Mission, Vision, and Goals of the School of Business
The School of Business of St. John Fisher College will be recognized as a premier School of Business by offering student-focused programs, informed by quality research, that emphasize professional competencies and ethical business practices. (Approved October 2010).
The School of Business prepares professionally competent* and ethically responsible graduates for careers as managers and professionals primarily for local and regional business. The school emphasizes excellence in teaching, close interaction with students, and recognizes that excellent teaching is informed by faculty actively engaged in research and scholarship. The faculty members produce research published in peer reviewed journals, and other recognized outlets for intellectual contribution that advances the scholarship of teaching, business practice and disciplinary knowledge. (Revised 2004, Re-visited Annually)
*As evidenced by graduates demonstrating competency in communication, business knowledge, teamwork and critical thinking.
Undergraduate Program Learning Goals
- Core Business Knowledge - Graduates will be knowledgeable in the functional and related areas of business.
- Effective Communication - Students will develop effective written and oral presentation skills.
- Collaboration - Graduates will work effectively in teams in order to accomplish team objectives.
- Social Responsibility - Graduates will demonstrate knowledge of legal and ethical issues in the business environment.
- Critical Thinking - Students will use critical-thinking skills to become more effective problem solvers and strategic thinkers.
Graduate Program Learning Goals
- Leadership - Graduates will demonstrate the capacity to lead in organizational situations.
- Communication – Graduates will demonstrate the capacity to communicate effectively in organizational situations.
- Application of Business Knowledge - Graduates will demonstrate the capacity to critically analyze situations and apply knowledge in an effective and socially responsible manner.
- Teamwork – Graduates will demonstrate appropriate teamwork capability.