Whether it is serving the community right here in Rochester, or across the world in an impoverished country, Fisher Nursing students get hands-on experience throughout their studies.
Global Nursing Opportunities
Fisher Nursing students have the opportunity to travel far and wide to provide global medical care as part of their coursework.
Recent trips have brought students to:
- Barcelona, Spain
- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Masaya, Nicaragua
- Ollantaytambo, Peru
- Boqueron, El Salvador
- Waterford, Ireland
In April 2014, under the guidance of Dr. Nancy Wilk, six students traveled to Costa Rica and Nicaragua for two weeks with the International Service Learning Organization. The students conducted assessments for community members as part of a free nursing clinic, determining a possible diagnosis for each patient and suggesting treatments along with a physician.
That same month, a group of ten students—along with Dr. Kylene Abraham and Dr. Cynthia McCloskey—traveled to Peru to provide health screening and health education to children at four different schools in Rumira, Soccmo, Patachancha, and Ollantaytambo.
Read more about past nursing trips abroad:
- Nursing Seniors Go Global for Final Clinicals
- Nursing Students Complete Final Rotation in Peru
- Students and Faculty Complete 7th Medical Mission to El Salvador
- Nursing Seniors Return from Clinical Rotations in Peru
Nursing Clinical Experiences
The Wegmans School of Nursing places students in health care systems, community-based agencies, and private practices in the Rochester region.
In addition to Fisher's full-time faculty, the health care professionals in these practice settings participate in the education of Fisher's undergraduate nursing students. They share their knowledge, serve as role models, motivate, and mentor the next generation of Fisher nurses.
- Unity Hospital (Rochester Regional Health)
- Strong Memorial Hospital (URMC)*
- Highland Hospital (URMC)*
- Rochester General Hospital (Rochester Regional Health)
- Newark-Wayne Hospital (Rochester Regional Health)*
- FF Thompson Hospital (URMC)*
*Designated Magnet Recognition Program® Hospital. The program recognizes healthcare organizations for quality patient care, nursing excellence, and innovation in professional nursing practice.
- Monroe County Health Department
- Heritage Christian Homes
- Hill Haven Nursing Home
- St. John’s Home
- Elder One – Rochester General Hospital
- Upstate Home Care
- VA Community and Home-Based Program
- Rush Henrietta Schools Nursing
- Lifetime Care
- Home Care of Rochester
- Visiting Nurse Service
- Rochester City School District Nursing Centers
One unique aspect of Fisher's nursing program is the opportunity to participate in the College’s study abroad program. Some sophomores in their spring semester may participate.