Faculty & Staff Detail
Charlene M. Smith
Title: Professor and Chair, Undergraduate Nursing
Office: WEGNUR 201C
Phone: (585) 899-3877
Education: DNS, University at Buffalo
M.S., University at Buffalo, Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner
M.S.Ed., SUNY Brockport
B.S., Nazareth College
Diploma in Nursing, Highland Hospital School of Nursing
AAS, Monroe Community College
Certifications: Academy of Nursing Education Fellow
Women's Health Nurse Practitioner
Certified Nurse Educator
Registered Nurse - Board Certified
A registered professional nurse since 1976, Dr. Char Smith has worked as a staff nurse, charge nurse, nursing supervisor, school nurse, clinical instructor, and clinical care manager. Since 1989, Dr. Smith has been a nurse educator in both practice and academic settings. She was the director of Professional Practice and Development at Highland Hospital in Rochester, NY, an affiliate of the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC), and recently stepped down as a per diem research coordinator and consultant to the Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research Council at Highland Hospital. Dr. Smith also worked per diem at the URMC: Strong Memorial Hospital in the Center for Nursing Professional Development. In the past she taught at the University of Rochester School of Nursing and was an adjunct clinical instructor in Obstetrics at St. John Fisher College and SUNY College at Brockport. She is a full-time professor and the undergraduate chair at the Wegmans School of Nursing, St. John Fisher College with current and past teaching responsibilities in the baccalaureate, RN to BSN online, master's in nursing education, and doctoral-level nursing programs.
Dr. Smith has presented regionally, nationally, and internationally and consulted on topics related to educational design, competency assessment, program and project management, and online learning. At the 35th Annual International Nursing & Midwifery Research & Education Conference in 2016 at the Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland, Drs. Smith, Karen Parker and Kylene Abraham, were awarded the best international presentation. Current presentations include:
- Smith, C. (July 22, 2016). Podium presentation & panel moderator (contributed). The NPD: Scope and Standards of Practice Applied to NPD Leadership. Annual Convention, Association for Nursing Professional Development, Pittsburgh, PA.
- C. (June 17, 2016). Workshop presentation (invited). The flipped classroom in nursing professional development. Organization of Healthcare Educators (OHE), Los Angeles, CA.
- Smith, C. (April 16, 2016). Keynote presentation (invited). Finding your courageous voice. 2016 The Greater Rochester Area Finger Lakes Chapter of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses: Linkages Courageous Care, Rochester, NY.
- Smith, C., Abraham, K., & Parker, K. (April 11, 2016). Podium presentation (contributed). Leading the Way with Interprofessional Education and TeamSTEPPS®: An Academic-Practice Application. 2016 NYONEL Annual Leadership Conference: Integrated Voices Shaping the Future of Healthcare, Tarrytown, NY.
- Smith, C. (September 11 & 12, 2015). Workshop presentation (invited). Association for Nursing Professional Development: Nursing professional development certification preparation course. Virtua Health, Inc.: Mount Laurel, NJ.
- Smith, C. (August 28, 2015). Workshop (invited). Project management for the nurse educator. Mayo Clinic Nurse Educators, Rochester, Minnesota.
- Smith, C. (July 15, 2015). Podium presentation (contributed). The flipped classroom in nursing professional development. Annual Convention, Association for Nursing Professional Development, Las Vegas, NV.
- Smith, C. (July 14, 2015). Pre-conference workshop (invited). Excel at program and project management for organizational innovation. Annual Convention, Association for Nursing Professional Development, Las Vegas, NV.
- Smith, C., Abraham, K., & Parker, K. (May 27, 2015). Podium presentation (contributed). Teamwork and collaboration: Integration of interprofessional education across pharmacy and nursing curricula. 2015 QSEN National Forum, San Diego, CA.
- Smith, C. (May 13, 2015). Webinar presentation (invited). Mapping a project plan. Association for Nursing Professional Development.
- Smith, C. (September 19, 2014). Podium presentation (contributed). Scripting for cognitive rehearsal and effective communication. National League for Nursing Annual Summit, Phoenix, AZ.
- Smith, C. (July 19, 2014). Podium presentation (contributed). Program and project management skills for organizational innovation. Annual Convention, Association for Nursing Professional Development, Orlando, FL.
- Smith, C. (March 11, 2014). Webinar presentation (invited). The flipped classroom in nursing professional development. Association for Nursing Professional Development.
Dr. Smith’s research interests and publications in refereed journals are primarily related to topics on evidence-based education, nursing professional development, and online learning. A chapter author for the first edition (1995) of the Core Curriculum for Staff Development on consulting in staff development, she also authored a chapter in the fourth edition (2013) of the Core Curriculum for Nursing Professional Development on teaching/learning methodologies. Dr. Smith contributed to two textbooks that were awarded the American Journal of Nursing, Book of the Year Award for Nursing Education: T. Bristol and J. Zerwekh (Eds.). Essentials of e-learning for nurse educators in 2011 and D. Billings (Ed.) Conversations in e-Learning in 2004. Current articles include:
- Parker, K., Harrington, A., Smith, C., Sellers, K., & Millenbach, L. (2016). Creating a nurse-led culture to minimize horizontal violence in the acute care setting: A multi-dimensional approach. Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 32 (2), 56-63.
- Serwetnyk, T., Filmore, K., VonBacho, S., Cole, R., Miterko, C., Smith, C., & Smith, C.M. (2015). Comparison of online and traditional basic life support training methods for registered professional nurses. Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 31(6), E1-10.
- Smith, C. (2015). Ask an Expert: Lead and do not follow. Journal for Nurses in Professional Development, 31(5), 309-10.
- Dever, K., Roman, T., Smith, C., Bowllan, N., Dollinger, M., & Blain, B. (2015). Comparing professional values and authentic leadership dimensions in the socialization of baccalaureate nursing students: A longitudinal study. Journal of Nursing Education, 54(6), 339-42.
- Riggall, V., & Smith, C. (2015). Creating a sustainable interprofessional team training program: Initial results. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 29(3), 147-55.
Dr. Smith is a member of the National Faculty for the Association for Nursing Professional Development (ANPD) preparing the curriculum and teaching the certification preparation course for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification examination in Nursing Professional Development. In 2014 she was selected by the ANPD's Board as the Co-Editor of the textbook, Smith, C. M., & Harper, M. G. (Eds.). (2016). Leadership in Nursing Professional Development: An organizational and system focus. Chicago, IL: Association for Nursing Professional Development. In addition, she co-authored four chapters in the textbook.
Dr. Smith is board certified through the ANCC in nursing professional development since 1992 and the National League for Nursing as a Certified Nurse Educator. In 2013 she was inducted as a Fellow into the Academy of Nursing Education by the National League for Nursing. Dr. Smith is a past recipient of the National Nursing Staff Development Organization's (NNSDO) Research Grant Award for her research comparing instructional design strategies for an online continuing education program on pain management for nurses. In 2016 Dr. Smith was awarded the St. John Fisher College Trustees’ Award for Distinguished Scholarly Achievement. This award is the highest honor that the Board of Trustees can bestow on a faculty member, second only to an honorary degree. It is given to no more than one full-time faculty member each year in recognition of outstanding scholarly work, ranging from writing books and articles, to presenting papers at professional conferences.
A member of ANPD (formally NNSDO) since 1991, she holds additional professional memberships in Sigma Theta Tau International, the New York Organization of Nurse Executives and Leaders, the National League for Nursing, the American Nurses Association - NY, and the Finger Lakes Organization of Nurse Executives and Leaders.