick Elected President of Monroe County Health Department Board of Directors
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative
- Four Nursing Faculty Present at National Conference
- Wegmans School of Nursing Earns 10-Year Accreditation
- Humanistic Treatment in Mandated Counseling Focus of Faculty’s Research Article
- Rice Contributes Two Chapters to Counseling and Psychopathology Encyclopedia
- Smith Selected to Edit Nursing Leadership Textbook