DNP Criteria for Admissions
Note: If you are interested in the post-baccalaureate program, consult the admission criteria for the M.S. in Advanced Practice Nursing program.
DNP Admissions Requirements
- Submit official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Have earned a 3.3 GPA in master’s work.
- Be a graduate of an accredited advanced practice nursing program. An advanced practice nursing program is defined as a nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, certified registered nurse anesthetist, or nurse midwife program.
- Have a NYS license as a registered nurse, NYS certificate as an advanced practice nurse, or have eligibility and national professional certification in an APN specialty, if eligible. (Students from other states will need to supply appropriate licensure and certification credentials.)
- Provide proof of immunizations.
- Have a minimum of one full-time year of post-master’s clinical experience or equivalent prior to entering the DNP clinical courses.
- Have taken an undergraduate statistics course within the last five years or have earned a master’s in nursing within the last ten years.
- Currently be practicing as an advanced practice nurse.
DNP Admissions Process
Submit the following:
- Completed Online Application or Application Form [pdf].
- Two letters of recommendation from:
- A doctorally-prepared academician or a health care provider.
- A supervisor in an employment setting.
- A practicing APN familiar with the applicant’s intellectual ability, academic achievement, clinical expertise, and professional commitment.
- Current résumé of no more than five pages.
- Copies of all professional licenses and certifications.
- Writing sample in the form of a one-page essay outlining the reasons for applying to the DNP program and the student’s short-term and long-term goals after finishing the DNP program.
- One professional writing sample of no more than five pages (i.e. position paper, program proposal, analysis of problem, excerpt from capstone).
- An on-site writing exercise.
If you meet the requirements for admission, you will be invited to participate in a formal interview process.