Mental Health Counseling Objectives & Structure
Upon graduation from the Mental Health Counseling Program, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate professional skills required for working in a multidisciplinary community agency, business, college/university, or health setting.
- Demonstrate a variety of differential assessment practices consistent with the DSM-IV-TR.
- Demonstrate the ability to use a diverse range of research-based intervention strategies.
- Develop appropriate intervention plans based upon a knowledge of culturally relevant variables in client care including ethnicity, religion, socioeconomic levels, gender, sexual orientation, and disability status.
- Demonstrate professional behavior consistent with ethical guidelines of the Mental Health Counseling Profession.
You may take courses on a full-time or part-time basis (see Program Requirements). You are required to complete 60 credit hours of coursework, including a supervised practicum experience with a minimum of 100 clock hours and a supervised internship with a minimum of 900 clock hours. This supervised application of counseling skills in various community sites will gives you the opportunity to grow into an effective mental health counselor.
Because of the demands of our program and sequencing of courses, students are admitted for fall semester only. Our curriculum was developed according to the New York State Department of Education requirements for licensure as a mental health counselor.
The best thing about the Mental Health Counseling program at St. John Fisher College is the people I have met through the program, including teachers and students. They have all been so supportive during this program and have made the experience that much more enjoyable.
What I appreciate most about the Mental Health Counseling faculty in the program is their availability to the students. I have never had to look far for advice, support or guidance.
My field placements taught me that the education I have obtained in the Mental Health Counseling program at SJFC has prepared me to work in the field of Mental Health Counseling. The hands- on experience has allowed me to apply what I have learned academically to real life situations.