Museum Studies Certificate Requirements
Please Note: The Undergraduate Catalog contains the most up-to-date Museum Studies Certificate Requirements including course descriptions.
The Museum Studies Certificate Program requires 15 credit hours consisting of two required courses (6 credits) and three electives (9 credits). Coursework for the certificate may be used toward the College's Core Requirements, the major, and/or the minor.
If interested in the certificate, please contact the program director to begin the scheduling of your coursework, especially the internship experience.
Museum Studies Certificate
Required Courses (6)
- ARTS/MSTD 228D - P3 Introduction to Museum Studies
- MSTD 490 - Internship*
Elective Courses (9)
Choose three (3) electives from the following courses:
- AMST/ARTS 201C - P1 Picturing the Past
- ARTS/MSTD 229D - P3 This Old House - Historic Site Administration
- COMM 269 - Web Design
- HIST 202 - P1 Women and Gender in the 19th Century**
- HIST 296D - History of Rochester**
- HIST 298D - New York State History**
- HIST 390 - Public History: Historians and the Community
- HIST 395 - The Usable Past
*Your internship must be taken in your major or minor department. The internship must: take place with a museum, archive, or historic site; include an analytic research paper on a significant aspect of museum studies, as appropriate to the particular internship experience; and be approved in advance by the program director, regardless of what other requirements the internship course has for the department in which it listed.
**Only one course from HIST 202, 296D, and 298D may be applied to the certificate.