DNP Criteria for Admissions
Students interested in the post baccalaureate program should consult the admission criteria for the Master's Program in Advanced Practice Nursing.
Candidates for the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program should:
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Have earned a 3.3 GPA in master’s work.
- Be a graduate of an accredited Advanced Practice Nursing (APN) program. An APN program is defined as nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, certified registered nurse anesthetist, or nurse midwife program.
- Have a NYS License as a registered nurse, NYS certificate as an advanced practice nurse, or eligibility and national professional certification in your APN specialty, if eligible. (Students from other states will need to supply appropriate licensure and certification credentials.)
- Provide proof of immunizations.
- Have a minimum of one full-time post-master’s year of clinical experience or equivalent prior to entering the DNP clinical course.
- Have taken an undergraduate statistics course within the last 5 years or Master’s in Nursing within the last 10 years.
- Currently be practicing as an APN.
The admissions process for the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program involves two phases:
Phase #1: Candidates for admission are required to submit:
- A completed Application Form [pdf] or Online Application.
- Two letters of recommendation from:
- A doctorally-prepared academician or a health care provider.
- A supervisor in an employment setting.
- A practicing APN familiar with the applicant’s intellectual ability, academic achievement, clinical expertise, and professional commitment.
- Current résumé of no more than five pages.
- Copies of all professional licenses and certifications.
- Writing sample in the form of a one-page essay outlining the reasons for applying to the DNP program and the student’s short-term and long-term goals after finishing the DNP program.
- One professional writing sample of no more than five pages (i.e. position paper, program proposal, analysis of problem, excerpt from capstone).
- An on-site writing exercise.
Phase #2: Applicants who meet the requirements will be required to participate in a formal interview process.