Countdown to Commencement Video Series
It's our final week for the "Countdown to Commencement" videos, and this week's video features Quarnisha White, a nursing major from Rochester. She was nominated by Tara Preteroti, assistant director of the Higher Education Opportunity Programs office.
White transferred to St. John Fisher College from Monroe Community College in the spring of 2009. She is a mother of two young children. On campus, she has stayed very active with the HEOP office, offering advice and mentoring some younger students. Off campus, she is involved with her church and is a volunteer for the Genesis House, a Salvation Army shelter for runaway teens.
According to Preteroti, she is a "strong role model to other students." She also credits White's determination and professionalism, along with her talent and resiliency. In the nomination, Preteroti said, "Quarnisha is extremely hard working, and is an excellent example of a student who has taken advantage of her opportunities."
White says she was inspired to study nursing after going through a relative's medical situation with them, and watching how the hospital and staff operated. She started as a home health aide, and eventually decided nursing was the career for her.
She said graduation day will be "magical" for her, and she has already accepted a position at Strong Memorial Hospital. Eventually, she would like to return to Fisher to continue her education and become a Family Nurse Practitioner.
Meet this week's featured senior, Quarnisha White! From everyone in the Fisher family, best of luck to you!
Latest Nursing News
- School of Nursing Students Walk to Support Suicide Prevention
- School of Nursing Faculty Members Publish Study on Leadership in Nursing Education
- Nursing Students Spend Summer in Internships Learning Patient Care and More
- Grant Funds Substance Abuse Screening and Intervention Training for Pharmacy, Nursing, and Mental Health Counseling Students
- Fisher Celebrates Opening of New Integrated Science and Health Sciences Building
- Critical Care Nurse Publishes Article Co-Authored by School of Nursing Faculty
- Cooney Miner Named Honorary Fellow by Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
- Nursing Graduate Earns Research Merit Award at National Conference
- Markwick Elected President of Monroe County Health Department Board of Directors
- Cooney Miner Selected to Participate in Rochester’s Anti-Poverty Initiative