Undergraduate Clinical Preceptors for NURS 449
(Final Semester Senior Year)
- Welcome to St. John Fisher’s senior nursing student preceptorship.
- Thank you for lending your time and expertise.
- This page and the linked documents will explain the purpose, expectations and paperwork related to this experience.
Clinical Preceptorship Purpose
- The student is expected to follow your schedule.
- 110 hours need to be completed
- The student will fill out this time sheet at your first meeting and submit a copy to their clinical faculty instructor.
- You and the clinical instructor are to be notified of any changes in schedule by the student.
- Preceptor Time Sheet must be signed by the preceptor to verify all hours.
Clinical Skills Checklist
- The student should provide you with a Clinical Skills Checklist [pdf].
- This will assist in planning experiences as you assess the student's progress.
- Please review this form to understand the student's past experience.
- The checklist should be updated during the preceptorship but all skills do not have to be demonstrated for the student to pass this course.
- You will be asked to complete a Preceptor Evaluation of Student [pdf] at midway (~60 hr) and at completion of preceptorship hours.
- The same form is used for both evaluations.
- Please notify clinical faculty if the student is at risk for being unsuccessful in meeting competency for the preceptorship.
- This form is signed by the preceptor and student and turned in to clinical faculty upon completion of the preceptorship.
- Review roles of preceptor, student, and faculty
- Read and understand preceptorship goals and learning outcomes
- Read and sign preceptor agreement with student
- Fill out time sheet with student and sign
- Be aware that the student will be completing log/blog for each clinical day
- Complete Clinical Skills Checklist
- Complete and sign mid and final student evaluations