Countdown to Commencement Video Series
It's our final week for the "Countdown to Commencement" videos, and this week's video features Quarnisha White, a nursing major from Rochester. She was nominated by Tara Preteroti, assistant director of the Higher Education Opportunity Programs office.
White transferred to St. John Fisher College from Monroe Community College in the spring of 2009. She is a mother of two young children. On campus, she has stayed very active with the HEOP office, offering advice and mentoring some younger students. Off campus, she is involved with her church and is a volunteer for the Genesis House, a Salvation Army shelter for runaway teens.
According to Preteroti, she is a "strong role model to other students." She also credits White's determination and professionalism, along with her talent and resiliency. In the nomination, Preteroti said, "Quarnisha is extremely hard working, and is an excellent example of a student who has taken advantage of her opportunities."
White says she was inspired to study nursing after going through a relative's medical situation with them, and watching how the hospital and staff operated. She started as a home health aide, and eventually decided nursing was the career for her.
She said graduation day will be "magical" for her, and she has already accepted a position at Strong Memorial Hospital. Eventually, she would like to return to Fisher to continue her education and become a Family Nurse Practitioner.
Meet this week's featured senior, Quarnisha White! From everyone in the Fisher family, best of luck to you!
Latest Nursing News
- Mental Health Counseling Program Earns Grant to Fund New Training Program
- Fisher Event Registers 60 Bone Marrow Donors
- Three from Fisher Attend Undergraduate Research Programs Institute
- Wegmans School of Nursing Simulation Center Given Prestigious PACE Award by Laerdal Medical
- Nursing Sim Center Featured in Rochester Business Journal
- Markwick Featured on Fox Rochester
- Markwick Named New York State Nurse Practitioner of the Year
- Internships Immerse Students in the Life of a Nurse
- Nursing Alumna Given Future Nurse Leader Award
- 2016 Nursing Graduates Earn 100 Percent Pass Rate on Licensure Exam